• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 2:53 am
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville

moving out on my own ... things to buy

I own a condo for almost 2.5 years now ... it currently rented by a tenant... i attached the layout of my condo, I don't know how accurate those measurements but just to give you a general idea... it on the third floor, northside view

I want to move out of my mother's house and move in my condo in the spring/summer time. So I thought I would start now and look for items deals for the condo. I have a decent amount of savings/money but obviously don't want to spend it all. I don't want to buy the cheapest or craziest expensive stuffs, just something in good value that lasts a good time. I'm a 30 years old guy, not some low 20's years old that probably don't care for the items as long as it does it job.

Tell me what good brands for certain items, stores to check out or online links like amazon, so I can track the items over time when it come on for sale. If I miss any items on the list, tell me... I don't mean like spices or toilet bowl scrub cleaner lol.

Kitchen I'm a pretty decent cook so I do like quality kitchen items and I have nearly 3ft high of cookbooks lol :P

have ...

- lagostina 2.5L dutch oven pot
- microwave
- foodsaver machine
- utensil tray
- oneida brand spoons, fork, knives, small spoons for coffee/tea
- kitchenaid stand mixer
- cheap thin metal mixing bowls (planning to look for the low/short and wide type of bowls)
- rolling pin
- baking trays, cupcake pan, pizza pan, cooling racks
- hand crank pasta roller

need...

- pots and pans (noticed that most people here don't recommend a set)
- non stick pan
- cast iron pan
- knives ( noticed that most people here don't recommend a set)
- garage bin (probably inside door type because it not a big floor space to put a "on the floor" garage bin
- coffee/tea mugs
- kettle
- wine and drinking glasses
- plates and bowls
- toaster
- cutting board

Living/dining room

most stuffs I can't buy right now since items are too big but I do want to get an idea of where to go or know what to get when the time come to buy

have...

- dining table and chair (I got my mother's old dining table that look like the top picture and I thought I would sand it and stain with walnut or dark brown colour and buy white chairs) I thought I would save decent money instead of buying a 1-1.5k wood table.

Need...

- Light grey L shaped couch
- white fabric or leather dining chairs
- bar stools for the kitchen counter area (possibly)
- blackout drapes
- wood coffee and side table
- rug
- TV (currently have 40" samsung UN40F6300AF), it a great tv for bright type tv/movie/sports and video games but suck on dark colours, it get pixels looking and hard to see. Based on my condo layout it possibly 10 feet from one wall to the other wall. TV probably one of the those items always get cheaper over time because of technology always evolving and should probably wait until I am close to move in time.

Bedroom

have...

- ikea malm double bed, 6 drawers chest and nightstand (I heard ikea items aren't the same if put back together again)

need...

- Thinking that I might need to upgrade my bed size to a queen size bed for a reason Winking Face
- nightstand
- drawer chest (If I want to match it to my bed frame)
- patio furniture (I got 113sqft balcony space, it the biggest in my condo building)

Thank for the help
Images
  • 20170801_005811_001.jpg
  • f7784f109f9830af29802af8de90b3a3--re-finish-kitchen-table-farmhouse-kitchen-table-black.jpg
67 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
2044 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Nice job on the table.

My only advice is to go through the entire unit and do a thorough cleaning first, rather than move all your stuff in on day one.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33541 posts
7217 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I wouldn’t bother buying anything right now. Wait till you move in and buy everything slowly as they come on sale.

IKEA furniture comes apart easily, but you really can’t reassemble them again because particle board does not retain threads from screws. Fortunately, Ikea has been using plastic inserts on most new furniture to eliminate this problem.

Definitely get a Queen size bed. You’ll appreciate the space.

Only other suggestion is to not buy too much stuff and don’t buy expensive stuff. If you plan to get married some day, you’ll want to move to a bigger place and it is just easier to throw stuff out.

However, don’t skimp on a bed, it is the only thing I suggest you splurge on. Invest in your kitchen slowly. Good cookware is not cheap and it doesn’t last forever either.

