Students

Moving to BC for a teaching career?

[OP]
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
16 posts
5 upvotes

Moving to BC for a teaching career?

It looks like BC is desperate for teachers. Is it worth moving to BC for a teacher career ? I am from Toronto with a teaching certificate
7 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
10285 posts
8364 upvotes
It’s desperate cause real estate is expensive ... where in bc would you move?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2174 posts
986 upvotes
Victoria
Teacher wages are lower in BC, so it really depends on what you value.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3331 posts
1156 upvotes
Woodbridge
OP banned. Duplicate account? Anyway - https://www.bcteacherregulation.ca/Teac ... ideBC.aspx that's information for qualified out-of-province teachers applying for certification in BC. They state that "If you hold a current, valid, unrestricted teaching certificate from another Canadian province or territory, you will likely qualify for a Professional Certificate under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement." So aside from the time and effort to get all of your documents in order - transcripts, work records, performance appraisals etc. it seems like you should be able to be qualified in BC. As for whether or not it's worth the move, that depends entirely on where in BC you want to move to. If you're thinking Vancouver then it's almost definitely a no.
Feb 2, 2007
59 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
I have just done this so I can comment a bit.

1. Annual salaries are quite a bit lower (to the tune of $8-10k at the top end) but daily rates for supply teaching are much higher (than TDSB.)

2. Buying a place in BC is prohibitively expensive. Renting, however, can in fact be cheaper than Toronto (yes, even in downtown Vancouver.)

3. Many services are cheaper (I.e. transit, public pools, gyms) but you are required to pay for MSP, the BC equivalent of OHIP. It’s not much, with basic coverage for $30 or so/month and employer plans with full benefits for about $70 (at Vancouver School Board at least.)

4. Teaching itself is a lot more autonomous due to the pretty open ended curriculum. Some schools and districts don’t even have report cards in elementary schools.

5. Work is plentiful but you will need to apply to individual school boards. Vancouver did not amalgamate like Toronto so lots of smaller boards.

6. The process of getting your teaching certificate validated is probably the most painful part of the whole process. It will take at least 3-4 months, more if you have transcripts etc to order from overseas (they only accept paper mail, nothing electronic.)

7. Boards and schools are often recruiting in Ontario so try and go to one of their information sessions (makeafuture.ca). You may be eligible for a relocation allowance depending on the school board and position you accept.

I think that’s it. I am happy to help in case you need anything else. Just PM.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1457 posts
919 upvotes
Vancouver
MSP Premiums ending in 2020 so you won't need to worry about that if you plan on staying here past 2020.

If you're looking to own a home, prepare to fork up a truckload of cash as real estate is one of the highest here in the world.

If you drive, you better practice defensive driving as we have pretty clueless drivers here, especially in Richmond and Surrey. Also, gas prices are the highest in Canada.

Transit by far is probably the best all across Canada, possibly North America although us Vancouver folks love to complain about how crappy it is on a constant basis.

I believe there is a shortage of teachers and ECE educators in BC but the pay I've heard is not the greatest. Also depends on which level of education you are planning on teaching. Elementary? Middle school? High school? Post-secondary? Need more context.