Food & Drink

moving to Durham Region... where to eat?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 7:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2635 posts
1534 upvotes
Frank311 wrote: Yep, there's plenty of tables inside and they have a big patio with picnic tables under some trees. We were there on Saturday for an early dinner around 4:30 and it wasn't too busy. Not sure if you would need reservations for peak hours.
great. what did you have? please give me a review. I saw this place on food network and have been waiting to get out there. their pies look good too
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2643 posts
524 upvotes
Whitby
At Butchies I had the peanut butter bacon burger with hot pepper. 2 sides - hushpuppies (were fantastic) and fries (also good).
The burger was a special of the day so not sure if it there all the time.
Images
  • 48901031_10155753544822595_2800944350647812096_n.jpg
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Aug 12, 2012
845 posts
411 upvotes
Richmond Hill
riseagainstthemachine wrote: great. what did you have? please give me a review. I saw this place on food network and have been waiting to get out there. their pies look good too
I had the Nashville hot chicken sandwich with mac n cheese and hush puppies. My wife had the same sandwich with fries and the watermelon salad. Everything was great. I had my eye on a slice of the pecan pie, but was too full after dinner. Next time I'll take one down. Definitely going back.
Sep 30, 2008
946 posts
623 upvotes
Pickering
Really great thread, as someone who has lived in Pickering for about 7 years now, there are many recommendations here that I hadn't known about or wouldn't have tried on my own.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4363 posts
3899 upvotes
For those who haven't been out this way in awhile, Butchies occupies the former "Shake Rabble and Roll" diner building.

Also a heads-up, Big Boy's Burgers in Pickering (Kingston/Whites) is gone. Retro Burger moved into that space. Not that I go to either given we have Five Guys in Ajax near Costco.
Big Boy's fans still have the Whitby location.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1432 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
Ajax
Pho Metro - viet and pho
Churasco - portuguese steak/chicken
Estacion - Filipino
Retro burger - Burgers/Poutine
Pizza Pinos - Pizza

I havent found a good fish and chips restaurant yet
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4363 posts
3899 upvotes
DimsumDeals wrote: I havent found a good fish and chips restaurant yet
Jasper's in Pickering is quite good, if you want something close to the authentic British experience. Same plaza as that awful MTY Works Burgers garbage.

Totally not a fan of the Halibut House chain which seems to be blanketing the area.
(edited to add) This explains how/why they came out of nowhere and are expanding like crazy: https://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/m_pitches/halibut-house
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Aug 23rd, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Sep 4, 2007
615 posts
187 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I honestly don't know what keeps Milos alive. It's never busy! They must do a lot of takeout or catering.
What's with Pickering and awful Greek food? Did you ever try Zeus Greek Grill Gods, formerly Kopper Kitchen? (there's a Starbucks in that space now)
You know it's bad when your best choice is Mr. Greek Express....
Never got a chance to try Zeus. Did take out once at Mr Greek when it first opened. Everything was burnt.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4363 posts
3899 upvotes
uber_uter wrote: Never got a chance to try Zeus. Did take out once at Mr Greek when it first opened. Everything was burnt.
I'd still take Mr. Greek Express over Milos... Milos food tastes awful even if it isn't over/undercooked....
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4363 posts
3899 upvotes
Thanks to the recommendations in this thread, finally tried Butchies last week. Thank you! The chicken wings and the country fried steak were awesome!

Love how she uses bacon to make the white gravy, and also offers pork products! Can't wait to return and try the BBQ pork shoulder... who needs Rotary Ripoff Ribfest?

Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2643 posts
524 upvotes
Whitby
riseagainstthemachine wrote: where can I get some decent indian food?
https://signatureindiancuisine.com/
Seems to be the best in the area - I think it is ok to good.

New place in Whitby for Hakka though (we used to get our fix from the mediocre Tangerine - their chili chicken was pretty good though)
https://www.finetastehakka.ca/home-whitby

Their printed menu that we received a couple weeks ago looks like it was translated through babelfish/altavista lol.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Jul 20, 2012
675 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote: great. what did you have? please give me a review. I saw this place on food network and have been waiting to get out there. their pies look good too
I went to Butchie's yesterday for lunch. I had the country fried steak with a side of mac and cheese. Both were excellent. My g/f had a burger, she loved it. We'll be going back.

I don't know all the hate for Milo's but when we've gone we've enjoyed it. The saganaki is pretty good.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1432 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
I tried Pita Delites in Ajax yesterday and I don't think i'll go back again.

The staff are borderline unapproachable and acts like they don't want to serve you, doesnt even ask you if you want spicy or not, just plain out doing his thing and not caring.
and damn 8.50+tax for a beef shawarma wrap?