Automotive

Motorcycle continous insurance question.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2016 11:13 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1716 posts
453 upvotes

Motorcycle continous insurance question.

I got a question for you guys, I've had my motorcycle insurance continous since 2004 with a few different companies, but I just did the quote for Dalton Timmis and one question was how.long have you had continous motorcycle insurance. Just say I take a year off motorcycle insurance and then go and get insurance again,does all those years lose its count?. II'm with intact insurance with my 2001 Yamaha v star and the quote from Dalton was the same +- 10 bucks, wasn't worth switching.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1056 posts
396 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Depending on the insurance company, having gaps of motorcycle insurance can negatively impact your rate (not qualifying for certain discounts).
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If I recall correctly, insurance companies are not able to negativly impact your insurance rates for gaps in insurance; but insurance companies can offer discounts for those that have no gaps.

Seems like a bit of a grey area, but I had a few insurance agents try to explain it to me.

In other words, some companies will take the gaps into a account and others wont...

Example- RBC didn't care I had gaps of 6-7 months when I sold bikes and didn't immediately buy anything... But I have talked to people that have riden for 10 years, quit for a year and then are classified as a new rider by certain companies..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1716 posts
453 upvotes
Ok so just certain companies so I'm with intact and didn't have insurance for a year they might try to set me up as a new driver again and I can just shop around to one that doesn't, makes sense thought all would hit me with new driver charge. Thanks again
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8434 posts
1222 upvotes
When I sold my bike I asked my insurance company about this. They said they only considered it a "gap" if I had a bike but no insurance. I.e. I could be potentially riding without insurance.

Since I sold my bike, I was told it wouldn't be considered a gap. Thus was with state farm.