Keep the Samsung for a bedroom TV and get a 65” for the main TV when you move in.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11975 posts
8651 upvotes
GTA, ON
Agree, go to Costco for a set of wine glasses or regular drinking glasses. Wood furniture is pretty good quality there too as long as the sizing and style fits your design measurements & vision. I have a few great pieces from there bought over the years (espresso finish bookcase, tv stand with built in cabinet, standing fullsize fashion mirror).

Lowes carries some decent rugs in store and their light fixtures IMO are better looking than the ones at Home Depot.

Home Sense and Marshalls is a good place to find artwork. Could be a good place to find accent pieces too. I dislike Pier One but you can find accent pieces there too.

Bed Bath & Beyond has lots of selection for drapery but you'll definitely pay for it there. Lowes carries lots of drapery too. Costco carries good quality blackout drapes for a good price (2x 84"x54" @ ~$40) but limited on colours and style.

Ikea has lots if knick knacks but IMHO not worth it even at the lower cost. I personally would recommend spending more money for higher quality products.

If high brand plates don't matter, Wal-Mart always puts the Corell plates/bowls on sale during their anniversary sales.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: I wouldn’t bother buying anything right now. Wait till you move in and buy everything slowly as they come on sale.

IKEA furniture comes apart easily, but you really can’t reassemble them again because particle board does not retain threads from screws. Fortunately, Ikea has been using plastic inserts on most new furniture to eliminate this problem.

Definitely get a Queen size bed. You’ll appreciate the space.

Only other suggestion is to not buy too much stuff and don’t buy expensive stuff. If you plan to get married some day, you’ll want to move to a bigger place and it is just easier to throw stuff out.

However, don’t skimp on a bed, it is the only thing I suggest you splurge on. Invest in your kitchen slowly. Good cookware is not cheap and it doesn’t last forever either.

Keep the Samsung for a bedroom TV and get a 65” for the main TV when you move in.
thats good for ikea and their plastic inserts

You recommend to splurge on the bed... then what brands do you recommend?

My mom found out about me writing up a list for the condo ... she want me to give me a heritage 11 cookware piece set from sears... I work in the food service and I never even heard of this brand lol ... apparently it was regular price of $400, on sale for $100 and got additional 80% off ... only paid $20 or so

I did a quick research on best current 65" TV... a few sites said LG OLED65C7P

chimaican wrote: Agree, go to Costco for a set of wine glasses or regular drinking glasses. Wood furniture is pretty good quality there too as long as the sizing and style fits your design measurements & vision. I have a few great pieces from there bought over the years (espresso finish bookcase, tv stand with built in cabinet, standing fullsize fashion mirror).

Lowes carries some decent rugs in store and their light fixtures IMO are better looking than the ones at Home Depot.

Home Sense and Marshalls is a good place to find artwork. Could be a good place to find accent pieces too. I dislike Pier One but you can find accent pieces there too.

Bed Bath & Beyond has lots of selection for drapery but you'll definitely pay for it there. Lowes carries lots of drapery too. Costco carries good quality blackout drapes for a good price (2x 84"x54" @ ~$40) but limited on colours and style.

Ikea has lots if knick knacks but IMHO not worth it even at the lower cost. I personally would recommend spending more money for higher quality products.

If high brand plates don't matter, Wal-Mart always puts the Corell plates/bowls on sale during their anniversary sales.
nice! will check out costco... I never go to the furniture area of costco since I never needed to :P

A friend of mine mentioned BBB for drapery but didn't take her seriously lol ... I guess I will check it out as well

I agree with paying a little more money on knick knacks just to get a major improvement on quality and lasts a bit longer than buying them often at ikea

I do want a bit high quality plates because I work in the food service ... I like the nice pure white plates
Nov 8, 2006
858 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
I'd say dont buy anything until you think you need those.

I bought my first place and got them piece by piece as I needed them/ on sale.

Remember, things are always on sale somewhere / someday during the year....but not space.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2705 upvotes
ON
I recommend the Costco grey sectional. It's modular, so you can rearrange as needed. Also easier to move because it's in smaller pieces than a full sofa.

They only sell it this time of year, though.
It's $1200 or so, comparable units elsewhere are $2000+
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Move in with whatever you have. When you find out you need something, go out and buy it. Hopefully you can get it on sale.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
I understand where you guys are coming from... not even the TV? :(

I was wondering if it smart or not to change the countertop because it probably the ugliest countertop I have ever seen... I would like put a pure white quartz on it and thought of refacing the cabinets from brown to a light grey colour to modernize it up a bit.

I'm already planning to repaint the whole condo because right now it like a medium swamp green colour and want to paint a light colour because my condo is facing north which doesn't get any sunlight so I thought light colour like white will help the place not looking so dark at night
Images
  • 20150804_191210.jpg
  • 20150804_191226.jpg
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
174 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
I would wait to do any renos until you have lived there a couple of months. It will give you a better idea of what you want. Painting is usually a good idea, but don’t paint it white. Light grey or a grey-beige (“greige”) is trendy right now, then paint the trim an off-white.

For textiles, you can try Simon’s. Free shipping, free returns. Put what you like on your wish list and keep an eye for sales. I got a queen duvet cover once for $30. The online store has rugs, bedding, art, trinkets, kitchen linens and bathroom furnishings.
Dec 31, 2017
22 posts
45 upvotes
That countertop is pretty ugly ...

In addition to looking nice, quartz is more stain resistant than granite or marble. It's always best to wipe up any mess as soon as it happens, but you have a bit more peace of mind with quartz.

The cabinet overall can be pretty simple and done in a single weekend. I'd suggest changing the hardware as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19677 posts
7208 upvotes
Socially Distanced
This is what you should buy

Pots and pans (i recommend Lagostina)
Non stick frying pan
A few knives, paring knife, steak knives and a chef's knife
Corelle dishware set
Cheap cutting board (decide on a better one in time)
Utensil set
Kettle
Toaster
Garbage bin and recycling, i like these for recycling if you have a nearby Ikea
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70255899/
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10255897/

Cheap couch, even the cheapest your preferred furniture store has, use it for now, decide what you want as you get used to the place.
Computer table and office chair (and floor protector depending on floor type)

Bed
Night table
Dresser
You can use your current ones for now, you don't have to replace them just because your moving to a new place

Everything else can wait for funds and a good sale. This is also an excellent opportunity to decide if you want to live with lots of stuff or be minimalistic. Also don't let your parents con you into storing things for them.

Finally keep the counter you have, if you hate it you won't care if it gets stained or chipped up, you can rag on it until you find an amazing deal for what you really want.
Last edited by Quentin5 on Jan 7th, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Dec 31, 2017
22 posts
45 upvotes
BBB and Bouclair are good for drapes and hanging hardware (re: rods). You'll receive a 20% off coupon (single item) every 2-3 weeks if you subscribe to the BBB newsletter. Do not buy furniture at Bouclair -- the pieces I've seen (a media console and sideboard) were very flimsy.

Better to spend your money on furniture than expensive plates IMO. You can fill your cupboards with nice and basic white plates, glasses, and cutlery for a $100 at Ikea.

I recommend prioritizing where you spend your furniture money. I'd prioritize a couch and media console over having expensive dining chairs. You did a really nice job on your table, and freed up a good wad of cash there for other things. EQ3 sells pretty nice sectionals and coffee tables. And it's worth looking at The Bay too. They regularly have 50% off sales, and a large assortment of pieces and styles. I picked up a knockoff Noguchi coffee table from the Bay a couple of years ago; I saw it on sale a couple of months ago for under $600, which is a lot for a coffee table, but a hell of a lot less than what DWR is asking.

