Home & Garden

Moving out of condo, only can employ professional movers?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 12:30 am
[OP]
Jan 17, 2009
743 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto

Moving out of condo, only can employ professional movers?

Hi, I'm moving out of my condo soon. It's only a small 1BR place, so I don't want to hire movers for a minimum of 2 hours and $300+. I can rent a Uhaul and move it myself. However, in the elevator rental form, there is a clause that says "I will only employ professional licensed and bonded movers to conduct my move."

Is this clause enforceable? Is it okay if I don't hire anyone and just move myself? There is a service fee for using the elevator as well as a damage deposit already...
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
Ask your condo board or whatever draconian organization runs it (congrats on moving out).

In all seriousness, that is there to prevent you from hiring trained monkeys with no insurance to move your stuff. How did you move in? I think it's fair to say you're allowed to move your own stuff in and out of your condo. How else would you ever buy furniture or bring home a TV?
[OP]
Jan 17, 2009
743 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: Ask your condo board or whatever draconian organization runs it (congrats on moving out).

In all seriousness, that is there to prevent you from hiring trained monkeys with no insurance to move your stuff. How did you move in? I think it's fair to say you're allowed to move your own stuff in and out of your condo. How else would you ever buy furniture or bring home a TV?
Haha I don't want to ask in order to preserve my plausible deniability ;).

We moved in piecewise (a bed one day, a desk another day) ourselves. But one day were we moved a bit more stuff and parked the van beside the service door, the concierge got kind of mad at us and told us we had to book the elevator next time.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
Book the elevator, and be super careful about any damage to hallways etc. Frankly, if a mover caused damage you'd never get them to admit it or fork over the money the condo board would demand anyhow. Book the elevator and move.

You're not hiring anyone, so by definition you're not breaking the clause that says you'll only hire licensed professional insured movers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6707 posts
3754 upvotes
Aurora
Yep. Screw the clause. Move yourself. Moving is muscle. It's not like moving companies employ guys who go to Moving Trade School to become Professional Movers.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10062 posts
5325 upvotes
Paris
torontotim wrote:
You're not hiring anyone, so by definition you're not breaking the clause that says you'll only hire licensed professional insured movers.
I agree. You aren’t hiring unbonded movers so you are good.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5945 posts
6135 upvotes
Toronto
xerane wrote: Hi, I'm moving out of my condo soon. It's only a small 1BR place, so I don't want to hire movers for a minimum of 2 hours and $300+. I can rent a Uhaul and move it myself. However, in the elevator rental form, there is a clause that says "I will only employ professional licensed and bonded movers to conduct my move."

Is this clause enforceable? Is it okay if I don't hire anyone and just move myself? There is a service fee for using the elevator as well as a damage deposit already...
You're not moving, you're just transferring some personal items to your vehicle. Since you're not employing anyone at all, it's fine.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Feb 25, 2004
966 posts
435 upvotes
Longueuil
As it was said, just do it and be careful not to damage the walls and floor. Movers would not do anything about a few scratches on a wall anyway, that condo board is in serious denial if they think otherwise.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1454 posts
502 upvotes
Ottawa
It sounds more like they mean "if I were to hire a mover, I will only employ professional licensed and bonded movers to conduct my move". You would assume if the condo is doing the moving he would be careful about moving his own furniture.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11638 posts
3941 upvotes
Toronto
How do they define professional?
As far as I know, mover doesn't need to be license and there is no license for it.

Does it has to be a registered moving company? or just anyone who work as a mover for living.

Anyhow, if you move yourself, you are not hiring anyone, so their rule is not applicable.
Just make sure you don't damage anything, so nothing can go after you.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015