• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 5:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
94 posts
11 upvotes

Most affordable crossovers

In the market to buy (cash/finance) a brand new 2018/2019/2020 Crossover SUV this month to replace 2010 Honda CR-V EX. Looking for your top 2-3 picks with approx price range for the most affordable crossovers based on ownership experience or research knowledge. Must be 4-door with 5 seats and following features.

Must-have features: AWD, leather seats, heated seats, bluetooth, navigation, reverse camera, front/rear sensors, power liftgate, remote start, power sunroof, power windows

Optional: keyless entry, push button start, touchless liftgate....

Basic research yields the following crossovers but all-in cash cost (before discounts) ranges widely. Aiming for something in $20K's or max $35K all-in cash post discounts but certainly not a terrible car that causes troubles during winter or fails to resell later. I am in GTA.

Hyundai - Kona, Tucson
Kia - Sportage
Nisssan - Qashqai, Rogue
Ford - EcoSport
Mazda - CX-3
VW - Tiguan
Toyota - RAV4

TIA
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1113 posts
1083 upvotes
Calgary
konax wrote: In the market to buy (cash/finance) a brand new 2018/2019/2020 Crossover SUV this month to replace 2010 Honda CR-V EX. Looking for your top 2-3 picks with approx price range for the most affordable crossovers based on ownership experience or research knowledge. Must be 4-door with 5 seats and following features.

Must-have features: AWD, leather seats, heated seats, bluetooth, navigation, reverse camera, front/rear sensors, power liftgate, remote start, power sunroof, power windows

Basic research yields the following crossovers but all-in cash cost (before discounts) ranges widely. Aiming for something in $20K's or max $35K all-in cash post discounts but certainly not a terrible car that causes troubles during winter or fails to resell later. I am in GTA.

Hyundai - Kona, Tucson
Kia - Sportage
Nisssan - Qashqai, Rogue
Ford - EcoSport
Mazda - CX-3
VW - Tiguan
Toyota - RAV4

TIA
Literally every car you listed meets your criteria, especially with a budget of $20-$35k. Honestly, figure out your budget.

Only real differentiator would be resale. Long story short.. Get a RAV4.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2311 posts
1883 upvotes
Markham
konax wrote: In the market to buy (cash/finance) a brand new 2018/2019/2020 Crossover SUV this month to replace 2010 Honda CR-V EX. Looking for your top 2-3 picks with approx price range for the most affordable crossovers based on ownership experience or research knowledge. Must be 4-door with 5 seats and following features.

Hyundai - Kona, Tucson
Kia - Sportage
Nisssan - Qashqai, Rogue
Ford - EcoSport
Mazda - CX-3
VW - Tiguan
Toyota - RAV4

TIA
You can just search here to get an idea of invoice pricing: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/request- ... s-1254621/

To be honest, all those options are fine, but Honda and Toyota will hold the most resale. Ultimately, you HAVE TO test drive them. I can tell you the RAV4 is the best, but if you drive it and hate how it feels, you’re going to regret it despite sitting in your heated leather seats.

So test drive, narrow your list down to 3 and research pricing and reliability from there.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3125 posts
4191 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't know why more people don't realize that you can get as many free reports as you want using Unhaggle with no obligation to be called by dealers
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1141 posts
614 upvotes
Ripley
Ford Ecosport is really small. I would think the Escape would be the same size as the others on your list.

But I agree with OKSpring. Buy the Rav.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1177 posts
416 upvotes
Vancouver
zeddy wrote: Ford Ecosport is really small. I would think the Escape would be the same size as the others on your list.

But I agree with OKSpring. Buy the Rav.
Not sure you can get a fully loaded Rav4 for 35k tax in though. OP wants fully loaded features and at that budget you'd be looking at the subcompacts (Kona, Qashkai, CX-3).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35247 posts
21225 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ford is your best bet, if you want lots of tech and features at a reasonable price.
But, you risk reliability.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12153 posts
6700 upvotes
Brampton
vkizzle wrote: Ford is your best bet, if you want lots of tech and features at a reasonable price.
But, you risk reliability.
Not this case.
The ecosport is utter absolute trash. It shouldn't be considered at all.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1141 posts
614 upvotes
Ripley
someone16 wrote: Not sure you can get a fully loaded Rav4 for 35k tax in though. OP wants fully loaded features and at that budget you'd be looking at the subcompacts (Kona, Qashkai, CX-3).
OP included the Rav in his list of options.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
94 posts
11 upvotes
someone16 wrote: Not sure you can get a fully loaded Rav4 for 35k tax in though. OP wants fully loaded features and at that budget you'd be looking at the subcompacts (Kona, Qashkai, CX-3).
You got it. I suspected some fully or almost fully loaded models won't fit my budget which is why I posted my question here. I was also thinking of checking out Kona, Qashqai and CX-3. But on popular demand I will also give RAV4 a try though I am quite confident it will be more expensive than the most on my list.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
94 posts
11 upvotes
tebore wrote: Not this case.
The ecosport is utter absolute trash. It shouldn't be considered at all.
Good to know. I wanted to consider all options but had less inclination toward Ford EcoSport because I already have a Ford and wanted to maintain diversity.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12153 posts
6700 upvotes
Brampton
konax wrote: Good to know. I wanted to consider all options but had less inclination toward Ford EcoSport because I already have a Ford and wanted to maintain diversity.
Before anyone thinks I hate on Ford.
If you had mentioned the Escape it would be a whole different reply, it's competitive but again you roll the dice on a new MY car.

Also you're looking in 2 segments Sub-CUV and CUV.
The CX-3, Qashqai, Ecosport are considered to be in the sub-CUV category tho the Former 2 are larger than the latter.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1113 posts
1083 upvotes
Calgary
konax wrote: Good to know. I wanted to consider all options but had less inclination toward Ford EcoSport because I already have a Ford and wanted to maintain diversity.
Now we have to be considerate of "diversity" among the vehicle brands we purchase in a lifetime?

I want out of this world.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1177 posts
416 upvotes
Vancouver
konax wrote: You got it. I suspected some fully or almost fully loaded models won't fit my budget which is why I posted my question here. I was also thinking of checking out Kona, Qashqai and CX-3. But on popular demand I will also give RAV4 a try though I am quite confident it will be more expensive than the most on my list.
If you have the extra cash to go for a RAV4 then it won't be too bad since you will get it back when you sell it. Toyotas depreciate at a much lower rate compared to other cars.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2008
94 posts
11 upvotes
After a lot of research from online brochures and local dealers, I have finally shortlisted three models - 2019 Kia Sportage SX Turbo, 2019 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate, and 2019 Nissan Rogue SL Platinum. All three CUVs lok equally good for city driving and have very similar features that I was looking for. So the key distinguishing factors in deciding the final winner will be the all-in price and trade-in value.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the inputs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9351 posts
3047 upvotes
konax wrote: After a lot of research from online brochures and local dealers, I have finally shortlisted three models - 2019 Kia Sportage SX Turbo, 2019 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate, and 2019 Nissan Rogue SL Platinum. All three CUVs lok equally good for city driving and have very similar features that I was looking for. So the key distinguishing factors in deciding the final winner will be the all-in price and trade-in value.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the inputs.
since you are purchasing the vehicle cost of ownership and reliability should be something for you to consider. Check out the Canadian forums for each of those 3 SUV's and see what owners have to say.
Discomfort is your friend