• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:58 am
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2011
4105 posts
9524 upvotes
Quebec
Just got shoes for running this winter. Thx OP
In my opinion, every intervention in RFD deserve a "thanks". Thanks given until now: more than 100,000

Giving "Likes" gives cancer.... Don't do it!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1036 posts
376 upvotes
CalgaryRunner wrote: When I first joined MEC, their in house brand for items like clothing, backpacks, etc. was good quality stuff at a very competitive price. I have MEC Gore-Tex jackets that are over 20 years old and I still wear them daily with little visible wear on them. There were name brands that made gear that was better than MEC's stuff, but at a much higher price. In short, MEC hit the bullseye on the price/quality curve. Plus you felt like part of a family with fellow backpackers and outdoor enthusiasts.

A few years ago they moved away from that when their house brand stuff became low quality overpriced crap that would fail on you shortly after you bought it. They also became more of a "lifestyle" store which turned me off. When that happened I pretty much stopped shopping there, as did many others. That's why they're under creditor protection now.
Got it. Thanks.

Perhaps they wanted a slice of a pie-hipster niche, but I dont know much about the apparel industry other than it moves faster than light.
Nov 29, 2011
844 posts
897 upvotes
CalgaryRunner wrote: When I first joined MEC, their in house brand for items like clothing, backpacks, etc. was good quality stuff at a very competitive price. I have MEC Gore-Tex jackets that are over 20 years old and I still wear them daily with little visible wear on them. There were name brands that made gear that was better than MEC's stuff, but at a much higher price. In short, MEC hit the bullseye on the price/quality curve. Plus you felt like part of a family with fellow backpackers and outdoor enthusiasts.

A few years ago they moved away from that when their house brand stuff became low quality overpriced crap that would fail on you shortly after you bought it. They also became more of a "lifestyle" store which turned me off. When that happened I pretty much stopped shopping there, as did many others. That's why they're under creditor protection now.
that sucks. i remember when my friend first introduced me to MEC and the backpack i got from there was awesome. and a decent price. if they kept on that trajectory...

they even fixed my zipper a few years ago and because they didn't have the same kind in stock, they ended up not charging me for it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5438 posts
1862 upvotes
GTEH!
badOne wrote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mec-ac ... -1.5723934

"Today's announcement, including the transition from a co-operative structure, is creating a positive path forward for MEC."
Thundercloud wrote: F. Will member shares be paid out then?
CalgaryRunner wrote: I figured it was going to happen soon. Years ago they started moving away from what made them successful and this is the end result of their poor business decisions.
bhrm wrote: Management really ran it into the ground, retail expansion was too ambitious and to be honest didn't really fit the ideals of a co-op.

I'm uber sad, and also disappointed that it wasn't even sold to a Canadian Private Equity Firm....
Fort McMurray wrote: Glad I got my equity cheque when they sqwaked about firearms policies, the article doesn't mention that foregone cash from member's pockets. (It is only $5 if you never spent a dollar in the store)
Yeah, heard the news last night about MEC sale to US Co. Sad.
However, I agree with a lot of peeps here saying the "COOP" lost it's Vision years ago when Profits was more important than quality, affordable products.
I've had my "Membership" for Years and also wonder if we get a refund of our $5 Lifetime Membership?
Will have to find another Store for similar stuff I've bought at MEC. Disappointed But Relieved Face
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4187 posts
2273 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: Got it. Thanks.

Perhaps they wanted a slice of a pie-hipster niche, but I dont know much about the apparel industry other than it moves faster than light.
There was nothing fashionable about MEC stuff and customers don't care, just want great quality for reasonable and fair prices. I have backpacks that survived years of abuse, pants and stuff.

I don't understand why MEC tried to compete against brand name retailers, fancy stores, and failed to focus on online shopping.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1106 posts
104 upvotes
Calgary
Well since MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) is no longer a co-operative and has been bought out by a holdings company, should they be forced to rename it to MEH (Mountain Equipment Holdings)?

Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1473 posts
575 upvotes
Its pretty simple. If you see the logo on the left, its worth buying. If you see the logo on the right, its probably as good as the walmart stuff that costs 1/3rd as much.
Luckily i bought all my MEC stuff before they changed the business model. Its sad to see them go, but realistically they were gone about a decade ago. Chasing after the north face crowd, rather than competing with patagonia or arcteryx.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1374 posts
1512 upvotes
Toronto
Scott86 wrote: Its pretty simple. If you see the logo on the left, its worth buying. If you see the logo on the right, its probably as good as the walmart stuff that costs 1/3rd as much.
Luckily i bought all my MEC stuff before they changed the business model. Its sad to see them go, but realistically they were gone about a decade ago. Chasing after the north face crowd, rather than competing with patagonia or arcteryx.
And now they are all pretty much the same looking to project active lifestyles to prospective customers.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3518 posts
655 upvotes
LOL. the timbuk2 backpack I bought before covid is way cheaper now. I used it for a couple of weeks before WFH started. haha.

Hot if you have somewhere to go.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1785 posts
364 upvotes
Thornhill
poorwingman wrote: LOL. the timbuk2 backpack I bought before covid is way cheaper now. I used it for a couple of weeks before WFH started. haha.

Hot if you have somewhere to go.
Plus use code BTS10 for additional 10% off. I just picked up the Timbuk2 Spire with the code. Came out just shy of $100
Jun 16, 2019
400 posts
1164 upvotes
west as
Scott86 wrote: Its pretty simple. If you see the logo on the left, its worth buying. If you see the logo on the right, its probably as good as the walmart stuff that costs 1/3rd as much.
Totally agree. I'm in my mid -30s and its a shadow of the place it was in my youth let alone when my parents went at my age (shakes fist at clouds). An iconic Vancouver, if not Canadian, store driven into mediocrity trying to please the Joffre lakes weekend warrior crowd, holding onto a crumbling facade of quality destined to compete with the likes of Mountain Warehouse.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6763 posts
3164 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mountain Equipment Co-op sold to U.S. private investment firm as pandemic takes toll
https://financialpost.com/news/retail-m ... -take-toll
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Aug 17, 2006
90 posts
18 upvotes
Webhead wrote: I've had my "Membership" for Years and also wonder if we get a refund of our $5 Lifetime Membership?
The company is/was insolvent, so no, members won't get a refund.