most difficult job search I've ever had

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 10:12 pm
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO

most difficult job search I've ever had

I'm basically freaking out right now. I'm going through the most difficult job search of my life - and I'm 50, so that's a long time. I've got more skills, experience, etc than ever, I have a new master's degree in the exact field I'm applying to, and I haven't gotten a callback in over 2 months. Zero, zip, nada.

I've followed all the job search advice, and I've gotten many jobs over the years, so I don't think I'm doing anything terribly wrong. I had a very successful short-term contract over the summer, so as far as I can tell I can still do a job, get on with people, and so on. I've run out of ideas.

What do you do when NOTHING seems to work?
75 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
What Master's degree and which field?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote: I'm basically freaking out right now. I'm going through the most difficult job search of my life - and I'm 50, so that's a long time. I've got more skills, experience, etc than ever, I have a new master's degree in the exact field I'm applying to, and I haven't gotten a callback in over 2 months. Zero, zip, nada.

I've followed all the job search advice, and I've gotten many jobs over the years, so I don't think I'm doing anything terribly wrong. I had a very successful short-term contract over the summer, so as far as I can tell I can still do a job, get on with people, and so on. I've run out of ideas.

Have you had a peer of yours review your resume? How many pages is your resume? How many jobs have you applied to so far?
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO
blitzforce wrote: What Master's degree and which field?
Too doxxy to say. But my former classmates have mostly found jobs with no difficulty. There are a few of us who are struggling.
Sep 11, 2017
548 posts
404 upvotes
Reach out to recruiting agencies for more contract gigs while you conduct your own search. More eyes looking out for you increases your odds at finding something. Also we are approach the slow season of hiring so if you haven't found anything by early December, take a mini break before you ramp up again Jan 1
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO
FedExpress wrote: Reach out to recruiting agencies for more contract gigs while you conduct your own search.
I've done that already. In fact, that's how I got the summer short-term contract, and the client was very happy. As in - taking me out for lunch on the last day with a gift card and an offer to give a "glowing" reference happy. That same agency currently has a posting in my field that I've applied to online and called them about, and they're ignoring me. This is part of why I'm going so mental - even doing well for the same company isn't enough to get a callback!

I'm really not kidding when I say I've taken & done all the job search advice and it's still not working.
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
148 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote: Too doxxy to say. But my former classmates have mostly found jobs with no difficulty. There are a few of us who are struggling.
You do need to provide more info about your field and qualification. No need to hide behind the woods ;-)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
jaguaar wrote: You do need to provide more info about your field and qualification. No need to hide behind the woods ;-)
He needs to ask MikeShen what to do since Mike says you can make good money with any degrees as long as he works and network hard.
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO
jaguaar wrote: You do need to provide more info about your field and qualification. No need to hide behind the woods ;-)
It really is too doxxy. And anyway it's a niche field that most people haven't heard of.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
pinkpearl wrote: It really is too doxxy. And anyway it's a niche field that most people haven't heard of.
I'm sorry but what is "too doxxy"? I can't even find this expression on Google...

But anyways, how is anyone here going to be able to provide you with any meaningful advice if no one knows what your field is?
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO
blitzforce wrote: I'm sorry but what is "too doxxy"? I can't even find this expression on Google...

But anyways, how is anyone here going to be able to provide you with any meaningful advice if no one knows what your field is?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dox

Too doxxy means the info could lead to my IRL identity.

Most people won't know what the field is even if I did name it. I'm looking for more general perspectives. I can't be the only person on here who has struggled despite doing all the right things. Hell, I've already posted about how I'm being ignored for a job I already did well for the same company.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
blitzforce wrote: I'm sorry but what is "too doxxy"? I can't even find this expression on Google...

It's a slang for 'doxxing' , a term popular in the Twitch video game streaming community. It means anonymous user(s) will attempt to find the name, address, etc. of target victim and make it public. This can often lead to 'Swatting', which is basically call the police for false reasons. There has been many incidents where streamers are playing video games live, only for their front door knocked down and a team of SWAT/police raid the building. People suck.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: It's a slang for 'doxxing' , a term popular in the Twitch video game streaming community. It means anonymous user(s) will attempt to find the name, address, etc. of target victim and make it public. This can often lead to 'Swatting', which is basically call the police for false reasons. There has been many incidents where streamers are playing video games live, only for their front door knocked down and a team of SWAT/police raid the building. People suck.
He's 50 years old and knows about slang terms from a video game streaming website. I think I need to get myself up to date on these terminologies :p
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pinkpearl wrote: I'm basically freaking out right now. I'm going through the most difficult job search of my life - and I'm 50, so that's a long time. I've got more skills, experience, etc than ever, I have a new master's degree in the exact field I'm applying to, and I haven't gotten a callback in over 2 months. Zero, zip, nada.

Technically, that implies you've tried everything. Literally everything. Which I will say you haven't.

You probably have constraints that dictate the job search. You'll need to remove those. It's the equivalent of trying to find a product with specific filters set and not finding it. Well if you need the product, and you know it exists, then you'll need to change your search params to widen your search.

Maybe you're looking in the wrong places.
Maybe you're looking in the wrong geographic area.
Maybe you're applying to the wrong openings.
Maybe the resume is the issue.
Maybe you're not using the right agencies.
Maybe your network is too small.
Maybe because it's such a niche, there are only X openings available and all of them have been filled by your classmates.

GL.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO
Maybe my facial hair isn't patterned right.
Nov 30, 2007
384 posts
293 upvotes
OP if you are so afraid of being doxxed if you reveal your profession, then could it be that it is so niche that there are only so many positions available and only the cream of the crop occupy them?

If not, my best suggestion would be to look at your network and see if you can find any leads. If you're desperate for work, you may have to settle for something associated with the specialization you have rather than actually doing. Look up old colleagues on linkedin.. etc.. good luck. It's not easy out there.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
wyseguy wrote: OP if you are so afraid of being doxxed if you reveal your profession, then could it be that it is so niche that there are only so many positions available and only the cream of the crop occupy them?

If not, my best suggestion would be to look at your network and see if you can find any leads. If you're desperate for work, you may have to settle for something associated with the specialization you have rather than actually doing. Look up old colleagues on linkedin.. etc.. good luck. It's not easy out there.
I agree. If just by posting the role will expose his identification, it's probably a position with not many openings to begin with.
May 12, 2011
291 posts
48 upvotes
TORONTO
blitzforce wrote: I agree. If just by posting the role will expose his identification, it's probably a position with not many openings to begin with.
But about 95% of graduates of my program DO find jobs fairly easily. And the few of us who are struggling are by no means the bottom 5%. So it's not that.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Have you had many interviews? Maybe you should look at your interview skills.

If revealing the job title reveals your identity, then it’s a niche. You either have a bad reputation within the industry or you interview poorly.