• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2015 10:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
125 posts

Moving - how do you manage the logistics of rent overlap

I live downtown Toronto, got hired for a new job in Mississauga.

I am about to give my landlord my 60 days notice. Then during July/August I'll look for a new place to rent starting in September.

Last time I moved, I overlapped my rentals by a full month, which made it 'easier' to organize the move, but it cost me an extra month's rent. This time I want to save my $$ and do this more efficiently.

I'm not sure if I should tell my landlord I want to move on Aug 31, or Sept 1? Or should I ask to continue renting for the first week of September so that I am guaranteed to overlap with whatever new place I find?

If I tell my LL I intend to vacate Aug 31, that's great but then I have to find a rental that will let me move in Aug 31 ... or even better, Aug 29/30 weekend. Is that realistic?

What would you do / what have you done in this situation?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1447 posts
477 upvotes
Generally your landlord will want you out by August 31st. Often times you can move into your new place a day or two early, but worst case scenario you just leave your things in the truck overnight. If you're using movers they can also temporarily store your things overnight.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1972 posts
792 upvotes
Kitchener
I think if you give your notice now you'll have to pay for the full month of september. I might be wrong, its been awhile since i rented but I don't recall landlord prorating the end month.
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
When you find your new place see if you can move in a day or two earlier, the place maybe vacant already. If there is someone else there it is often a problem because you will need to clean it, maybe paint. You may want to stipulate that in your new lease that the place is proffesional cleaned on the 31st.
Same when the new tenants come to your place ask them if they can move in a day later. At any rate, they should be out by the midnight 31st so they will usually leave in the morning or afternoon giving you the evening to move in, you can rent a truck and leave all your stuff in the truck or uhaul trailer over night and move the next day, giving you time to clean the place. The fact is nobody can really force you to leave your place on the 31st and the worst case is you have to pay for 1 or 2 more days of rent. There are sometimes situation that are beyond your control. But better to avoid that obviously.

btw, be careful about cheap moving companies, i would never trust one again.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10775 posts
2853 upvotes
Nowhere
peelhic wrote: I think if you give your notice now you'll have to pay for the full month of september. I might be wrong, its been awhile since i rented but I don't recall landlord prorating the end month.
You have to give 60 days notice to the end of the rental period. So if he gives notice today, it should be 60 days since July and August have 31 days. Otherwise, you are correct, it would have to be to the end of Sept. But the landlord has a duty to mitigate so he/she will have to try to rent the unit for Sept. and can't just sit back and collect the rent for that month and leave the unit vacate.

As for overlap, you try to make arrangements with the landlord/other tenant. When I've moved, I have left early because the other tenant left early or the unit was vacant and I was able to move a few days before the end of the month which allowed the new tenant to move into my old place early.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't expect or even bank on the landlord catering to you. Odds are they will want you out by the first. It dosent hurt to ask, but the odds of them finding someone willing to rent a week into the month are slim.

In my experience most landlords scoff at you if you want to stay past the first without paying the full months rent, and typically try and get out you sooner, so they can have time to have the place cleaned, floors refinished etc. by the 1st.
They are more inclined to cater to the new tenant than to the one moving out. It is a business after all.
It's always better to try and coordinate any accommodations with the new landlord as opposed to the landlord you're leaving
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
125 posts
Thanks everybody for the helpful replies.

I took the advice and gave notice for the end of August. I will try to find a place that will let me take occupancy in late August.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5608 posts
1809 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I think it's supposed to be full 60 days from end of rental period, aka end of a calendar month. So if you gave notice today (already in July), technically you'll be responsible for all of September as well. See what your landlord/management say... for a day late maybe they'll be ok.