Shopping Discussion

Motor oil at Costco in Lower Mainland (Vancouver area)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 3:18 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2013
273 posts
221 upvotes
Lower mainland BC

Motor oil at Costco in Lower Mainland (Vancouver area)

Has anyone noticed if oil is stocked at any of the warehouses and what prices compared to ordering online?
Specifically interested in the Surrey warehouse.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3432 posts
3920 upvotes
GVRD
Have a look in the current Costco West weekly thread, as well as the more recent versions in the Expired thread sections. I'm pretty sure they've been on-sale recently, but it will show both prices. If I'm not mistaken, there's the Kirkland brand and another. As far as stock in a specific store, once you know which one you want, best to give them a call - better with the item number.
[OP]
May 9, 2013
273 posts
221 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
RxMills wrote: Have a look in the current Costco West weekly thread, as well as the more recent versions in the Expired thread sections. I'm pretty sure they've been on-sale recently, but it will show both prices. If I'm not mistaken, there's the Kirkland brand and another. As far as stock in a specific store, once you know which one you want, best to give them a call - better with the item number.
Do you mean this?: https://cocowest.ca/?s=motor+oil

It does say if it is at my warehouse

I'm new to Costco shopping so just learning
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3432 posts
3920 upvotes
GVRD
martik818 wrote: Do you mean this?:
That's an outside-RFD one, but there's an amazing guy (@thatdealguy) that posts weekly Costco threads for the west coast Costco members. Here's the most recent one:

costco-west-bc-ab-mb-sk-aug-2-8-281-pic ... 1-2480920/

If there's nothing there about oil, you could check for his previous weekly threads in:

expired-hot-deals-f68/

Nothing will be specific to the Surrey location though, it's more general to all west coast warehouses. Aside from calling that local warehouse, I don't believe there's any other way to check inventory of a product for one specific warehouse.

Good luck!
[OP]
May 9, 2013
273 posts
221 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
RxMills wrote: That's an outside-RFD one, but there's an amazing guy (@thatdealguy) that posts weekly Costco threads for the west coast Costco members. Here's the most recent one:

costco-west-bc-ab-mb-sk-aug-2-8-281-pic ... 1-2480920/

If there's nothing there about oil, you could check for his previous weekly threads in:

expired-hot-deals-f68/

Nothing will be specific to the Surrey location though, it's more general to all west coast warehouses. Aside from calling that local warehouse, I don't believe there's any other way to check inventory of a product for one specific warehouse.

Good luck!
Thanks

What is it with Costco that they cannot disclose their inventory like any other modern store in the 21st century :)?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5273 posts
3736 upvotes
Vancouver
martik818 wrote: Thanks

What is it with Costco that they cannot disclose their inventory like any other modern store in the 21st century :)?
Because their online prices are generally higher to account for shipping. Advertising lower prices in store isn’t exactly good for online business. That and Costco relies a lot on foot traffic and the fact members will just buy everything in one go without really caring about the pricing assuming it’s always cheaper (regular price wise, this is generally true).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29049 posts
14591 upvotes

Inventory? They do. Just not really publicly.
I phone them all the time asking if they (or any other warehouse in the area) has a particular SKU.
Sometimes they'll even tell me the price, but other times they keep it secret.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1445 posts
738 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you have to buy from Costco? Their oil isn't cheaper than what Canadian tire has what it's on sale.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5730 posts
5402 upvotes
Vancouver

Because their marketing strategy depends on customers walking in and browsing for "deals" and making unplanned purchases.

There is a reason why Costco doesn't label their aisles and moves products around on the floor.
[OP]
May 9, 2013
273 posts
221 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
someone16 wrote: Do you have to buy from Costco? Their oil isn't cheaper than what Canadian tire has what it's on sale.
It's 1/2 price or less: On sale at CT now same oil is $30, at Costco it is $28.99 for 2 jugs
https://cocowest.ca/?s=0w-20

Checkout Rockauto for filters and other parts (a fraction of CDN retailer prices) even with shipping
[OP]
May 9, 2013
273 posts
221 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
death_hawk wrote: Inventory? They do. Just not really publicly.
I phone them all the time asking if they (or any other warehouse in the area) has a particular SKU.
Sometimes they'll even tell me the price, but other times they keep it secret.
Seems like an anachronism but I guess it works since they are still in business.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29049 posts
14591 upvotes
martik818 wrote: Seems like an anachronism but I guess it works since they are still in business.
To be fair, how many retailers have a good public inventory system?
Out of the medium and big name players I can name like 3 off hand.
Canadian Tire is pretty good as is Home Depot. Princess Auto is another that comes to mind. That's about it.

