Wheels and Tires

Motomaster Hydra Force tires?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2020 5:10 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27422 posts
7742 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Do you mean Hydra Edge Tour ?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pd ... 72027.html

It's not related to Michelin Hydro Edge -> Destiny/ Harmony -> Defender Gen 1 - > Defender Gen 2 T+H / X Tour

As it's marketing is the same as the Winter Edge , it's likely the Hydra Edge is made by Cooper and related to the Cooper Evolution Tour

Motomaster Winter Edge = Cooper Evolution Winter

It might be worthwhile keeping an eye on the CT tire clearance sales and the RFD Hot Deals forum. Last year, CT cleared out name brand tires for cheap. Continental TrueContact 17" sizes were cleared out last year for like $80 a tire, CT also had good deals for the 2018 clearance
Good observations and CT usually has contracts with one maker for a certain# of years but the Hydra Edge looks nothing like anything in Cooper's lineup, plus being made in China I doubt it' Cooper--thought all of theirs were made in US? It's definitely not related to anything Michelin/BFG either... Look like along the lines of ice cream tyres to me lol.

It's also a bit sneaky for CT to have used a name so similar to a Michelin model.
Jun 10, 2008
445 posts
322 upvotes
Halton Hills
Pete_Coach wrote: "Some regard MotoMaster as an entry level line of tires despite the tires being produced for Canadian Tire by larger companies such as Michelin (SE2), Cooper (SE3, Winter Edge) and BF Goodrich."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MotoMaster

I suspect that the Hydra Forces is very similar, if not the same as Michelin HydroEdge.
Do not think for a second that because Michelin made it for CT that they are of the same quality. Big brand names make many junk tires for other companies. They are absolutely not equivalent.
May 24, 2016
104 posts
26 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: I can confirm that they are made in China. I had to go look to be sure, but there it is. I absolutely agree with your feelings about Made in China tires (or any other product for that matter). If it wasn't for the fact that they are made by Cooper and were a huge discount, I would have likely gone with something made in NA too. The other factor for me is that I'm not sure how much longer I'll be keeping this vehicle, so I didn't want to drop $1K on tires so that I could give them away when I sell the car. Good luck with your decision, I'll update you by PM if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer Tapout. I need tires ASAP to avoid running down my x-ice winters so just ordered some now.
I think I got a pretty good deal.

Instead of the motomaster hydra edge made in China I got General AS-05 Made in the Good Ole USA!

Was going to spend 108.00 x 4 on hydra edge for 235 55 17 or total 432.00 before tax

Instead bought General G Max AS 05, 235 55 17. Regularly 184.97. Now 147.97. After using master pass 4x as 4 separate transactions that’s 25x4 back. Then you have the General tire 40.00 rebate.

I believe that takes the tire package of the General G max to 112x 4 or 448.00 total. Plus tax of course and will use my favourite tire guy who charges 20.00 a piece to install taxes in.

448.00 for 17” 235 55 17 seems awesome keeping in mind they have awesome reviews, W rated for a VW, and made in the United States of America! I trust the QA! As long as trumps not in charge Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35477 posts
9506 upvotes
Ottawa
thisischris wrote: Do not think for a second that because Michelin made it for CT that they are of the same quality. Big brand names make many junk tires for other companies. They are absolutely not equivalent.
For sure, Michelin (or other big tire companies) degrade their equipment and formulas and molds and processes and procedures so they can make inferior products. :facepalm:
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
936 posts
763 upvotes
DealzToronto wrote: Thanks for the offer Tapout. I need tires ASAP to avoid running down my x-ice winters so just ordered some now.
I think I got a pretty good deal.

Instead of the motomaster hydra edge made in China I got General AS-05 Made in the Good Ole USA!

Was going to spend 108.00 x 4 on hydra edge for 235 55 17 or total 432.00 before tax

Instead bought General G Max AS 05, 235 55 17. Regularly 184.97. Now 147.97. After using master pass 4x as 4 separate transactions that’s 25x4 back. Then you have the General tire 40.00 rebate.

I believe that takes the tire package of the General G max to 112x 4 or 448.00 total. Plus tax of course and will use my favourite tire guy who charges 20.00 a piece to install taxes in.

448.00 for 17” 235 55 17 seems awesome keeping in mind they have awesome reviews, W rated for a VW, and made in the United States of America! I trust the QA! As long as trumps not in charge Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Good dealing Dealz. I got the Masterpass discount for the total purchase. The tires were $118 each so didn't qualify individually. I guess I could have made two purchases for another $25, but regardless, the Generals weren't on sale so weren't an option. Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you'll like the Generals, they always get high marks on TireRack.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
936 posts
763 upvotes
thisischris wrote: Do not think for a second that because Michelin made it for CT that they are of the same quality. Big brand names make many junk tires for other companies. They are absolutely not equivalent.
I believe I will think that until proven otherwise. I have friends who have made-by-Cooper Motomaster's and have nothing but good things to say about them. Unless you can prove that these tires are somehow inferior, I'll take your thoughts as opinion, and not fact.
May 24, 2016
104 posts
26 upvotes
I am already second guessing my purchase.
On YouTube someone reviewed these tires in 2018 and they said made in Romania on the side. Tire rack has them listed as USA so hoping the 2019 version manufacture is origin USA.

On another note I thought I could save another 40
With the tire discount but now am reading this:l from the rebate site:

single purchase transaction from an authorized participating Canadian GENERALTIRE® dealer and completed redemption form.

