Careers

Moved to a new position, but no work to do.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2016 11:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 22, 2016
37 posts
4 upvotes

Moved to a new position, but no work to do.

Hi,

Just like I said on the post, I moved to a new position recently. It has been about a month. But from the first time I started until now, it seems to be nothing to do.
It feels like I don't need to be here, and even frustrting sometimes.
So I am starting to think about plan B.

Here's some facts:
1. This position never existed in company before. I am in newly created position so the parameter of job duties are not clearly defined.

2. My boss told me this is first time in about 10 years that he has so much down times too. And he told me that don't feel frustrated because there is not much to do.

3. I had the access issue for a about first 2 weeks.

4. The department is going through a massive amount of staff change due to various unpleasant reason.

What would you do?
Would you start look for the other job?
Or would you stick to this position?
Any suggestions or critiques would be appreciated.

Thanks!
29 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2009
1064 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
if you like doing nothing then stick to it.
if you really want to do some work then see if there is some thing you can change/improve existing issues etc.

or if you feel really bored then look for other work.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1818 posts
256 upvotes
Markham
Stick with it, and get to know the whole operation, and how your position fits into the rhealm of things.
What I do during slow periods is polish up on my Microsoft access, SQL, and excel skills.
Use the tutorials or google things you want to learn that will improve yourself as an employee one way or another.
That sir, is the sign if a good employee.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12361 posts
146232 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

If you have nothing to do, find something to do. There is always something to do. Sort your files, clean up your desk, etc...

Ju Leon...
[OP]
Apr 22, 2016
37 posts
4 upvotes
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

If you have nothing to do, find something to do. There is always something to do. Sort your files, clean up your desk, etc...

Ju Leon...
I've done that for last 2 weeks. You can't sort your files and clean up your desk for 8 hours a day for 2 weeks.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13849 posts
1337 upvotes
Ask to work from home.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12361 posts
146232 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Oh, you wouldn't believe what I did. I organized the computer wires, clean up, dust out, changes out papers in the book, replace things that need to be replace. By the time I'm done, it's all looking great.

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8072 posts
1747 upvotes
That was me last may till july, then I asked to take pat leave. I even applied to other jobs. Then when I came back, things started to pick up. Then in January, another department wanted to hire me (from when I applied to jobs in July; did the whole interview process). I jumped ship. The original position was starting to get interesting, but the new job provided more pay, better commute. At the end, if you dont feel happy, do something about it.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4339 posts
1824 upvotes
It's kind of a test.
:razz:

Your first task is to prepare a brief proposal of what the job duties are supposed to be. Try to define them yourself. Explain why the role is required... And what value they are supposed to get from having you around.

Then, schedule 20 mins to chat with the boss. "Hey Tony, in my mind, this job should go this way or the other way, etc...."

Show some initiative!
May 30, 2016
9 posts
Kitcherner, Ontario
Understandably, you left out the main details, so I'll do what I can here. My suggestion is to treat it as if it were your company. Try to seek out more information about the business and see what you can learn about it (especially if it's a new position). Learn all you can about the position. How do other people do it, what programs do they use? You could research or watch tutorials those programs in the meantime so if/when things pick up you're on the ready.

Though if it seems like the company is falling apart and what I listed isn't an option, maybe you're not in as an ideal position as one would imagine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5822 posts
1146 upvotes
Toronto
Possibly there is a chance you can take initiatives a little looser than your previous jobs in your new position and perhaps room for innovation.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24798 posts
1911 upvotes
Markham, ON
i would start to look for another job...if there is a second round of cuts...your position will likely disappear.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2016
37 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for the different thoughts.
So I am supposed to be a backup for the other person in the department so he would need to train me to do portion of his stuff. But he is going through some difficult family things, so he is not around often. When he is here, he is just too busy picking up the stuff that he need to do, so he does not have time to train me.
And my boss knows I don't have much to do...so he told me this morning that three of us would need to sit down and have some discussion about dividing the workload and training.
But I still don't know how I'll be doing. Part of the reason that I am so restless is because I was working alone in a position where requires at least 2 people.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6466 posts
988 upvotes
Start looking for a new job,
Once that person comes back in business you will no longer be needed as a backup. Either that or that person is smart enough to know that after you are trained he will be out the door you will never be trained properly. To have 3 resources doing nothing I don't think this will last, the company is onto something. I sense changes coming up and one will be kept to do everything. Are the managers in meetings all day?
[OP]
Apr 22, 2016
37 posts
4 upvotes
sf1 wrote: Start looking for a new job,
Once that person comes back in business you will no longer be needed as a backup. Either that or that person is smart enough to know that after you are trained he will be out the door you will never be trained properly. To have 3 resources doing nothing I don't think this will last, the company is onto something. I sense downsizing coming up and one will be kept to do everything. Are the managers in meeting all day?
Well the thing is that he has been pulling into different things (e.g. new program integration etc) other than his regular duties so he would need a backup for sure, even if he comes back into role or not. In fact, he was the one who were kept to do everything and just before I come here. He was bitter about the amount of work he needed to dealt with.

And managers are not in meeting all day. They are doing their regular stuff. I can't really expose detail here but everyone here knows what is going on, the company is not downsizing for sure.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2290 posts
1435 upvotes
I work non-stop all day everyday outside of my breaks.
The day passes by quickly but it can be quite draining by the end of the week.

I would say enjoy it while it lasts.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
OldMarriedGuy wrote: I work non-stop all day everyday outside of my breaks.
The day passes by quickly but it can be quite draining by the end of the week.

I would say enjoy it while it lasts.
agree
OP, you are on probation. Some probations last 3 months and some last 6 months.
Why can't you take this time to learn EVERYTHING about the new company? And the company's competitors? And who works in your department - what are their strengths and what can they do to promote your learning and your career aspirations? Who works in the other departments? What are their strengths and how can you use this to benefit your career aspirations? Have you asked to go on an orientation in the other parts of the company? Have you taken a road trip to see what your competitors do? Is there a way to get more money into your company? Can you search for new opportunities that will boost your company's popularity/stock value?

C'mon OP!
Smarten up!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

Oh, you wouldn't believe what I did. I organized the computer wires, clean up, dust out, changes out papers in the book, replace things that need to be replace. By the time I'm done, it's all looking great.

Ju Leon...
What does Ju Leon mean? Is fhat your name?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao