• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2018 5:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3172 posts
180 upvotes
East York

Mouse pad suggestions?

I'm looking for a "hard" mouse pad for my Apple Magic Mouse and my Logitech MX Master mouse

I don't want one made with cloth one.... I'm trying to find one that won't get dirty easily.... It seems like no matter how clean I keep my current desk my current cloth mouse pad gets dirty or something....the black has been discoloured and I don't know why?

Been looking at this one

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0036WTBFY/_en ... VS76&psc=1

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Doing research and could use some input!
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3172 posts
180 upvotes
East York
Not really what I’m looking for I think? Seems to Have s soft surface?
Sr. Member
Jul 1, 2009
711 posts
133 upvotes
Drew87 wrote: It seems like no matter how clean I keep my current desk my current cloth mouse pad gets dirty or something....the black has been discoloured and I don't know why?
Are you sure it hasn't been worn out? The general idea of a mouse pad is to take the damage that would otherwise be done to your desk. Mouse pads, whether cloth or hard, won't last forever.
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
891 posts
487 upvotes
London, ON
I need a mouse pad as well,

I’m tempted to buy a cheap one at the dollar tree/dollarama

Probably worthwhile to spend 10 bucksish on something decent eh?
Public Mobile $38 month
5GB Data
Unlimited international texting
Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3172 posts
180 upvotes
East York
ghost1001 wrote: Are you sure it hasn't been worn out? The general idea of a mouse pad is to take the damage that would otherwise be done to your desk. Mouse pads, whether cloth or hard, won't last forever.
If it’s worn out then it wore out quickly. I haven’t had it for even a year lol. Do hard mouse pads wear out?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
Drew87 wrote: Interesting! Thanks, what material is it made out of? Is it plastic?
The bottom is rubber and the top is textured hard plastic.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3172 posts
180 upvotes
East York
SickBeast wrote: The bottom is rubber and the top is textured hard plastic.
awesome! thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3172 posts
180 upvotes
East York
ghost1001 wrote: Example of worn out mouse pad: http://cdn.overclock.net/6/64/600x450px ... 92QcK.jpeg
Yeah - any surface that you rub over and over again will eventually wear out. My guess is that it'll last longer.
hmm, yeah, then it might be worn out now that you've pointed it out....

so I guess I'm looking for a mouse pad that won't wear out?

Will plastic ones wear out? are their metal ones? or....glass?
Member
Aug 19, 2002
433 posts
177 upvotes
Several years back I went on a personal quest to find the best gaming mouse surface, and tested many different mouse pads, including all the high-end gaming surfaces at the time (metal, 3D honeycomb, etc.) and even some custom surfaces (polished and unpolished cutting boards, etc.).

I personally found the steelseries cloth pads the best, but in general all the cloth pads worked better than any of the hard ones in actual daily use.

Why? Because they continue to track well even when dirty.

Hard mouse pads stop tracking well when there is any foreign matter on them -- ANY dust or cat hair will quickly get picked up in the mouse sensor cavity and interfere with tracking.

In addition, grime and skin oil will interfere with the smoothness very quickly, especially with textured hard pads.

I found all the hard mouse pads were inconsistent for these reasons.

Cloth mouse pads just keep working even with some dust and hair on them, because the dust and hair remain on the pad instead of sliding around with the mouse, blocking the sensor.
Sr. Member
Oct 5, 2005
619 posts
190 upvotes
Writer wrote: Several years back I went on a personal quest to find the best gaming mouse surface, and tested many different mouse pads, including all the high-end gaming surfaces at the time (metal, 3D honeycomb, etc.) and even some custom surfaces (polished and unpolished cutting boards, etc.).

I personally found the steelseries cloth pads the best, but in general all the cloth pads worked better than any of the hard ones in actual daily use.

Why? Because they continue to track well even when dirty.

Hard mouse pads stop tracking well when there is any foreign matter on them -- ANY dust or cat hair will quickly get picked up in the mouse sensor cavity and interfere with tracking.

In addition, grime and skin oil will interfere with the smoothness very quickly, especially with textured hard pads.

I found all the hard mouse pads were inconsistent for these reasons.

Cloth mouse pads just keep working even with some dust and hair on them, because the dust and hair remain on the pad instead of sliding around with the mouse, blocking the sensor.
This guy mouses.
yo!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3172 posts
180 upvotes
East York
A new requirement for me is also I need one that's heavy enough that it doesn't slide out of position, or move on my desk.

Top