• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2018 8:24 am
[OP]
May 22, 2010
624 posts
82 upvotes

Motion Sensor Porch Light

Hi,

I'm looking to set up a porch light activated by a motion sensor. There are 3 lights already setup (two front garage and one on porch) and I've wired it to TP-link smart switch. It's useful having it turn on to a set schedule. However, I want to wire a light that would turn on automatically outdoors with a motion sensor.

Anyone know if I could set up a Trenz LED pot light in the soffit? Have it triggered by a motion sensor?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32358 posts
6243 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You already have a porch light. Are you looking to replace this light? There are several ways to attack this, but it depends on where the light is going to be placed. A picture is worth a 1000 words in this case
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4384 posts
1927 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you have a ceiling light, there are very few integrated motion-sensor options. I looked for one a few years ago ad only found one I didn't end up buying. I guess you could wire a motion sensor to turn the light on and off.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
May 9, 2006
802 posts
122 upvotes
Mississauga
interested in this post I am on a same boat.
[OP]
May 22, 2010
624 posts
82 upvotes
Yes I have a porch light. I don't really want to replace it. I can place a second light in the soffit or on the side. Just wondering about the wiring, I can run it through the garage. I guess the main thing I want to know is:

- What kind of motion sensor part can I wire to a pot light to activate it?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4384 posts
1927 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
As long as you run a wire between the sensor and the porch light, a cheap motion sensor light (walmart.ca has some good prices) will do.

I had to replace a motion sensor light that activated some driveway lights (think they're lower voltage and used a transformer). Using the neural wire from the motion sensor didn't work, so I had to splice the live wire between the relay and the bulb in the motion sensor and run that to the transformer.

Some motion sensor light have a wire to power a 2nd light.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32358 posts
6243 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
This is a good opportunity to set up some automation.

You can buy a Motion sensor and a light switch for the porch light. Using an automation hub, you can turn on the porch light once the motion sensor is triggered.

This setup also allows you to turn the light on based on time or sunset

If you already have the light, no need to install another one.
[OP]
May 22, 2010
624 posts
82 upvotes
I don't mind this solution, but like mentioned I have a TP link switch attached to it. Apparently Kasa did have a motion sensor, but I cannot find where to purchase and it requires their own hub which apparently isn't great.

I do have phillips hue bridge and bulbs, I thought about maybe getting the hue motion sensor and adding a hue light bulb to the porch, however I don't think it will be compatible with the TP link light.

I also do not want to have the lights on all night. This would strictly be motion activated.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3483 posts
837 upvotes
Heath Zenith makes/made a motion sensor light switch, I bought from HD years ago. You change the light switch inside and install the battery power motion sensor outside. Still get the physical on/off and motion with lights only turning on when dark. Unlike installing a motion sensor porch light that you have to leave on and loose the on/off, also need to replace each light.

No hubs, no WiFi it worked great for the last 5 years, should have taken it with me when I moved as I can't find a good replacement, I don't need my porch lights connected to the Internet. It was nice driving onto the driveway and all lights turned on.

This is it
https://www.amazon.ca/Heath-Zenith-SL-6 ... B000QSL92Y
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3635 posts
1029 upvotes
Oshawa
I purchased this at Costco ...
IMAG7451.jpg
IMAG7452.jpg
IMAG7453.jpg

Installation was simple ... south facing home ... plenty of sun to charge .... mounting was simple ...

IMAG8413(1).jpg
IMAG8414.jpg
16' x 11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling w/ a 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
[OP]
May 22, 2010
624 posts
82 upvotes
This seems like the ideal solution! Any similar alternatives? This particular model looks like it is discontinued.