Real Estate

Most desired feature for home

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 3:33 am
[OP]
Member
Jun 28, 2009
227 posts
90 upvotes

Most desired feature for home

Question for all:

What are the priority features you would want in a home? Let’s take location out of the equation.

For example, double car garage, 4 bedrooms, 3 washrooms upstairs, big kitchen space, backyard space, finished basements how would you rank these features in priorities?

Are there also anything else you look for when buying a home based on your needs?

Trying to understand which features of a home is most attractive.
54 replies
[OP]
Member
Jun 28, 2009
227 posts
90 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: That depends on the person and their situation really.
I mean... Sure I desire a 6 bedroom, 5 bathroom, triple garage... But you know. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
I guess I mean within your budget, what would feature would make one home more appealing to you than another
Jr. Member
Feb 10, 2021
190 posts
127 upvotes
GTA
For me, Detached is a must…close second would be 2 car garage.
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2005
801 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
Detached, double garage (yes we got 2 cars 'inside' unlike majority of my neighbours that keep craps inside and cars ouside), lot size, facing south (yes, sun can make a lot of difference). If the foundational (unchageable) items are set, rest can be fixed with renovations.

It is also a matter of avoiding
- Major Roads (or even medium traffic local roads)
- Power lines
- Sidewalk
- Train Track
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
22081 posts
8467 upvotes
Socially Distanced
mao246 wrote: For example, double car garage, 4 bedrooms, 3 washrooms upstairs, big kitchen space, backyard space, finished basements
What are the priority features you would want in a home?
A good cleaning person Winking Face
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2189 posts
3884 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Location.
Realtor, Investor, CPA - Collaborate with like minded people
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
1003 posts
874 upvotes
Detached, as many garage spots as cars, as many bedrooms as people, backyard with grass for dog.

Also would try to minimize view of houses in back, be within 60km of DT.

These would be my most priority as they're hard/impossible to fix by throwing money at them.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 29, 2008
3686 posts
829 upvotes
What we always found a challenge given our target location and budget was finding a 2-car garage. We always managed to get one, even in our first/starter home but it was difficult. Even now, there are houses 3x the price of ours that don’t have a 2-car garage. I can’t understand that.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4333 posts
3916 upvotes
Ottawa
mao246 wrote: I guess I mean within your budget, what would feature would make one home more appealing to you than another
But it still needs some context, doesn't it? Household size is usually a large contributor to household features. The list that you provided is usually of interest to a couple with children households. The most prevalent household in Canada is one-person household. Couples with children made up only 26.5% of all households in 2016. Multi-generational households are actually increasing in Canada. It will be interesting to see what the 2021 Census will show.

So home features for what type of household?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 30, 2005
1329 posts
748 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Not directly on a main street, backing onto woods or ravine and no big powerlines nearby.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2189 posts
3884 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Saniokca wrote: Why is a sidewalk not desirable?
More parking space, people not walking close to house, dog shit on your lawn, etc.

On the flip side, it's a con when you have young kids, the sidewalk acts as an extension of your driveway and when you have it on your side makes it a lot easier to have your kids play outside, ride bikes on your side of the street, etc.

Depends on what you want.
Realtor, Investor, CPA - Collaborate with like minded people
Member
Sep 23, 2011
234 posts
157 upvotes
Vaughan
RichmondCA wrote: More parking space, people not walking close to house, dog shit on your lawn, etc.

On the flip side, it's a con when you have young kids, the sidewalk acts as an extension of your driveway and when you have it on your side makes it a lot easier to have your kids play outside, ride bikes on your side of the street, etc.

Depends on what you want.
Fair enough. We do have kids and when looking at houses a lack of a sidewalk is a con. Some streets have them on one side but some don't have one at all (I think it's usually either a crescent or a dead end street).
[OP]
Member
Jun 28, 2009
227 posts
90 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: But it still needs some context, doesn't it? Household size is usually a large contributor to household features. The list that you provided is usually of interest to a couple with children households. The most prevalent household in Canada is one-person household. Couples with children made up only 26.5% of all households in 2016. Multi-generational households are actually increasing in Canada. It will be interesting to see what the 2021 Census will show.

So home features for what type of household?
Good point; was referring to couples with children.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7564 posts
4902 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Before buying our last house in Ottawa area, our list included double car garage and a swimming pool (inground) on a big property (in other words plenty of yard space for our dogs to run around in).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6075 posts
2939 upvotes
Toronto
I'm surprised that so many people care about powerlines. For me, en-suites. At least two - I wouldn't consider a room without an en-suite as a full-time bedroom, or a house where everyone shares one bathroom.
Sr. Member
Jul 24, 2019
881 posts
1387 upvotes
Canada
Manatus wrote: I'm surprised that so many people care about powerlines. For me, en-suites. At least two - I wouldn't consider a room without an en-suite as a full-time bedroom, or a house where everyone shares one bathroom.
About living near power lines, childhood leukemia (cancer) has been linked with living near power lines. Some adult cancers too, but the evidence in adults is less strong than with children.

Top