Expired Hot Deals

[Mountain Equipment Co-op] MEC Clearance - Up to 60% Off

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:58 am
Feb 24, 2012
249 posts
75 upvotes
TORONTO
tenth wrote: The company is/was insolvent, so no, members won't get a refund.
Any idea what will happen to the lifetime guarantee on MEC brands and the overall return policy?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1369 posts
1485 upvotes
Toronto
sanam79er wrote: Any idea what will happen to the lifetime guarantee on MEC brands and the overall return policy?
Guessing they will keep it in place for the short term. One of the reasons that they went with this offer from what I have read is that they committed to keep the most stores open along with retaining staff. Who knows the details of how long that might be but after that period is up, anything could happen. Look to Sail and Atmosphere for their polices as they are their most direct competition although I don't think either have a lot of house branded products.
Last edited by maple1 on Sep 15th, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
On the flipside this was most likely bought through a leveraged buyout, where the buyer borrows to make the purchase. Not only do they have to make the operation turn a profit, but it needs to make enough revenue to pay the make the debt payments.

Usually leveraged buyout's aren't great. It what did things in like ToysRus (in the US).

Not only does this new company have to figure out how to make it profitable, but they have to figure out how to make it cover those payments. Quite often leverage buys are done to somehow squeeze as much wealth to the owners as possible, then claim it went bankrupt.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5433 posts
1844 upvotes
GTEH!
tenth wrote: The company is/was insolvent, so no, members won't get a refund.
The Acquisition is still in process. Probably will take a couple months to finalize the Sale. (I'm guessing).
Maybe next time I am in-store, I'll make my purchase and then ask MEC to cancel my Membership.
😎
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1780 posts
195 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I have $200 in gift cards. Should I be buying something sooner than later?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1239 posts
542 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Webhead wrote: Yeah, heard the news last night about MEC sale to US Co. Sad.
However, I agree with a lot of peeps here saying the "COOP" lost it's Vision years ago when Profits was more important than quality, affordable products.
I've had my "Membership" for Years and also wonder if we get a refund of our $5 Lifetime Membership?
Will have to find another Store for similar stuff I've bought at MEC. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Don't worry about the $5, every dollar you spent there generated an equity share. If you cashed out before they went into financial trouble (I am going to assume you can't do it anymore) then you would have got a cheque for your share of the total equity. (Then buy new share, etc. Old school churning)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1239 posts
542 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Guncho wrote: I have $200 in gift cards. Should I be buying something sooner than later?
Uhhhh, yeah!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1780 posts
195 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Fort McMurray wrote: Uhhhh, yeah!
Why do you think that? They are not closing. The plan is to close a few stores and keep going under new ownership is my understanding.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4309 posts
3443 upvotes
FWIW

MEC faces objections to proposed deal to sell business to U.S. investment firm
September 15 at 6:23 PM ET

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... kingswood/

Since the deal was announced on Monday, a petition on Change.org calling for the board to cancel the deal and hold a new election for directors has gathered more than 10,000 signatures. And on Tuesday, two groups representing co-operatives – Co-operatives and Mutuals Canada and the British Columbia Co-op Association – released a statement calling on the federal government and B.C.'s provincial government “to confirm that provincial and federal legislation has been fully respected allowing the sale of this iconic Canadian co-op retailer to a foreign entity, and that the best interests of MEC members, employees, and the communities they serve are being given full consideration.”
Nov 27, 2014
236 posts
192 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I for one won't be shedding a tear.... When Dicks Sporting Goods decided to boycott certain firearms brands, MEC jumped on the bandwagon and decided to completely stop selling all products from Vista Outdoors (at the time they owned Savage Firearms and they still own brands such as Camelbak, Giro, Bell, Camp Chef and a host of others) - I withdrew my membership from MEC and never set foot in their stores again, and never looked at their website again - and all my friends and family did the same. The day they decided to get involved with "politics", was the end of them for lots and lots of outdoorsmen and women. You reap what you sow....
Jul 22, 2020
270 posts
30 upvotes
Aaaaaron wrote: I grabbed some new climbing pants. Nice deals on Prana and Black Diamond.
How r they diff from just regular pants? Thinking Face
Jul 22, 2020
270 posts
30 upvotes
cstriker045 wrote: Yup I agree on looking at chinese branded gear.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Naturehike, and the quality is very impressive for the price. Ended buying the Cloud Up 3 tent, a 750 FP Down filled sleeping bag, and 2 inflatable sleeping pads (9 CM thickness) for $250 USD via alibaba. Just be wary that these products are more 3 season than 4-season. I wouldn't recommend any of this gear for winter.
How much were the self inflatable sleeping pads? Thinking Face Link?