• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2018 3:38 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2008
84 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

Mouse in the new house

First time home owner here and I recently bought a new house and yesterday I noticed that there was a dead mouse under the sink in the basement washroom. I'm sure that wasn't there when I inspected (June) and when I closed (late Sept), and I've been checking it out regularly and I'm sure it wasn't there when I checked a few weeks back either.

The house was bought to flip and must've been vacant for a year or so before I closed, and was definitely vacant from June to now. There's no food anywhere in the house either. I haven't noticed any droppings beside around the one I've found but I'm worried.

I haven't moved in yet and we are planning fairly major renovations all around but this has irked me a bit - I've read through some other threads and found some good tips for traps and what not, but I'm just wondering if i wanted to get some pest control involved, if I should do it now or after renovations? Is one mouse indicative of a bigger issue? Any advice? In the mean time I plan on just putting some traps around to make sure there isn't a bigger problem.
16 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35596 posts
9640 upvotes
Ottawa
Firstly, there is never just one mouse. :)
Mice look for warm places once it gets cold. It does not matter if there was any food or not. They are looking for warmth for the winter.
Pest control will help catch them but a mouse needs a hole no bigger than a dime to get in so you need to seal the house to prevent entry. A pest control will not search the house for all the openings.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3848 posts
1850 upvotes
First you need to find out why the mouse died. Mice just don't up and die for no reason. You could possibly take soil samples to see if any toxic fumes are coming up through the basement floor. The house may have been built on a sacred Indian burial ground or some other unnatural forces may be at play in the house where you possible have to bring in professionals like exorcists to deal with these issues.
I definitely would be wary of moving in until the questions have been answered.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2728 posts
904 upvotes
Windsor
excal wrote: First time home owner here and I recently bought a new house and yesterday I noticed that there was a dead mouse under the sink in the basement washroom. I'm sure that wasn't there when I inspected (June) and when I closed (late Sept), and I've been checking it out regularly and I'm sure it wasn't there when I checked a few weeks back either.

The house was bought to flip and must've been vacant for a year or so before I closed, and was definitely vacant from June to now. There's no food anywhere in the house either. I haven't noticed any droppings beside around the one I've found but I'm worried.

I haven't moved in yet and we are planning fairly major renovations all around but this has irked me a bit - I've read through some other threads and found some good tips for traps and what not, but I'm just wondering if i wanted to get some pest control involved, if I should do it now or after renovations? Is one mouse indicative of a bigger issue? Any advice? In the mean time I plan on just putting some traps around to make sure there isn't a bigger problem.
The seller probably found mice in the home, set traps and poison, and eradicated the colony. When you moved in, a new mouse probably showed up, ate some poison that's in some random location (maybe outside), and died under your sink.

If you're doing substantial renovations, I'd probably not bother with pest control, but be very wary of mouse droppings; I believe they're quite dangerous if disturbed without neutralizing them. I'd set a bunch of mouse traps around the house. During your renos, you'll probably find them somewhere.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21692 posts
158900 upvotes
GTA
I know that you don't always have to have food around/mess in the house to get mice (as in this case - just seeking shelter) but usually, to survive, don't they then get into whatever they can find in the kitchen? No food around, so it died. I know they also survive on seeds and vegetation from outside, but being a new development, I would imagine there isn't much in the way of food sources in the immediate area.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5768 posts
2931 upvotes
Thornhill
Tough crowd!

Every house will have a mouse or a few get inside during the lifetime of the house no matter how secure it is and especially if there is direct garage or basement access.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1242 posts
868 upvotes
If this is a new build then it is possible that the construction disturbed their field home. So it/they moved in.

Do not get upset. You can deal with this. To check just put out a few traps set with peanut butter. Place them along the wall as that is the normal route.
You will soon learn what you are up against. Droppings are also good evidence.

I keep a set trap in the basement in a place safe from children and animals as an indicator of a potential problem.
Good Luck
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9162 posts
4693 upvotes
Paris
My parents had one in their basement last year this time. It happens. We think we found the hole but never sure. They live near a forest. This is the time of year for mice. Just set some traps and move on with your life.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5752 posts
5908 upvotes
Toronto
Burn it to the ground and start over! :twisted:
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2388 posts
601 upvotes
Ontario
As a previous poster stated it could be spirits in the house. If the house is haunted the ghost/poltergeist may be angry that you intend to renovate the house and killed the mouse leaving it in a spot you would find. Mice just don't die for no reason under a sink. Look for lots of dead flies as another sign. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5124 posts
511 upvotes
Go to walmart buy some of those wooden victor mouse traps the one with the yellow cheese paddle. It's about $2.50 for 4. Put a little peanut butter and set them up. If there any mice they'll get snapped. But it's possible it came in somehow, couldn't find food/water and got trapped under the sink and just died. I killed a mouse last year in my kitchen and there hasn't been anymore.
Sep 11, 2015
199 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
What did you end up doing Op? I just moved in and I think I have mice.
Jan 19, 2014
38 posts
8 upvotes
Canada
I'm not op but that "you never have one mouse" line is bull. I live rurally in a really old house and almost every year in October (live on the prairies) I catch one mouse in my house. I have tried sealing it up but it's impossible. House has been in my family for 35 years and never been infested but every fall I put down a couple traps with peanut butter. NBD. To clean poop, spray with cleaner and swipe up with paper towel, it's just breathing in the poo dust that can be bad.
Banned
Aug 28, 2017
301 posts
366 upvotes
You gotta sell it and move...only option.

At least you didn't see a spider though, that requires burning the house down.