Automotive

Moving car after sitting for over 6 months - what should I do?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2022 7:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1776 posts
664 upvotes
ON

Moving car after sitting for over 6 months - what should I do?

Have a 2016 Accord that hasn't moved for probably 7 months - which I realize isn't that great, but it wasn't intended to be, so is what it is.

The gas was last filled from empty almost 9 months ago, and around 2/3 tank now. I did have the forethought to put a battery maintainer on around every 3 weeks.

I need to move it... What (if anything) should I be doing before starting? Should I put something in the fuel and what would be good? Anything else?

I'll probably run it long enough to warm things up but can't really take it for a drive.
8 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3110 posts
2064 upvotes
ontario
it'll be fine, start it up and move it. i'd take it around the block if possible and get the rust off the brakes.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23584 posts
5773 upvotes
Toronto
esoxhntr wrote: it'll be fine, start it up and move it. i'd take it around the block if possible and get the rust off the brakes.
+2 - should start and run ok.......driving around the block is good

I realize you mentioned you can't really take it for a drive but ideally at some point if you can hop onto the highway to get the speed up and drive for a good while - that'll do the car some good

Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19708 posts
20194 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If it was parked indoors there's literally nothing to do except to check tire pressures, start it and drive it. Letting a car idle is the absolute worst thing to do.

Tires may have flat spots and cause droning for a bit, but will work itself out after a few kilometres.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1776 posts
664 upvotes
ON
Yes it was parked inside fortunately. I do think I'll take it down the local street, but there's a couple issues that I shouldn't be taking it to a highway - but yes that would be more ideal.

My main concern has been the stale gas - both if there was something to "recover" it, and if I should be adding something in case it sits longer (it might be closer to spring at this point), so that the treated gas would run through the system.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19708 posts
20194 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sprdave wrote: Yes it was parked inside fortunately. I do think I'll take it down the local street, but there's a couple issues that I shouldn't be taking it to a highway - but yes that would be more ideal.

My main concern has been the stale gas - both if there was something to "recover" it, and if I should be adding something in case it sits longer (it might be closer to spring at this point), so that the treated gas would run through the system.
6 month old fuel is fine. One of my cars is stored annually for 6 months with a full tank of fuel, no stabilizer used and starts up on the first crank every year.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
sprdave wrote: Yes it was parked inside fortunately. I do think I'll take it down the local street, but there's a couple issues that I shouldn't be taking it to a highway - but yes that would be more ideal.

DO NOT take it on the road if it is not insured. Not worth the pain on that one. Search RFD for threads on guys just "driving it around the block" and getting in accident or busted by cops.
It was inside, so everything should be ok. Personally I would put some fuel stabilizer in there since you're saying it's going to sit again.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6868 posts
2666 upvotes
BC
I would check the oil level and unless it was at Max I would pour in about 1/4L of fresh oil.

That would help protect the valve gear and rings on the cold start. (After sitting for over 6 mo. all the oil would have drained down into the crankcase.)

Definitely drive it rather than idle it up to normal operating temp.
May 3, 2003
637 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
If it's going to continue to sit, I'd fill the fuel tank entirely to reduce condensation.