Computers & Electronics

Mother Board Toast - New Tower appx$1000 Options? Old HD transfer?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2019 6:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…

Mother Board Toast - New Tower appx$1000 Options? Old HD transfer?

So I guess it is a fortunate time?

My mother board on my Dell, circa say, 2009 just died. Well, computer will not turn on and motherboard is getting power with the orange light but not turning on. Going to have my friend come and have a look.

Maybe 2nd gen i7, 8GB. It is a dell xps 435. It has served me well.

I want to replace the same with a new tower. I think that my dual lawyer BD drive is still functional and works well to back up BD media and I really do not see many sold these days...could be wrong.

Also, want to make sure I can extract all my data from my old HD? And or make sure it can be just connected? Also, want to make sure I can move over my HUP office 2019 license.

Any thoughts are welcome.

My monitor is fine.
Left rfd
2 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2321 posts
915 upvotes
Toronto
Your old harddrives can just be installed into the new desktop. Just plug and play. If you're installing the old harddrive that had Windows installed on it then just make sure that the new desktop will be booting from the new harddrive and not your old one. If the computer gets confused then this change is normally done in the bios. I guess your friend can do that if you need help.

Yes, your blu-ray drive can be moved over. You'll just need to install the software again to burn to the discs.

I think all you need to install Office is the serial/product key. I hope you still have it. I don't know how to retrieve this besides maybe calling Microsoft support.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
So I am not sure if the motherboard is actually dead. The internal light shows that it is getting power but when I put the power cable into the back it kind of flickers a little green but the unit will not turn on. So there is power getting from the wall to the tower and to the motherboard but then nothing turns out. Any cheap and trustworthy places downtown YYZ between Bathurst, Jarvis, Bloor and Front St. that might be worth just taking in for a look and I can take it into work one day from home and drop off for a look on the way?
Left rfd