• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2021 4:21 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
122 posts
32 upvotes

Move out notice

I have a tenant that was on month to month rent, and only 2 weeks ago gave notice to move out by end of this month. I know they should be filling out a end of tendency form and give the notice 60 days, but tenant won't sign it. Is this something I can enforce? what are things I can do as a landlady?
2 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12077 posts
8368 upvotes
Edmonton
maxineli wrote: I have a tenant that was on month to month rent, and only 2 weeks ago gave notice to move out by end of this month. I know they should be filling out a end of tendency form and give the notice 60 days, but tenant won't sign it. Is this something I can enforce? what are things I can do as a landlady?
You'll want to start by giving a location. And then contact the local Landlord Tenant office in your area to find out what your next steps are.

If you are in Ontario, you may have to take the tenant to small claims court to recoup your lost rent. You should have a cheque for the "last month's rent" which should cover February, so you'd need to file a claim to cover March. Then you'd have the hassles of collecting, assuming you win. Most landlords, I believe, would probably not bother filing a small claims court case against a tenant in situations like this, and would simply do what they can to rent out the unit ASAP.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1244 posts
244 upvotes
If you are in Ontario they need to give 60 days, and if they do not you could pursue them via the LTB and then enforce the judgement through Superior Court. If you're in another province check your local landlord tenant office.

But....... I'm sort of doubtful it will be worth your effort. If the tenant was long-term, you are probably looking at being able to capture higher rents, so in some ways it could be a good thing for you potentially.