Food & Drink

moving to Durham Region... where to eat?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 7:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6505 posts
2065 upvotes
GTA
raymondly wrote: https://www.butchies.ca/

Their burgers and hot nashville chicken sandwich are amazing.
Agree, Butchies is very good....good selection of craft beers on tap also.

My wife likes the veggie burger at Baldwin Street Burger in Brooklin, its across street fro Corrados which has been mentioned here a few times.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2638 posts
1536 upvotes
Dum258 wrote: There was no agenda. As I am Muslim, my eating restrictions are tailored to halal food. Regardless, both the sushi places & donut place aren't halal establishments. I just recommended good food.

Plus, wouldn't it make sense for me to secretly suggest halal-only locations if that was my hidden agenda?
I have zero issue with you recommending halal places. I am not muslim but the halal food that I have eaten in the past has been tasty and very fresh. also, places that serve it are super clean because there is a higher standard for the food.
Got that Zoomer account!
Aug 12, 2012
845 posts
411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
KB is one of my favourite restaurants: http://www.kbfood.com/
Corrado's is great, especially if you have kids.
Lake Grill is solid casual dining.

I haven't been yet, but I've heard good things about Tuscan Wolf Pizzeria.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1345 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
Btw they just open a Chatime North of Ajax.

I am only wishing for a Congee Queen to be open around the area.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
Brian71 wrote: Here's 2 more in Pickering
Thai Orchid for Thai food
Milo's Greek Restaurant
They're both in the same plaza on Kingston Rd. by Valley Farm
Gotta disagree bigtime on Milos.

That used to be a Friendly Greek, and a really bad one at that (the food was worse than at any other FG location), and when the FG chain died, these guys changed the name but to this day still serve the same awful food. Avoid.

Thai Orchid never impressed me either. They used to sell a lot of Groupons... that's always a clue that a place sucks or is failing (or both).
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2643 posts
526 upvotes
Whitby
Zamboni wrote: Agree, Butchies is very good....good selection of craft beers on tap also.

My wife likes the veggie burger at Baldwin Street Burger in Brooklin, its across street fro Corrados which has been mentioned here a few times.
Baldwin Street Burger is for sale if you want to make your wife happy all the time :-)
https://www.royallepage.ca/en/property/ ... se4504568/
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I have zero issue with you recommending halal places.
But it's a bigtime issue for Sikhs, which we do have here in Durham:

http://thelangarhall.com/general/halaltaboo/
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes

Where can I find non-halal chicken besides Chick-Fil-A?
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 9th, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3939 posts
1155 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I heard theres and Arby's restaurant in Durham, If your craving roast beef, check out Arby's otherwise Burlington is the next location, no?
Hi
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: I heard theres and Arby's restaurant in Durham, If your craving roast beef, check out Arby's otherwise Burlington is the next location, no?
Only 1 Arby's left in Durham Region, and it's in Oshawa.
The ones in Pickering (in the mall) and Ajax (Harwood/Kingston) closed years ago. Don't know what took its place at Pickering Town Centre; the Ajax spot is now a Microwave Burger King.
The next ones out past Oshawa are in Port Hope and Peterborough which are outside Durham Region.
Sep 4, 2007
615 posts
187 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Gotta disagree bigtime on Milos.

That used to be a Friendly Greek, and a really bad one at that (the food was worse than at any other FG location), and when the FG chain died, these guys changed the name but to this day still serve the same awful food. Avoid.

Thai Orchid never impressed me either. They used to sell a lot of Groupons... that's always a clue that a place sucks or is failing (or both).
I second the thumbs down on Milos. Stopped going years ago when we were served frozen veggies heated from the microwave. The kitchen staff was apparently too busy standing around chatting to properly prepare food for our table and one other table.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
uber_uter wrote: I second the thumbs down on Milos. Stopped going years ago when we were served frozen veggies heated from the microwave. The kitchen staff was apparently too busy standing around chatting to properly prepare food for our table and one other table.
I honestly don't know what keeps Milos alive. It's never busy! They must do a lot of takeout or catering.
What's with Pickering and awful Greek food? Did you ever try Zeus Greek Grill Gods, formerly Kopper Kitchen? (there's a Starbucks in that space now)
You know it's bad when your best choice is Mr. Greek Express....
Aug 12, 2012
845 posts
411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
raymondly wrote: https://www.butchies.ca/

Their burgers and hot nashville chicken sandwich are amazing.
Had Butchie's for the first time over the weekend and it was awesome. Will definitely be going back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2638 posts
1536 upvotes
Frank311 wrote: Had Butchie's for the first time over the weekend and it was awesome. Will definitely be going back.
this is where I want to go first. do you think it will be ok there on a weekend with a stroller?
Got that Zoomer account!
Aug 12, 2012
845 posts
411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
riseagainstthemachine wrote: this is where I want to go first. do you think it will be ok there on a weekend with a stroller?
Yep, there's plenty of tables inside and they have a big patio with picnic tables under some trees. We were there on Saturday for an early dinner around 4:30 and it wasn't too busy. Not sure if you would need reservations for peak hours.