Home & Garden

Moving company that allows storage for a week?

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2021 10:59 pm
[OP]
Oct 13, 2008
474 posts
103 upvotes

Moving company that allows storage for a week?

Hi there,

We recently purchased a home which has a closing date about 1 week after closing of our current house. Is there a reputable moving company that also store your belongings (for about a week) and then move to a new place? This will be a Toronto to Oakville move.

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17797 posts
15248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
zetx wrote: Hi there,

We recently purchased a home which has a closing date about 1 week after closing of our current house. Is there a reputable moving company that also store your belongings (for about a week) and then move to a new place? This will be a Toronto to Oakville move.

Thanks
They definitely exist ... more now than ever

We did this in the past when we had relocation moves in and out of the National Capital Region

Look to the bigger well known Moving Cos with history

Or one of the Cos that now use “pods”

For us ... in & out of Ottawa it was Boyd’s Moving (since 1947 )
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2179 posts
685 upvotes
Montreal
Another option, depending on the amount of stuff you're moving would be to rent a truck for a full week and just leave your stuff in there.
I know someone that did that and if you're not in the prime moving season and trucks are available it's not that expensive.
May 31, 2017
328 posts
87 upvotes
We had AMJ Campbell do that for us.

They came, packed up the whole house and we were supposed to do the move the following day. But that evening poo hit the fan, and our deal for the new place fell through, and they were able to store it for us on an open ended basis, while we looked for another place. (Obviously, they charge for it)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19882 posts
6056 upvotes
Toronto
zetx wrote: We recently purchased a home which has a closing date about 1 week after closing of our current house. Is there a reputable moving company that also store your belongings (for about a week) and then move to a new place? This will be a Toronto to Oakville move.
Most of them do. You just have to pay up for it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3092 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
All the above points. Call around. If the stuff can be stored in containers, it's quicker to move off an back on the truck otherwise you'll be paying for it to be unloaded and reloaded piecemeal, or rental for the truck (but then you have to pay storage). For charging, it's usually time for the move and weight for storage. A mid-month move might be cheaper.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
Check out Armstrong Moving. No experience with them, but I noticed their facility off the highway recently, and they look equipped to do what you're asking.