Food & Drink

moving to Durham Region... where to eat?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2023 6:15 am
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Thanks to the recommendations in this thread, finally tried Butchies last week. Thank you! The chicken wings and the country fried steak were awesome!

Love how she uses bacon to make the white gravy, and also offers pork products! Can't wait to return and try the BBQ pork shoulder... who needs Rotary Ripoff Ribfest?

Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2758 posts
858 upvotes
Whitby
riseagainstthemachine wrote: where can I get some decent indian food?
https://signatureindiancuisine.com/
Seems to be the best in the area - I think it is ok to good.

New place in Whitby for Hakka though (we used to get our fix from the mediocre Tangerine - their chili chicken was pretty good though)
https://www.finetastehakka.ca/home-whitby

Their printed menu that we received a couple weeks ago looks like it was translated through babelfish/altavista lol.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Jul 20, 2012
783 posts
345 upvotes
Guelph
riseagainstthemachine wrote: great. what did you have? please give me a review. I saw this place on food network and have been waiting to get out there. their pies look good too
I went to Butchie's yesterday for lunch. I had the country fried steak with a side of mac and cheese. Both were excellent. My g/f had a burger, she loved it. We'll be going back.

I don't know all the hate for Milo's but when we've gone we've enjoyed it. The saganaki is pretty good.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
I tried Pita Delites in Ajax yesterday and I don't think i'll go back again.

The staff are borderline unapproachable and acts like they don't want to serve you, doesnt even ask you if you want spicy or not, just plain out doing his thing and not caring.
and damn 8.50+tax for a beef shawarma wrap?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
DimsumDeals wrote: I tried Pita Delites in Ajax yesterday and I don't think i'll go back again.

The staff are borderline unapproachable and acts like they don't want to serve you, doesnt even ask you if you want spicy or not, just plain out doing his thing and not caring.
and damn 8.50+tax for a beef shawarma wrap?
what a ripoff. thanks for letting me know, it was on my list to try.
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
Spiderpal93 wrote: Just tried this burger place at Church and Kingston at pickering village. It's excellent and prices are good too.

http://burgerliciousajax.com
I drove past and this place was dead. what did you have? parking is a pain in the ass there too :(
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
also my wife is looking for a good/cheap sushi place in pickering/ajax/whitby, doesnt have to be all you can eat, just a good bento box will do. anyone have any suggestions?
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2137 posts
1965 upvotes
2nd for Churrasco of Portugal as listed by @ToDealHunter Their chicken is good, and their prego sandwich is even better
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I drove past and this place was dead. what did you have? parking is a pain in the ass there too :(
Why would you go there when Ajax has Five Guys with plenty of parking....
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Why would you go there when Ajax has Five Guys with plenty of parking....
im not a fan of five guys. plus that place has a few interesting menu items that i wouldnt mind trying
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Had a few good meals at 12welve Bistro (Brock St Brewery)...weekend featured items are good.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4158 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I drove past and this place was dead. what did you have? parking is a pain in the ass there too :(
I had the zinger burger(fried chicken) and the beef burger, both are quite tasty. Prices are low too(combos with burger, fries and drink $7.99-$8.99) They also have daily specials. Today(Monday) they have the Zinger combo for $5.99!

I think they probably underpriced. Dont think these prices will last long.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
Spiderpal93 wrote: I had the zinger burger(fried chicken) and the beef burger, both are quite tasty. Prices are low too(combos with burger, fries and drink $7.99-$8.99) They also have daily specials. Today(Monday) they have the Zinger combo for $5.99!

I think they probably underpriced. Dont think these prices will last long.
I read the reviews saying they are giving like 10 fries with the combo, true?
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
I Havnt been to these places since I worked in Durham but the port restaurant for a nice summer patio

Bellagios for sandwiches. (There is a high school nearby so get there early if you go for lunch on a weekday)
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Don't forget California Sandwiches is now open in Ajax. And for some good Trini food, Lena's at Rossland and Salem.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2758 posts
858 upvotes
Whitby
Church's Chicken recently opened @ corner of Thickson/Dundas.
Had it on the weekend - was on par with Popeye's (although I preferred the Chicken Joy that was further north on Thickson).
The biscuits were very good though.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2031 posts
280 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: also my wife is looking for a good/cheap sushi place in pickering/ajax/whitby, doesnt have to be all you can eat, just a good bento box will do. anyone have any suggestions?
Me and my wife has recently moved to Ajax as well and this thread has given me a few places to try out.

Now for sushi, there is only one half decent place in the area: Sakura Sushi in Pickering. Since you mentioned if they have some cheaper options, they have a lunch menu (which is also available during weekends) that are reasonably priced for both sushi and bento options.

All the other sushi places in the Durham region either: lacks quality, price is too high for what they offer, or generally a bad establishment due to cleanliness and hygiene issues. My wife and I have tried multiple AYCE places in Whitby and all of them were not up to par with their Google Reviews. Either the place was dirty (random crap on the floor which are not swept, or overwhelming smell of dirty dishrag) or the food tasted off (fish was slimy as f- and had a bad "rotten" smell).

For non sushi places in Ajax that's tried and trusted:
  • Fine Taste Hakka is your run off the mill Chinese food. Portions are huge and taste and value is excellent.
  • Flavours has really good beef patties. Also, the guys that run the place go out of their way to serve their customer right.
Aug 30, 2017
262 posts
178 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
Mentioned before but Tuscan Wolf for thin homemade crust pizza with a huge choice of toppings. Dundas just west of Brock Street in Whitby.
A Tavola - Garden south of Taunton. Pricy but got to take the spouse out.
Pita Deli for a good fill up.

Greek Tycoon - about all we have out here but I haven’t been able to find good Greek out here.

Tybah’s - Lebanese on Simcoe south of Taunton - fast food.