Food & Drink

moving to Durham Region... where to eat?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 7:49 pm
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
PiusPatronus wrote: All the other sushi places in the Durham region either: lacks quality, price is too high for what they offer, or generally a bad establishment due to cleanliness and hygiene issues. My wife and I have tried multiple AYCE places in Whitby and all of them were not up to par with their Google Reviews. Either the place was dirty (random crap on the floor which are not swept, or overwhelming smell of dirty dishrag) or the food tasted off (fish was slimy as f- and had a bad "rotten" smell).
There is no "good" sushi in Durham. For it to be good it must be run by Japanese (or somebody who apprenticed under a Japanese master) and not be a "stupid California rolls ordered by number" place.
The closest we have to good is Kobo in Pickering as it's actually run by a Japanese family. Go in there, avoid the McRolls, and order the omakase. That is real sushi.

Then step up in class over to Zen in Markham (formerly in Scarborough) to really get the proper experience.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Jul 28, 2017
209 posts
559 upvotes
Sushi mounain and Tokushima are pretty good options in Whitby and Oshawa respectively.
Mar 23, 2018
18 posts
13 upvotes
Hot Rocks in Whitby is good if a bit pricey as is Bella Notta and the Lake Grill. Teddy's in Oshawa is great and has been for years.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10635 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto
papermate2 wrote: Patois jamaican restaurant
At Liverpool and Kingston? I thought it was alright. Nothing to write home about.

My picks:

Portley Piper (Tuesdays for wings)
The keg (Ajax location only)
Dragon Gem (Chinese)
Moxies

The list could go on for a long time as we have a ton of restaurants around but those are my top 4
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2638 posts
1536 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: At Liverpool and Kingston? I thought it was alright. Nothing to write home about.

My picks:

Portley Piper (Tuesdays for wings)
The keg (Ajax location only)
Dragon Gem (Chinese)
Moxies

The list could go on for a long time as we have a ton of restaurants around but those are my top 4
lets hear the rest, always looking for new places in this east side wasteland of food
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10635 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote: lets hear the rest, always looking for new places in this east side wasteland of food
Those are my general go-to's. There's a place I've been to for wings (no liquor licence so I just take them home) called Wing House that's pretty good.
Jan 22, 2017
311 posts
203 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote: Those are my general go-to's. There's a place I've been to for wings (no liquor licence so I just take them home) called Wing House that's pretty good.
Have you tried WOW Wings? The menus at "WOW Wings" and "Wing House" are very similar. I suspect they branched off from the same original business.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4071 posts
884 upvotes
i'm surprised this thai place that we frequent hasn't been mentioned yet

Hot Mama Nois @ 1410 Bayly St, Pickering

The interior is pretty basic but love the food
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1055 posts
457 upvotes
TORONTO
Here are my picks after moving to Ajax 3 years ago.

Sushi: TnT Sushi at Harwood/Kingston (South of kingston) They have AYCE at certain times but for the most part its a la carte & combos.

Shawarma: none in ajax. Pita delite is expensive. Would rather go to Scarborough for proper shawarma.

Wings: Wing Spot on Rossland and Salem. This wing place originated from my home turf in Malvern. Love the flavours and price is ok. Could be cheaper but wings are decent.

Ramen: Kenzo Ramen in Oshawa. Been there a few times, always satisfied.

Steaks/Grill/Bar: Chucks Roadhouse. We go to the Ajax location. $20 for surf and turf is a great price. Half price apps after 9 and drink specials all week. Steaks are at least AAA and all under $25.

Roti & Doubles: Drupati's on Bayly east of Westney in the same plaza as Dairy Queen. If I can't hit up Mona's in Scarborough then this is a hop skip and a jump away.

Breakfast/Brunch: Aside from Angeliques. Blue Rooster which is down the street is alright. White Apron in Oshawa has been a decent spot we've frequented as well.

Damn, I can go on and on.... I'll stop here and keep adding.
Feb 12, 2017
56 posts
39 upvotes
akswun wrote: Here are my picks after moving to Ajax 3 years ago.

Sushi: TnT Sushi at Harwood/Kingston (South of kingston) They have AYCE at certain times but for the most part its a la carte & combos.

Shawarma: none in ajax. Pita delite is expensive. Would rather go to Scarborough for proper shawarma.

Wings: Wing Spot on Rossland and Salem. This wing place originated from my home turf in Malvern. Love the flavours and price is ok. Could be cheaper but wings are decent.

Ramen: Kenzo Ramen in Oshawa. Been there a few times, always satisfied.

Steaks/Grill/Bar: Chucks Roadhouse. We go to the Ajax location. $20 for surf and turf is a great price. Half price apps after 9 and drink specials all week. Steaks are at least AAA and all under $25.

Roti & Doubles: Drupati's on Bayly east of Westney in the same plaza as Dairy Queen. If I can't hit up Mona's in Scarborough then this is a hop skip and a jump away.

Breakfast/Brunch: Aside from Angeliques. Blue Rooster which is down the street is alright. White Apron in Oshawa has been a decent spot we've frequented as well.

Damn, I can go on and on.... I'll stop here and keep adding.
Ever been to 1268 sushi (Pickering)?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1055 posts
457 upvotes
TORONTO
Dum258 wrote: Ever been to 1268 sushi (Pickering)?
No.
Only sushi place I've been to in Pickering would be Dragon Rolls. I hate that place. Every single time we order too much. Them damn ipads are too easy to click on a bunch of stuff.
Just read some reviews on 1268. Will have to try in the future.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
akswun wrote: No.
Only sushi place I've been to in Pickering would be Dragon Rolls. I hate that place. Every single time we order too much. Them damn ipads are too easy to click on a bunch of stuff.
Just read some reviews on 1268. Will have to try in the future.
Yikes, you do realize "1268 Sushi" formerly known as "Edamame" had TWO fires within about a year...

Here's the picture after the second fire... still had the grand reopening signs from after the first fire:
https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story ... ent-units/

It's amazing they weren't evicted. The roti place and Edible Arrangements shop next to them suffered both times.

There's no "good" sushi in Durham. I'd say don't waste your time with 1268/Edamame. Dragon Rolls is actually better, sad to say.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4380 posts
3905 upvotes
akswun wrote:
On principle I will not eat at a restaurant that tacks on a "system access fee" (that's what I call it since it's no different from the telecoms) to the bill. No, it's not a mandatory tip nor is it tax. It's pure profit for the owner and a sneaky way to make the menu look cheaper than the competition.

ICYMI:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/restauran ... -1.3860398
https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/commen ... dness_fee/
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserRevi ... tario.html
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2643 posts
526 upvotes
Whitby
Went to https://www.12welvebistro.ca/ yesterday. Stupid name but great food. Tried the cauliflower pakora, mussels, bison sausage rigatoni and the Korean Chicken sandwich. All were fantastic.
Brock Street beer has always been mediocre, nowhere near as adventurous as 5 Paddles or even Town, but they have their market for low key "craft" beer for the Molson/Labatt crowd.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove