Motomaster Hydra Force tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2020 5:10 pm
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
932 posts
706 upvotes

Motomaster Hydra Force tires?

Looking for opinions on savings vs quality on these tires. I drive a 10 year old Honda Pilot that, if things were normal, we were considering selling this spring, however, with things the way they are, I'm thinking of holding on to it for another year or two. Unfortunately it needs new 3-season tires (it has a set of dedicated snows), and I've narrowed the choices down to two: the Michelin Defender LTX, which is what has been on the truck for 6 years, and the Motomaster Hydra Force touring, which are on sale right now. I know the LTX is a great tire, but I'm looking at around $1K installed for 4 of them including the $100 rebate, whereas the Motomaster can be had for around $600 installed. Considering I'm only planning on keeping the vehicle for another one or two years, is the difference worth it? Conversely, anyone know anything about these Motomaster tires? So far all the reviews seem to be from paid reviewers that they carted down to Atlanta for a track test, but almost everyone I know who has Motomaster tires is happy with them, so I'm not too worried about them being crappy tires (pun intended). thoughts?
38 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
"Some regard MotoMaster as an entry level line of tires despite the tires being produced for Canadian Tire by larger companies such as Michelin (SE2), Cooper (SE3, Winter Edge) and BF Goodrich."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MotoMaster

I suspect that the Hydra Forces is very similar, if not the same as Michelin HydroEdge.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
932 posts
706 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: "Some regard MotoMaster as an entry level line of tires despite the tires being produced for Canadian Tire by larger companies such as Michelin (SE2), Cooper (SE3, Winter Edge) and BF Goodrich."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MotoMaster

I suspect that the Hydra Forces is very similar, if not the same as Michelin HydroEdge.
Thanks for your response. I had heard that they were made by name-brand manufacturers, but I haven't found anything on where that specific tire is made, although Michelin HydroEdge does sound like a likely candidate. I'd like to avoid Made in China if possible, but primarily, I'm just looking for a good, safe, reliable tire.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8457 posts
2927 upvotes
I am not watching the whole video to see if it answers your questions, but if you haven't watched this yet, it may detail who makes them and where.

Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
Tapout123 wrote: Thanks for your response. I had heard that they were made by name-brand manufacturers, but I haven't found anything on where that specific tire is made, although Michelin HydroEdge does sound like a likely candidate. I'd like to avoid Made in China if possible, but primarily, I'm just looking for a good, safe, reliable tire.
Unfortunately many brands are now made in China.
"Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and Continental “they're all there building tires in China” Mielko said, adding that Pirelli's biggest factory is located there" https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/201 ... china.html

Thing is, the labour is cheap, the laws are lax and pollution is not an issue so...they make lots of stuff there
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15436 posts
4604 upvotes
London
Tapout123 wrote: Looking for opinions on savings vs quality on these tires. .
Do you mean Hydra Edge Tour ?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pd ... 72027.html

It's not related to Michelin Hydro Edge -> Destiny/ Harmony -> Defender Gen 1 - > Defender Gen 2 T+H / X Tour

As it's marketing is the same as the Winter Edge , it's likely the Hydra Edge is made by Cooper and related to the Cooper Evolution Tour

Motomaster Winter Edge = Cooper Evolution Winter

It might be worthwhile keeping an eye on the CT tire clearance sales and the RFD Hot Deals forum. Last year, CT cleared out name brand tires for cheap. Continental TrueContact 17" sizes were cleared out last year for like $80 a tire, CT also had good deals for the 2018 clearance
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote: Do you mean Hydra Edge Tour ?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pd ... 72027.html

It's not related to Michelin Hydro Edge -> Destiny/ Harmony -> Defender Gen 1 - > Defender Gen 2 T+H / X Tour

As it's marketing is the same as the Winter Edge , it's likely the Hydra Edge is made by Cooper and related to the Cooper Evolution Tour

Motomaster Winter Edge = Cooper Evolution Winter

It might be worthwhile keeping an eye on the CT tire clearance sales and the RFD Hot Deals forum. Last year, CT cleared out name brand tires for cheap. Continental TrueContact 17" sizes were cleared out last year for like $80 a tire, CT also had good deals for the 2018 clearance
Where did you get all that information?? Please provide source.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14394 posts
2897 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: I am not watching the whole video to see if it answers your questions, but if you haven't watched this yet, it may detail who makes them and where.

Who says a Crown Vic can't move? All those moves and not a single drop of Tim Horton's coffee was dropped. :D
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
932 posts
706 upvotes
Thanks for the responses on this. I bought a set, will get them installed and close out the thread with my thoughts on whether or not they're a decent tire.
Nov 9, 2010
3 posts
Whitby
Have you had them installed and if so, any initial thoughts? I was leaning towards Michelin Defenders through the Advantire group buy but these Motomasters are $100's less so I'm tempted.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
932 posts
706 upvotes
mtippins wrote: Have you had them installed and if so, any initial thoughts? I was leaning towards Michelin Defenders through the Advantire group buy but these Motomasters are $100's less so I'm tempted.
I got them a couple of weeks ago, and so far they have been an excellent buy. It's hard to tell what day-to-day driving will be like as I'm working from home , so I'm not seeing what they'd be like on my daily commute, but in the time I've been using them i have no complaints. My mileage has been good, highway road noise is good, a little louder on city roads (louder than the Michelins, but that may because they are brand new), ride is nice and smooth, albeit a tiny bit bouncy, and I stopped noticing that after the first couple of times out, so that also may just have been because they were new. I've tried some aggressive acceleration, cornering and braking and they performed well under those conditions. My local CT charged $100 for installation, but that includes free flat repair, road hazard coverage and lifetime rotation, and there are a lot more CT's than there are Costco's (where I was going to get the Michelins) so if I have a flat, there's likely a CT nearby to get it fixed. Price-wise, I saved about $400 over the Michelin's, and they are actually ~$8 a tire cheaper right now than what I paid, so it's good time to grab them if they have your size. Overall I'm happy I went with them, the savings were substantial and so far they've performed well.
May 24, 2016
104 posts
26 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: I got them a couple of weeks ago, and so far they have been an excellent buy. It's hard to tell what day-to-day driving will be like as I'm working from home , so I'm not seeing what they'd be like on my daily commute, but in the time I've been using them i have no complaints. My mileage has been good, highway road noise is good, a little louder on city roads (louder than the Michelins, but that may because they are brand new), ride is nice and smooth, albeit a tiny bit bouncy, and I stopped noticing that after the first couple of times out, so that also may just have been because they were new. I've tried some aggressive acceleration, cornering and braking and they performed well under those conditions. My local CT charged $100 for installation, but that includes free flat repair, road hazard coverage and lifetime rotation, and there are a lot more CT's than there are Costco's (where I was going to get the Michelins) so if I have a flat, there's likely a CT nearby to get it fixed. Price-wise, I saved about $400 over the Michelin's, and they are actually ~$8 a tire cheaper right now than what I paid, so it's good time to grab them if they have your size. Overall I'm happy I went with them, the savings were substantial and so far they've performed well.

Thanks so much for the review. I am tempted to buy these too. The only thing is they are made in China I believe.
There has always been a stigma with respect to Chinese tires, but perhaps the manufacturer that makes these are overseen by cooper (who also makes some of their tires in china like the rs3). Likely better quality control than the less known brands like triangle, saliun, evergreen, and the list goes on. But seriously who knows. I almost want to just spend more money and get a tire made in the USA, Germany, Japan or South Korea.
Last edited by DealzToronto on Apr 26th, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
932 posts
706 upvotes
DealzToronto wrote: Thanks so much for the review. I am tempted to buy these too. The only thing is they are made in China I believe.
There has always been a stigma with respect to Chinese tires, but perhaps the manufacturers that make these are overseen by cooper (who also makes some of their tires in china like the rs3). Likely better quality control than the less knows brands like triangle, saliun, evergreen, and the list goes on. But seriously who knows. I almost want to just spend more money and get a tire made in the USA, Germany, Japan or South Korea.
I can confirm that they are made in China. I had to go look to be sure, but there it is. I absolutely agree with your feelings about Made in China tires (or any other product for that matter). If it wasn't for the fact that they are made by Cooper and were a huge discount, I would have likely gone with something made in NA too. The other factor for me is that I'm not sure how much longer I'll be keeping this vehicle, so I didn't want to drop $1K on tires so that I could give them away when I sell the car. Good luck with your decision, I'll update you by PM if you're interested.
Nov 9, 2010
3 posts
Whitby
Just wanted to second the thank-you. I'm squarely on the fence at the moment because I re-checked the numbers and the potential savings I'm looking at is only ~$150. For my 18 inch tires it's $902 cash price minus $50 rebate for Michelin Defender T+H at Advantire vs. $577 plus installation (so close to $700 all in) for the Motomaster Hydro Edge. Of course, I'd also lose out on some CT money plus the free flat repair etc.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
932 posts
706 upvotes
mtippins wrote: Just wanted to second the thank-you. I'm squarely on the fence at the moment because I re-checked the numbers and the potential savings I'm looking at is only ~$150. For my 18 inch tires it's $902 cash price minus $50 rebate for Michelin Defender T+H at Advantire vs. $577 plus installation (so close to $700 all in) for the Motomaster Hydro Edge. Of course, I'd also lose out on some CT money plus the free flat repair etc.
They just dropped the price again on the Motomaster's so check to make sure you've got the most recent price before you make the call. For me it would have been ~$40 cheaper for the set after taxes. Not a lot but enough to buy me the battery maintainer I now need for my wife's car. If I'd been working at the office as in normal times, I could have given a lot more feedback on how these feel, unfortunately with WFH, I just dont have a lot of hours on them. I can say that the last time I drove them, I completely forgot I was on them as opposed to the Michelins. I think maybe the short break-in period helped refine the ride, and I can say that at this point I'm completely satisfied, but for me the difference in price was much greater.