None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2950 posts
4343 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Mother in law traveled without medical insurance

She opted out of medical travel insurance, and had to visit a hospital in London, England due to a bladder infection. She was there for a total of three hours. Anyone have any idea what the cost would be?
21 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11509 posts
4724 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry to hear about what your M-I-L had to go through. Does she have any other type of insurance that you may not be aware of? For example, retired public servants (if she is one) still have medical insurance coverage while traveling outside of Canada.

I think your best bet is to contact the hospital for an accurate quote as I am not familiar with British medical system. Per this website, primary care may be free but otherwise, non-EU citizens are expected to pay a fairly hefty cost for hospital visits.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32281155
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2950 posts
4343 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the help guys I spoke with service ontario a few days ago and most OHIP will cover is $70.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Wrestlemania wrote: Thanks for the help guys I spoke with service ontario a few days ago and most OHIP will cover is $70.
How could they know without knowing the amount she was charged? Physician cost is covered as well as emergency room visit, although there are limits.
Banned
Apr 23, 2015
994 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheap wrote: How could they know without knowing the amount she was charged? Physician cost is covered as well as emergency room visit, although there are limits.
There are way too many scam artists that would get a hospital bill from some third world dump and expect OHIP to pay it. They are right to put a cap.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
HumansOfToronto wrote: There are way too many scam artists that would get a hospital bill from some third world dump and expect OHIP to pay it. They are right to put a cap.
My point is that the amount that Ohip will reimburse is based on the amount the person was charged, so how can they know without seeing the bill. I am not an expert on this, just trying to help out.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheap wrote: My point is that the amount that Ohip will reimburse is based on the amount the person was charged, so how can they know without seeing the bill. I am not an expert on this, just trying to help out.
Um...no..if ohip will pay based on what a person was charged overseas..why would anybody need travel insurance?

Ohip will reimburse based on what they wouldve paid for equivalent treatment in Ontario
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
LandKing wrote: Um...no..if ohip will pay based on what a person was charged overseas..why would anybody need travel insurance?

Ohip will reimburse based on what they wouldve paid for equivalent treatment in Ontario
Um...ok
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheap wrote: Um...ok
With a cap as well....Straight from ohip website

For physician services, OHIP will pay the actual cost billed by the out-of-country physician(s) or the cost of the same physician service(s) in Ontario, whichever is less. Physician services in Ontario are usually rendered at a significantly lower cost than those billed at out-of-country health facilities. Please note that out-of-country health facilities and physicians usually bill separately.
For outpatient emergency room services, OHIP will pay $50 Canadian (CDN) per day.

http://health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publi ... ravel.aspx
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheap wrote: How do they know what treatment was received? You just tell them? Or do you need something in writing, like an invoice?
Of course an invoice with name, date diagnosis and fee breakdown ...no different than submitting claim to insurance
Jul 23, 2014
241 posts
235 upvotes
Outaouais
Wrestlemania wrote: She opted out of medical travel insurance, and had to visit a hospital in London, England due to a bladder infection. She was there for a total of three hours. Anyone have any idea what the cost would be?
Not sure if that helps but on our trip to France in March, our son got an asthma crisis and we ran out of Puff puff for him.

I called around local pediatrician to see if they provide him with a prescription and they all told me to go to the emergency at the nearest hospital.

So we went to the emergency at the hospital and they asked us for our Health card, telling them that we don't have French health care card but only our Quebec card. They relented and told us to wait. After 30 mins wait, we were seen by the doctor and they treated him. Overall we stayed 3 hours at the hospital.

Upon leaving I was fearing the worst upon checking out.

The total cost including medications was 42 Euros. That's right 42 euros ... I thought they forgot a 0 at the end ... I asked for a detail receipt and all the treatment that was provided.

And after i got home i submitted the receipt to the RAMQ and got reimbursed for 52$ out of the 67$ (after conversion) that i have asked!

So anyway .. maybe it's not as expensive as you thought it would be ...

good luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Did they provide her with antibiotics or did she pay for it out of pocket there? I don't think it'll be that much for a 3 hour visit to the ER... a couple hundred at the most if they bill her for the tests they ran as well.

In the future, if she's prone to bladder infections, tell her to ask her doctor for a prescription for antibiotics before she goes on vacation. Get it filled and just keep it on her in case she needs it so she won't need to go to the hospital.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10706 posts
3367 upvotes
we had a staff member get a staff infection in the USA, had 2 surgerys, was in the hospital for over a month in the USA. the bill came by courier and it was around 4 feet high stacked, and was almost 500,000. Luckily insurance paid for it through work.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
402 upvotes
Can the London hospital staff not give you an idea how much that would cost?
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2181 posts
280 upvotes
Montreal
iEyeCaptain wrote: Good thing she wasn't in the USA.

Here's the bill for a single rattlesnake bite in the USA:

http://i.imgur.com/BbQgU8a.jpg
Pretty sure radiology isn't involved with a rattlesnake bite....

However, those costs aren't extreme in the least depending on how badly the person was bitten. Antivenom costs between $10K and $20K per vial (usually several vials are required for a bite) and when administered the recipient has to be intensively monitored for several days to insure an allergic reaction doesn't occur.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2744 posts
1166 upvotes
I can't believe that people still travel without travel insurance especially after all the stories in the news lately.