Bottom line is it was not a single purchase was 4 purchases to get the Masterpass promo. Maybe if they see the time date they can assume it was a single purchase. Who knows.
Jun 10, 2008
445 posts
322 upvotes
Halton Hills
DealzToronto wrote: I am already second guessing my purchase.
On YouTube someone reviewed these tires in 2018 and they said made in Romania on the side. Tire rack has them listed as USA so hoping the 2019 version manufacture is origin USA.

On another note I thought I could save another 40
With the tire discount but now am reading this:l from the rebate site:

single purchase transaction from an authorized participating Canadian GENERALTIRE® dealer and completed redemption form.

Bottom line is it was not a single purchase was 4 purchases to get the Masterpass promo. Maybe if they see the time date they can assume it was a single purchase. Who knows.
It's is not uncommon to have the same model tire made in different parts of the world. I've regularly seen different origins in a stack of the same tires.
Jun 10, 2008
445 posts
322 upvotes
Halton Hills
Tapout123 wrote: I believe I will think that until proven otherwise. I have friends who have made-by-Cooper Motomaster's and have nothing but good things to say about them. Unless you can prove that these tires are somehow inferior, I'll take your thoughts as opinion, and not fact.
They may very well be a decent tire. While working in the industry years ago I've learned that big brands do produce for smaller brands at various levels of quality. Specifically this came from Michelin field reps and different training seminars. They DO make house brands like the Harmony, Destiny and X-Radial- but they are all branded Michelin with similar pricing. Do you really think Cooper or Michelin would just rebrand their tire and sell of much cheaper?
Last edited by thisischris on Apr 27th, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 10, 2008
445 posts
322 upvotes
Halton Hills
Pete_Coach wrote: For sure, Michelin (or other big tire companies) degrade their equipment and formulas and molds and processes and procedures so they can make inferior products. :facepalm:
That's a far stretch from what I said.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3753 posts
3850 upvotes
GTA
Tire design, mold design, rubber formulation, and processes are all ways that a vendor can cut cost. That's how a Motomaster tire can sell at a fraction of the cost of their Tier 1 brand offering.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35477 posts
9506 upvotes
Ottawa
thisischris wrote:
That's a far stretch from what I said.
You said "Big brand names make many junk tires for other companies. They are absolutely not equivalent." Not a stretch at all. You accused them of lowering all processes to produce inferior products.
derass wrote: Tire design, mold design, rubber formulation, and processes are all ways that a vendor can cut cost. That's how a Motomaster tire can sell at a fraction of the cost of their Tier 1 brand offering.
A vendor does not manufacture, they sell. They buy from a manufacturer for resale. If a vendor can sell a product that is made by a manufacturer for less, perhaps the manufacturer is charging more for the product with their name on it because of brand recognition and sells a house brand for less?
That happens all the time, particularity in food items...cans of corn or beans or whatever all made at the same place but different labels. No Name products being made by brand name processors. Different brand engine oil containers being filled up on the same production line and so on.
Brands even make products with different names on the box to sell to a different market segment yet the product in the box is the same but selling as house brands. Or, they make a product and sell it to anyone who in turn, puts it in their own box.....brake pads for instance. Electronic parts are another example of the same product in many vendor boxes. It is marketing.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15466 posts
4611 upvotes
London
thisischris wrote: It's is not uncommon to have the same model tire made in different parts of the world. I've regularly seen different origins in a stack of the same tires.
+1, the old Michelin Xi3 is made in Michelin plants located at Russia, Thailand as well as Canada. What you buy in a store here can be made in any of those plants depending on the tire size and time of year the tire was made.
derass wrote: Tire design, mold design, rubber formulation, and processes are all ways that a vendor can cut cost. That's how a Motomaster tire can sell at a fraction of the cost of their Tier 1 brand offering.
+1, the same basic tire design can be tweaked for different price points and sold under different labels:
For example Michelin = tier 1, BF Goodrich = tier 2 , Uniroyal = tier 3. All these brands name are owned by and manufactured by Michelin. Same with Goodyear (Dunlop, Kelly), Bridgestone (Firestone, Fuzion) and Continental (General, Barium)
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
936 posts
763 upvotes
thisischris wrote: They may very well be a decent tire. While working in the industry years ago I've learned that big brands do produce for smaller brands at various levels of quality. Specifically this came from Michelin field reps and different training seminars. They DO make house brands like the Harmony, Destiny and X-Radial- but they are all branded Michelin with similar pricing. Do you really think Cooper or Michelin would just rebrand their tire and sell of much cheaper?
I think CT would ask a major tire manufacturer (or just put out for bid to all of their tire vendors) to make a tire to certain specs, i.e. price point, seasonal usage (3-season, winter), vehicle profile (SUV, sedan), features etc. and the manufacturer would respond based on what they could manufacture within the bounds of their current processes and plant capability. In this case what I BELIEVE I got was a tire that is the same or very similar in most aspects to one of Cooper's premier tires, but made in China and with a less durable rubber compound. I am under no illusion that I got $1000 worth of tires for $500, but based on the feedback I've received from others who have owned Motomaster tires, I do think I got quality rubber and good tread design that will last around 3/4 as long as the Michelins. And while I would always prefer to buy tires made in the US or Canada, I don't for one second, think I got "junk". Time will tell though, and if these tires do end up being a disappointment, then they will be the last Motomaster's I'll ever buy (just as I'll never buy another set of Yokohama's).