Computers & Electronics

Motherboard/CPU/RAM with AGP 3.3V onboard?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 5:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
880 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga

Motherboard/CPU/RAM with AGP 3.3V onboard?

Typically Pentium IIs and perhaps some VIA chipsets of that era have an AGP 1.0/3.3V slot. Finding this hardware is STUPID hard on Kijiji. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place or there just isn't a market for it anymore/most of it got trashed by now.

I'd like to test out a few cards to see if they are still in working condition and that they POST properly. Any suggestions perhaps online / or some used computer shops in the GTA?

I'm open to "renting" one (for an hour tops) if someone has a working setup and/or other ideas.
Last edited by BuddyGuy on Jul 3rd, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4125 posts
1258 upvotes
Try going for "retro" gaming angle or will take any old computer away angle. Some people that still have old computers like that may not even know what they have
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2948 posts
1595 upvotes
London
good luck. most of the older computer stuff has been scoped up by retro computer collectors and prices are just getting higher. any thing from the 386 to p3 era is pretty out there as thats the stuff collectors want.

u could try a place called free geek up in TO. or call around to computer stores most of them will laugh u though and be like what do u want that crap for.

pretty much ebay is the only place u will find the stuff and u will need to put up a saved search and watch for a long time for one that goes up that isn't over priced.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
880 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
coilz wrote: Try going for "retro" gaming angle or will take any old computer away angle. Some people that still have old computers like that may not even know what they have
Hmmm... I suppose P2s are now "retro", so makes sense! Not sure if I'll be getting into the tech trash hauling business though. :) Thanks for the suggestion!
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
880 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
aaron158 wrote: good luck. most of the older computer stuff has been scoped up by retro computer collectors and prices are just getting higher. any thing from the 386 to p3 era is pretty out there as thats the stuff collectors want.

u could try a place called free geek up in TO. or call around to computer stores most of them will laugh u though and be like what do u want that crap for.

pretty much ebay is the only place u will find the stuff and u will need to put up a saved search and watch for a long time for one that goes up that isn't over priced.
Didn't realize alot of this was still "in demand". I suppose the scarcity is what drives supply and pricing.

I think the easiest would be to find someone that could POST up a few of these cards... willing to put out some cash if there's ppl out there that want to make a few bucks by helping someone out.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2948 posts
1595 upvotes
London
BuddyGuy wrote: Didn't realize alot of this was still "in demand". I suppose the scarcity is what drives supply and pricing.

I think the easiest would be to find someone that could POST up a few of these cards... willing to put out some cash if there's ppl out there that want to make a few bucks by helping someone out.
just look on youtube there are a ton of retro pc utube channels. its just like old nintnedo and video game stuff there is people who want them and they only want to play the games on the original hardware
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4125 posts
1258 upvotes
A little side discussion ... with respect to AGP voltage/compatibility, I always thought if the card fits , it'll work ? Since they are designed to key in only if it works in the slot right? Reason I asked is I responded to a "ISO" ad for a AGP card, this guy was looking to build a retro WinXP comp on a Socket A platform and I offered my 6600GT, but the guy swears it won't work cause of voltage requirement? I still have a TNT 1 and Geforce 1 in my collection and they both work in my Socket A platform's AGP slot.....
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34101 posts
7706 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Are you planning on using these AGP cards? You obviously don’t have a machine that can use it. Why do you need to test technology that is 20 years old?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
880 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
coilz wrote: A little side discussion ... with respect to AGP voltage/compatibility, I always thought if the card fits , it'll work ? Since they are designed to key in only if it works in the slot right? Reason I asked is I responded to a "ISO" ad for a AGP card, this guy was looking to build a retro WinXP comp on a Socket A platform and I offered my 6600GT, but the guy swears it won't work cause of voltage requirement? I still have a TNT 1 and Geforce 1 in my collection and they both work in my Socket A platform's AGP slot.....
From what I've read, yes and no. AGP Universal (both AGP 2.0 and 3.0 versions) will typically physically accept both 3.3. and 1.5, BUT usually due to lazy design, 3.3V cards won't actually post. From a picture, they've got the right slot, but then you read the manual, and they've excluded the 3.3V card variety. I'm assuming to cut costs and what not. Some cards are "double-keyed", i.e. will work in both 1.5 and 3.3 boards. You can tell them apart because they've got two slots in the connector. 3.3V cards have their slot closer to the "front" whereas 1.5V have them closer to the back of the card.

Which Socket A board are you running?

Image
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
880 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Gee wrote: Are you planning on using these AGP cards? You obviously don’t have a machine that can use it. Why do you need to test technology that is 20 years old?
Because the cards are quite rare and may have some value if working.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4125 posts
1258 upvotes
BuddyGuy wrote:
Which Socket A board are you running?

Got an Abit AN7 that's still assembled. Also have a Abit KT7 that was my first build. What AGP cards are you trying to test?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34101 posts
7706 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
BuddyGuy wrote: Because the cards are quite rare and may have some value if working.
Rare, yes

Not sure what value they hold. But I am sure I have old computers in my garage that I was planning to throw out. I may have something you can use
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
880 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
coilz wrote: Got an Abit AN7 that's still assembled. Also have a Abit KT7 that was my first build. What AGP cards are you trying to test?
Voodoo 5 5500 and potentially what appears to be a Voodoo 5 6000 with the quad VSA-100 onboard. The 6000 isn't mine though.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4125 posts
1258 upvotes
BuddyGuy wrote: Voodoo 5 5500 and potentially what appears to be a Voodoo 5 6000 with the quad VSA-100 onboard. The 6000 isn't mine though.
Oh I should've guessed those will be the Rare AGP cards. :) Good luck on the cards!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
4587 posts
4794 upvotes
GTA
This is a site I used to visit many moons ago:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html
BuddyGuy wrote: Voodoo 5 5500 and potentially what appears to be a Voodoo 5 6000 with the quad VSA-100 onboard. The 6000 isn't mine though.
Everything Voodoo branded is worth too much nowadays. I have about 5-6 different Voodoo cards, PCI and AGP, sitting around. I should have $1000 sitting there lol. Dunno who actually pays those prices though, I wouldn't...
The chances your friend has a 6000 are very slim, would love to hear the story on how he got his hands on that.

EDIT oh you're in Mississauga, I might have a system I could lend you for a day. PM me
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13458 posts
2649 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
BuddyGuy wrote: Voodoo 5 5500 and potentially what appears to be a Voodoo 5 6000 with the quad VSA-100 onboard. The 6000 isn't mine though.
This Vancouver dude is still hoping that Rip van Winkle will wake up to buy his Voodoo 5500. I think I posted about it here awhile back.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/so ... 52579.html

Hmm, this thread has got me thinking of whether or not I should sell a couple of first gen i5 ThinkPads or keep them for 10+ years :D .
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
6183 posts
2703 upvotes
Debtario
I think I have a Rage 3D early VGA card with 4MB ram somewhere, but I'm not local. But yeah, lots of the old stuff gets scrapped. Oddly enough those things seemed more durable, either because of the lead solder and chunky components, or because they became obsolete faster than they could wear out.



What is old is new again for sure. I sold a 17" CRT for $40 last weekend - I had it listed for $10 off and on for the last 2 years and zero takers, then I see a wanted ad for a guy paying $40 for ANY working CRT monitors. Cool guy, he builds retro gaming cabinets and collects old computers for win98 gaming.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
4587 posts
4794 upvotes
GTA
rabbit wrote: This Vancouver dude is still hoping that Rip van Winkle will wake up to buy his Voodoo 5500. I think I posted about it here awhile back.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/so ... 52579.html

Hmm, this thread has got me thinking of whether or not I should sell a couple of first gen i5 ThinkPads or keep them for 10+ years :D .
That isn't an extraordinarily high asking price for a V5 unfortunately. I've seen people asking $200 for Voodoo 3s. I love my Voodoo cards, but they weren't that great in performance relatively speaking to nVidia cards by the 4/5 series. Still great cards for the time.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13458 posts
2649 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
M1K3Z0R wrote: I think I have a Rage 3D early VGA card with 4MB ram somewhere
You got me beat by a year or two. My first graphics upgrade with a Rage Pro (Xpert 98) PCI card with 8MB RAM :D . I saved it because I have this old ThinkPad 600 docking station I can use it in (a real docking station, with a 5.25" drive bay and card slots).

Good score on selling the CRT monitor. And that's in addition to the $20 for the class action settlement :D .
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
6183 posts
2703 upvotes
Debtario
rabbit wrote: You got me beat by a year or two. My first graphics upgrade with a Rage Pro (Xpert 98) PCI card with 8MB RAM :D . I saved it because I have this old ThinkPad 600 docking station I can use it in (a real docking station, with a 5.25" drive bay and card slots).

Good score on selling the CRT monitor. And that's in addition to the $20 for the class action settlement :D .
What class action? Must have missed it!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Top