• Oct 29th, 2016 4:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2215 posts
103 upvotes

Moving fridges

I'm helping my grandma dispose of replacing some old inefficient fridges with a new one.

If I order a new fridge from a company, I know they'll take the old one back. But if I want to help her rearrange them by removing 2 old ones from the basement, then putting the main floor one in the basement and putting the new fridge on the main floor, will they do all this extra work for an extra $50 cash usually?

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1246 posts
246 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Really depends on the company. They may say that for insurance/liability, they won't.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1794 posts
329 upvotes
Or call up three friends and order pizza/beer with the $50. Once you remove the doors, it's not that hard especially if you have access to a dolly.

Just remember, if you decide to leave the fridge outside for garbage pickup, you need to leave the doors off for safety reasons.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
631 upvotes
aokec wrote: I'm helping my grandma dispose of replacing some old inefficient fridges with a new one.

If I order a new fridge from a company, I know they'll take the old one back. But if I want to help her rearrange them by removing 2 old ones from the basement, then putting the main floor one in the basement and putting the new fridge on the main floor, will they do all this extra work for an extra $50 cash usually?

Thanks
You must be nuts asking them to move fridges up and down the stairs. Those things are heavy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2215 posts
103 upvotes
wal3145 wrote:
aokec wrote: I'm helping my grandma dispose of replacing some old inefficient fridges with a new one.

Thanks
You must be nuts asking them to move fridges up and down the stairs. Those things are heavy!
That's why I was wondering if they would take tip to move those things up and down for a fee, and dispose of them in an environmentally responsible way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2215 posts
103 upvotes
DarkCanuck wrote: Really depends on the company. They may say that for insurance/liability, they won't.
I was wondering about places like Lowes, sears etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3461 posts
667 upvotes
Allenford
It depends on the delivery company. I had my past fridge delivered, they moved the old one to the basement and took the basement one out. They also moved my empty hot tub. Big tip of course but they were willing to do it. You won't know till you ask, you may get a lazy ass.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4980 posts
6391 upvotes
Toronto, ON
akira1971 wrote: Or call up three friends and order pizza/beer with the $50. Once you remove the doors, it's not that hard especially if you have access to a dolly.

Just remember, if you decide to leave the fridge outside for garbage pickup, you need to leave the doors off for safety reasons.
Glad I'm not your friend.

Hauling 2 heavy fridges up stairs and another back down for pizza and beer?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4482 posts
4007 upvotes
Toronto
Fridges have some value as scrap metal. You can try offering $50 on Kijiji/Craigslist for moving and keeping the old fridges for scrap value and moving the main floor one downstairs. If you have people who will take you up on your offer, wait and see if the delivery people will do the same. If they won't, just have them leave all the old fridges then contact the Kijiji responders back.

I have those straps and they're much better than not using them, but stairs are tricky since one person is higher than the other.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2215 posts
103 upvotes
snow00774 wrote: It depends on the delivery company. I had my past fridge delivered, they moved the old one to the basement and took the basement one out. They also moved my empty hot tub. Big tip of course but they were willing to do it. You won't know till you ask, you may get a lazy ass.
do you have to ask the movers themselves or do you ask say Lowes? (I'm guessing Lowes would say no they won't do that...)

Otherwise I may have to go the Kijiji route.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10861 posts
6123 upvotes
Paris
Lowe's will say no. Will have to ask the particular movers on that particular day. Go 100 bucks and it'll get done. Cheaper than Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3002 posts
1155 upvotes
Windsor
So, you want them to bring one fridge from the kitchen upstairs to somewhere downstairs, move two old fridges from the basement to their truck, and one from the truck upstairs? If I was a mover, I'd do it if I didn't have to take off doors / mouldings / whatever. If I did have to dismantle part of the house, I wouldn't bother.

If it was me, I'd just do all the moving myself with a friend; fridges only weigh like 250 lbs, and if you get a friend to do it, you probably won't smash the walls. Get a hand truck that is meant for stairs; I have one like this, but there are ones with 3 wheels per side that work pretty well too.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.