Travel

Moving to BC - recommendations on shipping 16 ft container from Ontario to BC.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2021 11:34 pm
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
168 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville

Moving to BC - recommendations on shipping 16 ft container from Ontario to BC.

My family and I (3 folks) are planning on moving to Victoria, Vancouver Island, BC sometime next year (very likely April to May).

We will sell all our big stuff - furniture etc. We will take Kitchen utensils/dishes/cutlery etc, clothes, gym equipment (weights, treadmill), 2 road bikes and maybe one TV (70 inch).

After doing some research, it appears that the "less" expensive solution to hiring a moving company ($10K at least) is to rent a container from a company such as https://pupscontainers.com/en . They drop off a 16 ft container at your home. You can then pack your stuff in it and then they come back and pick it up and ship it to your destination (in my case Victoria, BC) and then drop it off at your new place or store it at their location (if you don't have a place by the time the container gets there).

So the rental of the container for a 4 week period as an example plus the shipping to BC is a whopping $6.5K. Not much less than hiring a moving company to move all of your crap (4 bedroom house and all the furniture etc).

Are there any other options that are cheaper than this?

We'll be driving (taking the one car we have) across Canada on the TransCanada highway and doing a lot of sightseeing along the way - so we will only have our clothes etc in the car.

Towing a trailer is out of the question as I have absolutely zero interest in doing that on a sightseeing trip that will take at least a week.  Too much hassle.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4474 posts
443 upvotes
I've been sort of looking into this myself, but from what I've seen renting a truck (uhaul) is the cheapest option.
I've seen they do offer a container on their website, but I've not really looked into it, but they do offer it.

I think what's driving up the price for you is that it's a month. I plan on taking most of my stuff with me in a smaller 10ft trailer and doing the trip over 10-12 days but to Vancouver.
Maybe try cutting off a few days and see if it makes a difference?

In my case though, I'll have to make a 2nd trip back out west for my vehicle, but am hoping the borders will be open and will cut through the US for most of the trip.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
168 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
IceBlueShoes wrote: I've been sort of looking into this myself, but from what I've seen renting a truck (uhaul) is the cheapest option.
I've seen they do offer a container on their website, but I've not really looked into it, but they do offer it.

I think what's driving up the price for you is that it's a month. I plan on taking most of my stuff with me in a smaller 10ft trailer and doing the trip over 10-12 days but to Vancouver.
Maybe try cutting off a few days and see if it makes a difference?

In my case though, I'll have to make a 2nd trip back out west for my vehicle, but am hoping the borders will be open and will cut through the US for most of the trip.
The 4 week rental is actually only $209+tax. See quote below.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210609-192656.png
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6401 posts
2881 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Check around. Movers are $$$$ ($10k sounds cheap). Could try BigSteelBox among others.

Getting whatever you want to Vancouver Island has the added expense of one more transfer (or at least an expensive transfer of railhead or whatever to truck to ferry to Vancouver Island and return to railhead.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4474 posts
443 upvotes
hameed wrote: The 4 week rental is actually only $209+tax. See quote below.
Ouch. That transport hurts.
The U-haul/u-box option might be something to consider.

What's wild is that the price Victoria vs. Vancouver is double! About an extra $4k. (i put in 4 boxes but maybe you'll need less) For that price, it's MUCH cheaper to store it in a locker in Vancouver, rent a truck/ cargo van (depending on how much you have) and take care of the last bit yourself.
Even if there was surcharge for leaving the rental on Van Isle, there's no way it'll be close.

I'd imagine it might even be less if you rented a travel trailer for the last bit (from Vancouver to Victoria) and even more so if you returned the trailer in Vancouver.
At that point it becomes a time vs. money decision. Sounds like a pain, but to save $2-3k, I think is worth it.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14215 posts
8308 upvotes
Toronto
a certain poster here will suggest towing the storage container with his Tesla Model 3....maybe he's for hire?

Face With Tears Of Joy

Good luck!
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
168 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
IceBlueShoes wrote: Ouch. That transport hurts.

What's wild is that the price Victoria vs. Vancouver is double! About an extra $4k. (i put in 4 boxes but maybe you'll need less) For that price, it's MUCH cheaper to store it in a locker in Vancouver, rent a truck/ cargo van (depending on how much you have) and take care of the last bit yourself.
Even if there was surcharge for leaving the rental on Van Isle, there's no way it'll be close.

I'd imagine it might even be less if you rented a travel trailer for the last bit (from Vancouver to Victoria) and even more so if you returned the trailer in Vancouver.
At that point it becomes a time vs. money decision. Sounds like a pain, but to save $2-3k, I think is worth it.
Great suggestions, I'll check that now!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1718 posts
2290 upvotes
Just sell everything except maybe your clothes and other items that can't be replaced. Cutlery and other items aren't worth the cost to ship them.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
168 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
IceBlueShoes wrote: Ouch. That transport hurts.

So the cost to ship to Vancouver instead of Nanaimo is $4.2k vs $6K. Renting a uhaul to pick up my stuff probably won't be more than $500 to $1K, however I won't have the convenience of having a container on my driveway to unload at a slower pace and I won't have to deal with any logistics of moving my stuff from Vancouver, across the ferry etc to my home.

I'm now starting to think that $6.5K plus tax for a move such as this is not so bad after all......
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2189 posts
869 upvotes
Airport Rd & Que…
Are you moving for a new job? If so, don't forget moving expenses are tax deductible so the net cost isn't quite as bad.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
168 posts
15 upvotes
Oakville
TripleQ wrote: Are you moving for a new job? If so, don't forget moving expenses are tax deductible so the net cost isn't quite as bad.
Good point, but no, not moving for a job. I will be in-between jobs when I move as in I won't have a job by either in Ontario or BC when I move in April/May 2022
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6401 posts
2881 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just be aware BC Ferries charges commercial rates for U-Haul (and other logo'd rental vehicles). That could increase ferry costs if you're gong to be doing repetitive trips. Not sure how they'd charge for a rental trailer.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China