Ikea sells very affordable rugs that are nice and basic. If you have more money to spend, check out CB2 or Crate & Barrel.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10086 posts
1515 upvotes
I'd say move in with what you have and then figure out what you need.

Your kitchen is tiny. ou are a cook. This will drive you nuts. Don't buy a ton of stuff you cannot store.

Based on your size of home and storage, you may not be able to buy the BEST but you may find more value in buying multi-functional appliances/tools/furniture instead. But you won't know until you love on your own in the condo.

As for the countertop, yes it is hideous. Yes white quartz is way better. I had similar ugly granite and we renovated the kitchen to have white quartz. What a world of difference.

But don't do much until you move in, that is always my suggestion. Find out how you live in the condo to know what you really need.

No need for new TV until you REALLY want one.

As for places to shop, this is what I have used for my home/condo:

EQ3/Urban Barn - Sectional.
Bedroom - I am so glad I bought mine because the company no longer exists and they no longer make my bedroom at that quality at that price. Can't help you there, but like most say, go for quality when you are ready to buy.
Curtains - Ikea
Chairs - Dining chair, buy medium quality that are wipeable. Got ours from Linen Chest on sale. For sitting chairs, your sectional should be enough but if you are talking a reading chair or corner chair in a bedroom, buy something good. I had like with KSP catalogue (no their cheap crap).
Cutlery - Costco set. Super high quality, very good value and had a set of 10 for forks, salad forks, dessert spoon and soup spoon and butter knives. Steak knives, just get whatever you want.
Cups/Mugs - Mugs can be anything, we don't match. Glasses, I think PC brands are pretty good or KSP. Doesn't really matter there. Wine glasses - almost any are good too.
Prepping Knives - Can't help you there. Mine were hand me downs and ceramic knives. Do make sure you get good sheers though.
Dishware - Corningware. Only thing I own and plain white. I do have white with some black stripes but overall everything is white. I know there are some decent PC ones too, light, white and cheap.
Cutting Board - This is tough, I have plastic ones for meat and wood ones for others. Haven't had too much luck with them lasting or staining etc.
Kettle - or a chinese hot water one. I have both.
Toaster - Almost anything will do. But I rarely use the toaster so we bought a decent one from Canadian Tire - 4 slice toaster. If you have a small over toaster, you can skip the toaster itself

Cookware - tons of options but up to you. I spent 10 years so far on my own and still figuring out what works best. I have found the 80's non-stick stuff the best, still using it (hand me down from aunt). Non-stick fry pan only used for stuff you really need like eggs and dumplings. I got stainless Steel wok and love it. LOVE IT. Can steam and do my stir fry and cooking. I like minimal maintenance so I use that over traditional wok materials that require seasoning. Cast Iron, I only use for camping so can't help you there. Pots. Mine are all from Ikea and I love them. Heavy steel, great heating, sturdy with glass lids. Cheap too. Bought a set and it came in 3 sizes with lids too. Also got my giant stock pot from there too. Same brand Ikea 365+ or something. Unfortunately I have a lot and use almost all of them: 2 non-stick sauce pans, 1 non-stick fry pan, 1 SS wok, 4 SS pots (differing sizes).

Coffee/Side table - look at Homesense for deals them. I found glass top coffee tables better, you can just wipe it down with a magic eraser with ease.
Rug - Got Ikea ones.
Bar Stools - Bought them online, got fabric but I may recommend leather too since people spill crap on them. So far no big issue but still. Functionality is key, maybe get ones that swivel and adjustable height. Prefer to get one with 4 legs than a wide base because that catches a lot of dust.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20062 posts
5451 upvotes
Good Morning
I bought most of my furniture (non-fabric) off Kijiji. Honestly, I go to IKEA or furniture store to find out what fits and what I want, note the name and price, and check Kijiji, add alerts.

I have 4 Kallax shelves, side tables, desk, glass shelves, bed frame from Kijiji. I would not buy dressers, sofa,s etc. from Kijiji though. I did spend the extra savings on a nice sofa and TV :)
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
349 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
Operatime wrote: I would wait to do any renos until you have lived there a couple of months. It will give you a better idea of what you want. Painting is usually a good idea, but don’t paint it white. Light grey or a grey-beige (“greige”) is trendy right now, then paint the trim an off-white.

For textiles, you can try Simon’s. Free shipping, free returns. Put what you like on your wish list and keep an eye for sales. I got a queen duvet cover once for $30. The online store has rugs, bedding, art, trinkets, kitchen linens and bathroom furnishings.
I thought of light grey but If I reface my kitchen cabinets to be light grey ... I don't know if I want to shades of grey all over the place... I was thinking something like the picture... plus I have a few black frames with black and white posters so I thought it would look good on white walls instead light grey

I was thinking of light grey for the bedroom
benhamil wrote: That countertop is pretty ugly ...

In addition to looking nice, quartz is more stain resistant than granite or marble. It's always best to wipe up any mess as soon as it happens, but you have a bit more peace of mind with quartz.

The cabinet overall can be pretty simple and done in a single weekend. I'd suggest changing the hardware as well.
yes! definitely pure white quartz or light grey veins on white quartz that look like marble .. depending on price point and also do white subway tiles with grey grout for backsplash
Quentin5 wrote: This is what you should buy

Pots and pans (i recommend Lagostina)
Non stick frying pan
A few knives, paring knife, steak knives and a chef's knife
Corelle dishware set
Cheap cutting board (decide on a better one in time)
Utensil set
Kettle
Toaster
Garbage bin and recycling, i like these for recycling if you have a nearby Ikea
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70255899/
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10255897/

Cheap couch, even the cheapest your preferred furniture store has, use it for now, decide what you want as you get used to the place.
Computer table and office chair (and floor protector depending on floor type)

Bed
Night table
Dresser
You can use your current ones for now, you don't have to replace them just because your moving to a new place

Everything else can wait for funds and a good sale. This is also an excellent opportunity to decide if you want to live with lots of stuff or be minimalistic. Also don't let your parents con you into storing things for them.

Finally keep the counter you have, if you hate it you won't care if it gets stained or chipped up, you can rag on it until you find an amazing deal for what you really want.
I'm liking the list :)

"if" I hate it lol ... definitely hate it, no question on that :P
benhamil wrote: BBB and Bouclair are good for drapes and hanging hardware (re: rods). You'll receive a 20% off coupon (single item) every 2-3 weeks if you subscribe to the BBB newsletter. Do not buy furniture at Bouclair -- the pieces I've seen (a media console and sideboard) were very flimsy.

Better to spend your money on furniture than expensive plates IMO. You can fill your cupboards with nice and basic white plates, glasses, and cutlery for a $100 at Ikea.

I recommend prioritizing where you spend your furniture money. I'd prioritize a couch and media console over having expensive dining chairs. You did a really nice job on your table, and freed up a good wad of cash there for other things. EQ3 sells pretty nice sectionals and coffee tables. And it's worth looking at The Bay too. They regularly have 50% off sales, and a large assortment of pieces and styles. I picked up a knockoff Noguchi coffee table from the Bay a couple of years ago; I saw it on sale a couple of months ago for under $600, which is a lot for a coffee table, but a hell of a lot less than what DWR is asking.

Ikea sells very affordable rugs that are nice and basic. If you have more money to spend, check out CB2 or Crate & Barrel.
Yeah I saw the drapes online at BBB, pretty decent price plus 20% off ...I'm surprised about bouclair ... I heard it a decent place because of the high prices meaning good quality... I guess it a rip off store

the picture is from the net.. just want to show what my table look like now which is the before picture... I'm planning to stain the whole table both top and leg... I have done similar job to my aunt table that actually look better than the after pic of that table

oh great... I will check out those places and see what they got to offer
speedyforme wrote: I'd say move in with what you have and then figure out what you need.

Your kitchen is tiny. ou are a cook. This will drive you nuts. Don't buy a ton of stuff you cannot store.

Based on your size of home and storage, you may not be able to buy the BEST but you may find more value in buying multi-functional appliances/tools/furniture instead. But you won't know until you love on your own in the condo.

As for the countertop, yes it is hideous. Yes white quartz is way better. I had similar ugly granite and we renovated the kitchen to have white quartz. What a world of difference.

But don't do much until you move in, that is always my suggestion. Find out how you live in the condo to know what you really need.

No need for new TV until you REALLY want one.

As for places to shop, this is what I have used for my home/condo:

EQ3/Urban Barn - Sectional.
Bedroom - I am so glad I bought mine because the company no longer exists and they no longer make my bedroom at that quality at that price. Can't help you there, but like most say, go for quality when you are ready to buy.
Curtains - Ikea
Chairs - Dining chair, buy medium quality that are wipeable. Got ours from Linen Chest on sale. For sitting chairs, your sectional should be enough but if you are talking a reading chair or corner chair in a bedroom, buy something good. I had like with KSP catalogue (no their cheap crap).
Cutlery - Costco set. Super high quality, very good value and had a set of 10 for forks, salad forks, dessert spoon and soup spoon and butter knives. Steak knives, just get whatever you want.
Cups/Mugs - Mugs can be anything, we don't match. Glasses, I think PC brands are pretty good or KSP. Doesn't really matter there. Wine glasses - almost any are good too.
Prepping Knives - Can't help you there. Mine were hand me downs and ceramic knives. Do make sure you get good sheers though.
Dishware - Corningware. Only thing I own and plain white. I do have white with some black stripes but overall everything is white. I know there are some decent PC ones too, light, white and cheap.
Cutting Board - This is tough, I have plastic ones for meat and wood ones for others. Haven't had too much luck with them lasting or staining etc.
Kettle - or a chinese hot water one. I have both.
Toaster - Almost anything will do. But I rarely use the toaster so we bought a decent one from Canadian Tire - 4 slice toaster. If you have a small over toaster, you can skip the toaster itself

Cookware - tons of options but up to you. I spent 10 years so far on my own and still figuring out what works best. I have found the 80's non-stick stuff the best, still using it (hand me down from aunt). Non-stick fry pan only used for stuff you really need like eggs and dumplings. I got stainless Steel wok and love it. LOVE IT. Can steam and do my stir fry and cooking. I like minimal maintenance so I use that over traditional wok materials that require seasoning. Cast Iron, I only use for camping so can't help you there. Pots. Mine are all from Ikea and I love them. Heavy steel, great heating, sturdy with glass lids. Cheap too. Bought a set and it came in 3 sizes with lids too. Also got my giant stock pot from there too. Same brand Ikea 365+ or something. Unfortunately I have a lot and use almost all of them: 2 non-stick sauce pans, 1 non-stick fry pan, 1 SS wok, 4 SS pots (differing sizes).

Coffee/Side table - look at Homesense for deals them. I found glass top coffee tables better, you can just wipe it down with a magic eraser with ease.
Rug - Got Ikea ones.
Bar Stools - Bought them online, got fabric but I may recommend leather too since people spill crap on them. So far no big issue but still. Functionality is key, maybe get ones that swivel and adjustable height. Prefer to get one with 4 legs than a wide base because that catches a lot of dust.
actually there is more storage in the laundry room ... I can put a shelving unit on the opposite side of the washer/dryer unit, I know it doesn't show on the layout

this is great information ... thanks
Images
  • bee7f44c394e209c04a87d6528f67258.jpg
Feb 13, 2013
157 posts
78 upvotes
BC
Don’t forget basic tools like a good hammer and a megapro (multi-bit) screwdriver. And maybe a small level. You won’t even be able to hang a picture or mount your tv to the wall without those.