Expired Hot Deals

[Mountain Equipment Co-op] MEC Clearance - Up to 60% Off

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:58 am
Mar 22, 2006
190 posts
21 upvotes
Neocodex wrote: They went woke, I went nope.

I have no time for companies who make major changes just to satisfy irrational SJW fears.

Same with Nike. Preaching BLM while selling shoes made by child labor.
if corporations are people, then these 'people' have the right to free speech.

Is Nike perfect? No, but they're trying to become better corporate citizens. This year, they released the Nike Space Hippie which uses 25-50% recycled materials. I wish it was 100% but we don't always get what we want. In terms of child labour, I'm pretty sure Nike constantly audits their factories. But if wearing Nike wasn't a big deal to you before 2020, then I guess you really didn't care about child labour practices anyway.

Its 2020, and people can demand better from the companies they buy from. We can participate in the system but at the same time demand changes.

Vote with your dollars! Nobody is begging you to buy Nike, you can wear Skechers.
Apr 19, 2017
46 posts
127 upvotes
jodeci78 wrote: if corporations are people, then these 'people' have the right to free speech.

Is Nike perfect? No, but they're trying to become better corporate citizens. This year, they released the Nike Space Hippie which uses 25-50% recycled materials. I wish it was 100% but we don't always get what we want. In terms of child labour, I'm pretty sure Nike constantly audits their factories. But if wearing Nike wasn't a big deal to you before 2020, then I guess you really didn't care about child labour practices anyway.

Its 2020, and people can demand better from the companies they buy from. We can participate in the system but at the same time demand changes.

Vote with your dollars! Nobody is begging you to buy Nike, you can wear Skechers.
Nike isn't really trying to become better citizens. The space hippie is a limited release, fast fashion shoe. It's a product aimed at people who collect shoes, that often don't wear them. It's a gimmick.
Oct 15, 2014
411 posts
266 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
jodeci78 wrote: if corporations are people, then these 'people' have the right to free speech.

Actually, the US Supreme Court decision which is always cited to declare corporations are people, decided exactly the opposite.

The clerk of the court, a former railroad CEO, put in the decision summary, the part that has no bearing in law or the case, that the US Chief Justice told him that he personally would have decided the opposite, so the effect is that corporations are people. People don't actually read the decision, so they cite something untrue.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2011
1201 posts
330 upvotes
KANATA

So Woke
derpin
Mar 22, 2006
190 posts
21 upvotes
noregister2 wrote: Nike isn't really trying to become better citizens. The space hippie is a limited release, fast fashion shoe. It's a product aimed at people who collect shoes, that often don't wear them. It's a gimmick.
they came out with four styles of the Space Hippie, and then they dropped the Vapormax. But just like a Tesla, start by making it cool and hard-to-get, in order to sell the expensive econobox cars. It takes time.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1400 posts
311 upvotes
Vancouver
anyone know a bag good for posture? i'm guessing needs one of those chest straps.
Dec 13, 2019
158 posts
118 upvotes
When MEC corporate sold (out) itself to the private equity firm, the membership was not consulted about this and the possible change to the membership structure -- even though it defeats the purpose of a cooperative, where every member has a say in the matter and let democracy do its job. I have a feeling that they were so lost and the losses were mounting fast, and if they don't move now, the whole house of cards would come crashing down. I feel the stores are very upscale and swanky with prices to match and losing that grassroots kind of feel to them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5439 posts
1863 upvotes
GTEH!
coolwasabi wrote: Not boycotting would be "politics" too.
You're just upset that they didn't pick your side. Which... fine. But just say that then instead.

Anyway, agree with others that said that Mountain Equipment Co-op actually died a long time ago. It's too bad. They had a nice little thing going on. Bags, camping gear, climbing gear... quality stuff. Of course, that's the problem: it was a nice *little* thing and their board wanted a *bigger* piece of the market so they went more mainstream and even watered down their classics.

I'll miss ya...
Thank goodness I have a few bags and extra bags I bought as backup with this stitched-in original Logo.
The quality and thickness of the denier nylon was way better. the Zippers were also heavy duty.
Hopefully these will last for awhile.

Not like the current bags with the "MEC" Logo, the quality just isn't there anymore. Thinner material, zippers not heavy duty. *sigh*

It was nice knowing you MEC. Like a lot of things, all good things slowly come to an end......................
😎