Expired Hot Deals

[Mountain Equipment Co-op] MEC Clearance - Up to 60% Off

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:58 am
Nov 14, 2006
318 posts
311 upvotes
Montreal
coolwasabi wrote: Not boycotting would be "politics" too.
You're just upset that they didn't pick your side. Which... fine. But just say that then instead.

Anyway, agree with others that said that Mountain Equipment Co-op actually died a long time ago. It's too bad. They had a nice little thing going on. Bags, camping gear, climbing gear... quality stuff. Of course, that's the problem: it was a nice *little* thing and their board wanted a *bigger* piece of the market so they went more mainstream and even watered down their classics.

I'll miss ya...
I have the same MEC bag from 90s... I used to like the quality of MEC brand bags a lot and if you ever loose or break a clip buckle, they will sew a new one for you while you wait for free.

MEC lost direction when it decided to be a retail outlet for the masses by carrying several brands and No longer designing its own brand equipment.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6763 posts
3164 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
GreenLean wrote: Washing fleece ruins it iirc, might have to dry clean it, or use that self dry clean thing in the dryer, from years ago... If you find that plz post link!
You can cold water wash it and hang dry.
If you use hot water or dryer dry it, it will shrink.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Jan 30, 2008
657 posts
148 upvotes
Is this all types of fleece or specific ones? I've always cold washed but reg high heat dried and it's never shrunk? A mix of brands and thicknesses.
Aug 11, 2012
603 posts
184 upvotes
azia wrote: Is this all types of fleece or specific ones? I've always cold washed but reg high heat dried and it's never shrunk? A mix of brands and thicknesses.
Just check if it's 100% polyester, if so, it shouldn't shrink
Jan 30, 2008
657 posts
148 upvotes
Sad to see them go but price wise, I now purchase mostly from Altitude Sport and The Last Hunt with occasional orders from Sportcheck/Atmosphere. They decided to become jack of all trades and became master of none... They gambled on competing with the yoga, lifestyle, etc. markets but lost their way with their technical knowledge, quality, etc. and then when they couldn't complete in the aforementioned markets, there was not enough time/resources/REPUTATION left to go back to what they were. It's too bad. REI on the US side seems to have done a much better job weathering through competition and changing retail landscape.

On a different note, if it's close to your b-day, look for the $10 off card. It's given as a straight up gift card instead of promo code so deducting that doesn't affect your free shipping threshold. Got a pair of Men's Mochilero stretch pants half off and a pair of Kid's birkenstocks ($15.60...FIRE sale!)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1940 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
made it to the checkout page and it asks me to buy a $5 share lmao
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17721 posts
1263 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Guncho wrote: I have $200 in gift cards. Should I be buying something sooner than later?
Yes. Buy now imo. Prices will probably go up under the new owner. New owner is a private equity firm, they bought it to make a profit. They can't make a profit without increasing prices!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17721 posts
1263 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
BTW just wait for the inevitable leveraged buyout of Chapters Indigo... I'll stop now since that's OT.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5764 posts
4416 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: Yes. Buy now imo. Prices will probably go up under the new owner. New owner is a private equity firm, they bought it to make a profit. They can't make a profit without increasing prices!
It's going to go the way of Sears.

Move all valuable asset under another corp and bankrupt MEC and close it up.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1783 posts
195 upvotes
Oakville, ON
azia wrote: Sad to see them go but price wise, I now purchase mostly from Altitude Sport and The Last Hunt with occasional orders from Sportcheck/Atmosphere. They decided to become jack of all trades and became master of none... They gambled on competing with the yoga, lifestyle, etc. markets but lost their way with their technical knowledge, quality, etc. and then when they couldn't complete in the aforementioned markets, there was not enough time/resources/REPUTATION left to go back to what they were. It's too bad. REI on the US side seems to have done a much better job weathering through competition and changing retail landscape.

On a different note, if it's close to your b-day, look for the $10 off card. It's given as a straight up gift card instead of promo code so deducting that doesn't affect your free shipping threshold. Got a pair of Men's Mochilero stretch pants half off and a pair of Kid's birkenstocks ($15.60...FIRE sale!)
MEC has never given me a $10 gift card on my birthday. :(
Nov 14, 2006
318 posts
311 upvotes
Montreal
Guncho wrote: MEC has never given me a $10 gift card on my birthday. :(
Ditto. ☹️
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3640 posts
1947 upvotes
I wonder if the the MEC name will stay in place since is no longer a C(o-op). I guess they could keep it as MEC but not have it being an acronym for anything.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: I wonder if the the MEC name will stay in place since is no longer a C(o-op). I guess they could keep it as MEC but not have it being an acronym for anything.
They can just rename themselves Mountain Equipment Corporation and keep the same acronym.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Mar 22, 2006
190 posts
21 upvotes
globalstar66 wrote: I for one won't be shedding a tear.... When Dicks Sporting Goods decided to boycott certain firearms brands, MEC jumped on the bandwagon and decided to completely stop selling all products from Vista Outdoors (at the time they owned Savage Firearms and they still own brands such as Camelbak, Giro, Bell, Camp Chef and a host of others) - I withdrew my membership from MEC and never set foot in their stores again, and never looked at their website again - and all my friends and family did the same. The day they decided to get involved with "politics", was the end of them for lots and lots of outdoorsmen and women. You reap what you sow....
cancel culture is getting out of hand.