Tags:
[OP]
Oct 16, 2016
82 posts
25 upvotes
Brampton

Mosquitoes in lawn/garden

Hi Guys,

Do face problem with Mosquitoes in lawn/garden ?. I live in GTA.
Do you guys do anything to keep garden free from Mosquitoes? In summers when it's green and nice. However, it's kind of hard to sit some times outside due to Mosquitoes.

Regards
Sheray
Regards,
Sheray
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1244 posts
1295 upvotes
West GTA
Mosquitoes breed in standing water. This can be gutters, bird baths, ponds, marshlands, etc. Your best method of control is to remove all standing water you can (clean eaves and make sure they are properly graded, regularly empty and refill birth baths, get rid of standing water around property). Following that, use other methods to kill larvae in what standing water is left. Use goldfish in ponds to eat larvae. Use mosquito dunks to kill larvae in pools of water that won't support fish. If you want to use chemicals, you can use dish soap to kill larvae, put oil in the water (creates a barrier on the top of the water that suffocates everything in the water, dump in a bunch of vinegar (works for a little while), or use bleach.

There are illegal chemicals you can get from the US (Talstar). PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS. It's non-selective, and will kill a LOT of different insects, like bees, butterflies, etc. It's also somewhat toxic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7164 posts
4351 upvotes
Victoria, BC
There is a garlic spray that is supposed to work pretty good as a repellent. You buy it and spray your yard. Mosquito Barrier.
Apr 3, 2018
189 posts
145 upvotes
I use dynatrap xl. It significantly reduce the number of mosquitos. I also use mosquitos repellent when I go out. Unfortunately, there is no way to completely eliminates mosquitos, only control them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
I just use a couple of Thermacells on the deck. Seems to work good for keeping mosquitoes away.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4124 posts
1502 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: I just use a couple of Thermacells on the deck. Seems to work good for keeping mosquitoes away.
I'd been wondering about those things for the last couple years. Are they worth the cost? Do you have to buy the inserts frequently?
[OP]
Oct 16, 2016
82 posts
25 upvotes
Brampton
I don’t have any stagnant water around my lawn. Its just garden vegetation.

Thermacells seems a good option. I think I can buy one Patio Thermacell that should work. Has a running cost but it’s okay; if you want to sit outside for some time with Friends or otherwise.

I was hoping that planting few plants like Mint; Lavender also would discourage mosquitos having a party in the lawn. But I guess it does not work from what I read online.
Regards,
Sheray
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
ChicoQuente wrote: I'd been wondering about those things for the last couple years. Are they worth the cost? Do you have to buy the inserts frequently?
I think they are worth the cost and it depends on how long you have it on for. Each repellant mat lasts about 3-4hrs and the butane cylinder about 10hrs. I buy the value refill packs at Cabela's when they go on sale.
May 12, 2019
8 posts
2 upvotes
Make sure there is plenty of sun, mosquitos prefer shade.
As others said, standing water is a breeding ground for them, as well as some types of plants and vegetation. Mosquitos are unfortunately a part of summer, make sure to spray repellent on yourself when staying outdoors for an extended period of time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7164 posts
4351 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Why the downvotes on this thread? It isn't off topic or anything. Some people are way too trigger happy with that downvote button.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16932 posts
1780 upvotes
Thornhill
Chickinvic wrote: Why the downvotes on this thread? It isn't off topic or anything. Some people are way too trigger happy with that downvote button.
Because some people are dumb, and RFD allows them to behave this way.

This is a good thread - Everyone has to deal with this issue.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1847 upvotes
Ajax
You want to kill them and anything else that crawls or flies, seek out some Bifen I/T. Not available locally but if you can source it, you will love it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8887 posts
1826 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Use a fan. Cools you off in the summer and the breeze helps keep the mosquitoes away.