Walmart for example has an absolute dumpster fire of a website and inventory system until @seafish fixed it with stocktrack. I'm pretty sure I'd never shop there if he didn't fix it.
Superstore has no inventory system at all that's publicly facing. Even their own website lets you order a bunch of items that they don't know are out of stock until they pick the order.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1687 posts
1176 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: To be fair, how many retailers have a good public inventory system?
Out of the medium and big name players I can name like 3 off hand.
Canadian Tire is pretty good as is Home Depot. Princess Auto is another that comes to mind. That's about it.

Walmart for example has an absolute dumpster fire of a website and inventory system until @seafish fixed it with stocktrack. I'm pretty sure I'd never shop there if he didn't fix it.
Superstore has no inventory system at all that's publicly facing. Even their own website lets you order a bunch of items that they don't know are out of stock until they pick the order.
Best Buy has a decent one and same with Ikea. Other than that, everyone else needs to step up their game in terms of accurate publicly available inventory.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29049 posts
14591 upvotes
Alivenate wrote: Best Buy has a decent one
As far as I can tell (without 3rd party tools) there's only an in stock or not option.
While okay, I wouldn't call it decent. I have no idea they have one (that may or may not be a ghost) or 1000.

With 3rd party tools (ie stock track) I can easily tell but that means Walmart also has a decent a inventory system.
and same with Ikea.
Slightly better with "In Stock", "Low stock", "Out of stock" but still no hard numbers.
It's weird because I'm fairly certain before the latest website redesign, they did have hard numbers at one point but I just tried 3 random products and I get "colors".
One product that was "Low stock" showed up as one on stock track. I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that it's a ghost.

Again, stock track fixes this with hard numbers because @seafish is a literal genius but the native websites themselves at both above retailers are pretty awful.
I actually *HATE* Ikea's new website.
Other than that, everyone else needs to step up their game in terms of accurate publicly available inventory.
The one that makes me laugh the most is Loblaws. They spent a dump truck full of money implementing SAP but didn't tie it to their website.
I don't think I've had a pickup order that's ever been 100% complete.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1687 posts
1176 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: As far as I can tell (without 3rd party tools) there's only an in stock or not option.
While okay, I wouldn't call it decent. I have no idea they have one (that may or may not be a ghost) or 1000.

With 3rd party tools (ie stock track) I can easily tell but that means Walmart also has a decent a inventory system.
True. I was just going off the top of my head really... At the very least, when it says in stock, it's still pretty accurate enough that if you get there, you should be able to find it.
Slightly better with "In Stock", "Low stock", "Out of stock" but still no hard numbers.
It's weird because I'm fairly certain before the latest website redesign, they did have hard numbers at one point but I just tried 3 random products and I get "colors".
One product that was "Low stock" showed up as one on stock track. I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that it's a ghost.

Again, stock track fixes this with hard numbers because @seafish is a literal genius but the native websites themselves at both above retailers are pretty awful.
I actually *HATE* Ikea's new website.
Yea I remembered they had a number count on their website. I guess it's changed since then.
[OP]
May 9, 2013
273 posts
221 upvotes
Lower mainland BC
death_hawk wrote:

The one that makes me laugh the most is Loblaws. They spent a dump truck full of money implementing SAP but didn't tie it to their website.
I don't think I've had a pickup order that's ever been 100% complete.
Hate Superstore's return/defect process - There is none online so you have to call the store and that doesn't always work - ie: I called 3x to get a credit on an item not rec'd.
Yes, partial orders are pretty much standard with SS.

Walmart is excellent, just go online and tag the item as defective or whatever and you get a credit back within minutes - no questions asked ( I can't see this lasting though)

I really don't care about online stock QOH's, nothing I order is really "mission critical" I have several months food supply in the freezer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)