Home & Garden

Moving Light Switch from the right side of my door to the left. Cold air ducts seem to the in the way. Ideas?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2021 11:42 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
61 posts
103 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta

Moving Light Switch from the right side of my door to the left. Cold air ducts seem to the in the way. Ideas?

This album should explain my situation clearly!

I would like to relocate the existing light switch from the right side of my utility room door, to the left side of the same door.
I am doing this to remove the electrical cable going to the light switch from the joist it is currently stapled to. This cable is a possible element of interference for the large number of cat6 network cables I will be running on in.

The side of the door where I want to move the power switch looks to have some kind of sheet metal ducting at the top of the stud wall.

I am just unsure of what the proper way to do this would be.

Please view the imgur album for a clear understanding of what I am up against

Thank you for your time!
7 replies
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
61 posts
103 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
This is my best idea so far.
Is this allowed?
The way the cord just runs down and across the joist?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
Not a great idea to surface mount the wire without protection. You could bring the existing wire to the top, then use a box to switch it to armoured cable and surface mount that.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2306 posts
501 upvotes
I did not look at all the pictures in detail, however, that vent cover appears to be an air return servicing the upper levels. It would not extend downwards and would not interfere with the routing of the switch if you drill diagonally downwards to run the wire down the stud where you want it located and not breach the air return envelope (against code).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5718 posts
4183 upvotes
LaLaLand
cba123 wrote: OP wants to move the wiring so that it won't cause interference with the cat6 wiring, so how will a wireless switch help with moving all the existing wiring?
The wiring can be moved somewhere else and the wireless light switch can be put in its current location. Since it's a wireless switch, the wired switch can be moved anywhere else away from the network wires.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)