Moving provinces for new job - Tax deduction questions

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2021 3:53 pm
[OP]
Jan 30, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes

Moving provinces for new job - Tax deduction questions

Good afternoon everyone! My family and I are moving for a new job (~ 400km), from Alberta to BC. I understand that I can claim moving expenses on this year’s tax return, but am looking for further clarity on what is acceptable. We plan to hire a moving company and will be driving two vehicles ourselves, but may need to make multiple trips (all within a month of each other). We understand we can claim all the expenses for the moving company, mileage for our vehicles and meals (day of moving). I assume that cleaning costs prior to moving out will also be fine.

We would appreciate any guidance on the following topics:

We will need to complete a home inspection trip (prior to moving) in the new location. Would that trip (mileage/accommodations) also be eligible to claim? We might be actually able to haul/move a few items on this first trip to make it more legitimate.
If we have to make a final ‘clean/up’ and handover trip (back to our original Alberta residence), will the mileage and expenses for that trip be allowed?
Are all vehicle registration and inspection costs in the new province (BC) eligible to be deducted?
If we are renting in our current location, but buying a house in the new location, can we deduct legal fees for purchasing a new home?

Are there any items or services that would seem logical/fair to claim that will not be allowed by the CRA? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
6 replies
[OP]
Jan 30, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you. I am aware of those links, but unfortunately they are more generic in nature and not detailing some of the finer details I am hoping to get some help with. I appreciate you sharing, nonetheless.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7836 posts
1015 upvotes
I think all of that can be deductible, but just save receipts, it's probably going to be checked since it'll be a high amount.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4333 posts
3916 upvotes
Ottawa
As any expenses related to a house hunting trip cannot be claimed, I doubt that you can claim a home inspection trip. Hauling a few more items on that trip would not make it more legitimate. CRA clearly distinguishes between a house hunting trip and an actual move.

I also doubt that you can claim a trip for a final clean up. It is really easy to arrange to have the home cleaned by a reputable company. There would be little need for you to return to the home for that purpose.

Yes, vehicle registration and inspection costs should be eligible.

The question of renting first and then buying and claiming the expenses when buying really depends on how long you are renting.

The best advice is to make sure that you keep every receipt and mileage logs of any expenses you plan to claim. Moving expenses are one of the primary claims that are reviewed and audited by the CRA.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2006 posts
1790 upvotes
Ottawa
For the renting then purchasing question, you might want to consult a CPA.
Cost of buying the new home if you or your spouse or common-law partner sold your old home because of your move.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... educt.html

I doubt that inspection trips would be allowed.

Costs to change your vehicle license and registration are:
replacing driving licences and non-commercial vehicle permits (not including insurance)
[OP]
Jan 30, 2017
8 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks everyone for the input and responses. We really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience!