Expired Hot Deals

[Mountain Equipment Co-op] MEC Clearance - Up to 60% Off

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 11:58 am
Member
Jul 22, 2020
274 posts
30 upvotes
danielions wrote: Got this fleece northface sweater i've had my eye on since last year for 50% off! Still pricey but it was so comfy when I checked it out at the store.

Thanks OP
Washing fleece ruins it iirc, might have to dry clean it, or use that self dry clean thing in the dryer, from years ago... If you find that plz post link!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1595 posts
2766 upvotes
globalstar66 wrote: I for one won't be shedding a tear.... When Dicks Sporting Goods decided to boycott certain firearms brands, MEC jumped on the bandwagon and decided to completely stop selling all products from Vista Outdoors (at the time they owned Savage Firearms and they still own brands such as Camelbak, Giro, Bell, Camp Chef and a host of others) - I withdrew my membership from MEC and never set foot in their stores again, and never looked at their website again - and all my friends and family did the same. The day they decided to get involved with "politics", was the end of them for lots and lots of outdoorsmen and women. You reap what you sow....
Not boycotting would be "politics" too.
You're just upset that they didn't pick your side. Which... fine. But just say that then instead.

Anyway, agree with others that said that Mountain Equipment Co-op actually died a long time ago. It's too bad. They had a nice little thing going on. Bags, camping gear, climbing gear... quality stuff. Of course, that's the problem: it was a nice *little* thing and their board wanted a *bigger* piece of the market so they went more mainstream and even watered down their classics.

I'll miss ya...
Image
Jr. Member
Jun 10, 2020
166 posts
112 upvotes
bylo wrote: Necessarily false. There are lots of farm co-ops including stores and gas stations in Ontario. They're mostly in rural areas, just as they are in TROC.
Cool, I wasn't aware of that. Are they members of Federated Co-operatives Limited?

Co-Op here is based out of Saskatoon (those Socialist Saskatchewan Farmers!!) and a pretty big deal out west. Less-so in larger cities, but a big deal in rural areas and the North.

https://www.fcl.crs/contact-us/location
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1091 posts
2194 upvotes
DasHip wrote: Cool, I wasn't aware of that. Are they members of Federated Co-operatives Limited?

Co-Op here is based out of Saskatoon (those Socialist Saskatchewan Farmers!!) and a pretty big deal out west. Less-so in larger cities, but a big deal in rural areas and the North.

https://www.fcl.crs/contact-us/location
Co-Op on Vancouver Island is pretty incredible. Every year I get a cheque I never feel like I did anything for, and those cheques grow as you age. It's . . .neat.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2011
1204 posts
330 upvotes
KANATA
globalstar66 wrote: I for one won't be shedding a tear.... When Dicks Sporting Goods decided to boycott certain firearms brands, MEC jumped on the bandwagon and decided to completely stop selling all products from Vista Outdoors (at the time they owned Savage Firearms and they still own brands such as Camelbak, Giro, Bell, Camp Chef and a host of others) - I withdrew my membership from MEC and never set foot in their stores again, and never looked at their website again - and all my friends and family did the same. The day they decided to get involved with "politics", was the end of them for lots and lots of outdoorsmen and women. You reap what you sow....
They went woke, I went nope.

I have no time for companies who make major changes just to satisfy irrational SJW fears.

Same with Nike. Preaching BLM while selling shoes made by child labor.
derpin
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
1246 posts
505 upvotes
Vancouver
globalstar66 wrote: I for one won't be shedding a tear....
Don't take it personally? When companies make SJW positions, it's usually to avoid the picket lines and possible vandalism. They usually just care about their bottom line and it's pretty much free advertising.
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 7, 2006
81 posts
98 upvotes
This was my favorite store until they sold out to the USA without member input. Their sales aren't that great and have been going on for months. Very sad fall to a once great company.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 6, 2007
2097 posts
502 upvotes
Montreal
Got some clearance ski poles and a camping pillow, thanks!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
1805 posts
333 upvotes
Lévis
zod wrote: I need/want an Ultralight tent. Trying to shave off a few pounds on my backpacking weight. Current tent is 5lbs+, trying to find one at to 2 to 2.5lbs. Looks like MEC sold out of the BIg Agnes ultralightweight tents before they needed to put them on clearance :(
tarptent.com
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
1805 posts
333 upvotes
Lévis
LesDeals wrote: It's official: MEC has been sold to a private equity firm and will no longer be a co-op: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mec-ac ... -1.5723934

So that makes them just another outdoor and sporting goods store...
Yep, I'm not surprised. Was a member since the '90's. When it started to be big, you could see the board members type of persons changing.
Worked for them for a short period and I wasn't impressed, to say the least. To the point that I stoped being a member.
.
Last edited by SPARTACVS on Sep 20th, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pourquoi pas?
Jr. Member
Nov 26, 2014
124 posts
136 upvotes
Calgary
GreenLean wrote: How r they diff from just regular pants? Thinking Face
They are usually gusseted for mobility, breathable, have a cuff system and generally don't ride up with a harness on.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 13, 2019
158 posts
119 upvotes
Neocodex wrote: They went woke, I went nope.

I have no time for companies who make major changes just to satisfy irrational SJW fears.

Same with Nike. Preaching BLM while selling shoes made by child labor.
Companies aren't going woke and "being on the right side of history" for purely altruistic purposes. The exception was if a certain social cause was the founding principle of the company and part of the company culture. Otherwise, it's to capitalize (aka business opportunity) to jump on the bandwagon and create that goodwill in attempt to get more converts/customers. Anyone remember the disastrous "How to be a Man" campaign from Gillette during the me too/woke men period? When companies embark on these social campaigns as thinly veiled advertising campaigns, it actually makes them quite phony and insecere. If it does come from the heart, don't splash your name and logo all over the place since it doesn't matter if others know about it or not.

Top