Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket $179.98

Deal Link:
Price:
$179.98
Savings:
50% off
Retailer:
Mountain Hardwear
I need a new down jacket for this upcoming winter season and saw this deal on the Mountain Hardwear Canada site. They have the previous season's models (the non 2.0 versions) at 50% off. Multiple reviews online (maily form the through hiking and backpacking communities) give the jacket a huge thumbs up. The hooded jackets are also on sale for $199.98.

Please note that the site charged me $7.00 shipping to Ontario. No indication on the site for free shipping over a certain purchase amount. The site also states that they include a return label, but the return shipping is not prepaid.

Main reasons why I pulled the trigger on this one:
- it's on sale
- it zips down into its own pocket and packs down to roughly 11 x 6 x 4 inches. Good for travelling.
- good reviews online
- 800 fill hydrophobic down.
- not too puffy, but still really warm.
Last edited by luweege on Sep 15th, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Aug 21, 2019
59 posts
13 upvotes
Is this a good deal or should i wait for more offers ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5057 posts
1288 upvotes
Toronto
luweege wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 11:43 am
The site also states that they include a return label, but the return shipping is not prepaid.
Pro Tip:
If you sign up for the free returns promo at PayPal, you get 12 reimbursements for return shipping per year up to $30 per return. Check out the PayPal website to sign up and also you will need to pay the transaction with PayPal.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
Apr 8, 2017
683 posts
421 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
Is it hard to have a matte color for down jackets? Jesusssss.
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Sep 10, 2004
107 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
I have this, it is a _light_ down jacket, both in terms of weight and warmth. Won’t go deep into the winter in Montreal for example, even layered. Very portable and good when the weather matches though.
Jun 9, 2019
106 posts
119 upvotes
j0yb0y wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 2:06 pm
I have this, it is a _light_ down jacket, both in terms of weight and warmth. Won’t go deep into the winter in Montreal for example, even layered. Very portable and good when the weather matches though.
However, I have a similar jacket from Mountain Hardwear that's fantastic as a layer underneath a windproof thermal shell from Columbia. For the truly cold weather it goes great underneath my parka.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1571 posts
234 upvotes
The main benefit for this jacket is ultra light weight for climbers and hikers (just 200g - about half of many similarly warm jackets). If you don't care about this you have a lot more options like the Mountain Hardwear Stretch Down jacket, Rab Microlight, Patagonia Down Sweater, North Face Thermoball, etc.

It's a great jacket, but for a specific use.
Nov 7, 2018
32 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa
Already purchase the hoody in orange back in early August. This hoody is good for layering and primarily for hikers and mountaineering.
One could use it in the city setting but there are other jackets that provide better protection and performance.
Images
  • 20190819_140843.jpg
Jul 8, 2019
36 posts
12 upvotes
I am new to Toronto, and want to start shopping for winter. I don't have any winter wear at the moment. Is this a good offer, or should I wait for big retailers to start clearance sales for winter wear?
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2009
4065 posts
1756 upvotes
M-Arkham
darkhorz1 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 4:35 pm
I am new to Toronto, and want to start shopping for winter. I don't have any winter wear at the moment. Is this a good offer, or should I wait for big retailers to start clearance sales for winter wear?
You got 2 options
Find something new and trendy you want, and wait it out til Black Friday sale.

or

You go rack scrounging 3-4 weeks before black friday when a lot of stores will be putting up last season clearance sale to clear up whatever old stock they have left from last year,(size, style, color will be very limited), but this will get your some great deals

Btw, a lot of stores already had a winter clearance sale back in Mar-Jul, this last sale before Black Friday are mostly returns from those sales.
2x Zoomer $36 for 4GB and unlimited Can wide txt/talk
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide Pulse
Apr 16, 2015
770 posts
418 upvotes
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Sep 15th, 2019 1:34 pm
Is it hard to have a matte color for down jackets? Jesusssss.
Yeah, the shiny look is horrible. Wouldn’t be caught dead in a shiny jacket like this.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20303 posts
2274 upvotes
YUL
Rishi wrote: The main benefit for this jacket is ultra light weight for climbers and hikers (just 200g - about half of many similarly warm jackets). If you don't care about this you have a lot more options like the Mountain Hardwear Stretch Down jacket, Rab Microlight, Patagonia Down Sweater, North Face Thermoball, etc.

It's a great jacket, but for a specific use.
Exactly. If you NEED an ultralight packable jacket, this is as good as it gets. It’s main purpose is weight savings.

If you don’t need that, there are much better looking and cheaper jacket deals that can be had
Sep 7, 2014
787 posts
860 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Love their stuff but those shiny puff pants are SLAYING me lol