[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1152 posts
512 upvotes
North of Toronto

Moving 12ft Cherry Tree

Hey Yall,

I need to get rid of a 12ft cherry tree in my backyard. The backyard needs to be regraded, resodded and completely redone. It doesn't have a future in my backyard.

I would prefer not to just cut it down, I would rather save it if possible by relocating it. It's still immature and doesn't provide good cherries yet but it should in the next few years.

Has anyone had any experience having someone take it away? Was it a company? A sale on kijii? I don't mind a little hassle just to save it.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9970 posts
4251 upvotes
Vaughan
I know it will be missed but:
- who wants a 12 foot cherry tree? It is not like oak tree, worth to save.
- how much hassle/money from take it up then replanted? People just buy and plant new one, wait for few years.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1043 upvotes
Contact a landscaper or your local mom & pop garden centre and see if they have a use for it... They may include it in one of their projects. They often include more mature trees when landscaping from zero and would know if it's possible to relocate it at all.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1152 posts
512 upvotes
North of Toronto
junkmail2002 wrote: Contact a landscaper or your local mom & pop garden centre and see if they have a use for it... They may include it in one of their projects. They often include more mature trees when landscaping from zero and would know if it's possible to relocate it at all.
Thanks!

Contacted a few landscapers and got a few pm’s on here. Plenty of interested people!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1152 posts
512 upvotes
North of Toronto
teoconca wrote: I know it will be missed but:
- who wants a 12 foot cherry tree? It is not like oak tree, worth to save.
- how much hassle/money from take it up then replanted? People just buy and plant new one, wait for few years.

Good luck.
Depends on how long you are willing to wait for the tree to mature. This tree has many years on it.

Got plenty of interest
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1673 posts
2038 upvotes
Way too hot to move now, probably won't live, better to do it in the Winter or just after Winter
<signature length too long>
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1733 upvotes
GTA
GhostBusters wrote: Depends on how long you are willing to wait for the tree to mature. This tree has many years on it.

Got plenty of interest
Contact eagle ridge tree movers, I've dealt with them before, seem pretty good: https://eagleridgetreemovers.com/home/tree-moving/

Steven's large tree sales also probably has the ability to use it.

Your main issue is its in a backyard, if you can't get a truck/spade in there, then its going to be very labour intensive to move. To the point of where it might be cheaper to just buy a new tree and get it delivered. Also, without the big spade, the tree is much more likely to die due to transport and being disturbed.

Anyways, give those guys a few calls, or leave it up to the person who wants the tree to deal with. Sadly, the economics of this if the backyard isn't accessible, aren't great.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7817 posts
6280 upvotes
Ottawa
superscoots wrote: Way too hot to move now, probably won't live, better to do it in the Winter or just after Winter
Yeah, if it's moved now, it likely won't survive. Another month, it has a way better chance - hopefully, the OP is just at the planning stage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1152 posts
512 upvotes
North of Toronto
CaptSmethwick wrote: Yeah, if it's moved now, it likely won't survive. Another month, it has a way better chance - hopefully, the OP is just at the planning stage.
Yeah, not in a rush to move it.

A few companies said early spring would be best.

Thanks everyone!