Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 11, 2014
87 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa

Moving to the States - Bringing Car from Canada

Wondering if anyone can give any advice on how to bring a Car registered in Canada to the US?
Not sure what state we would move to but there is one added thing the Car was actually a US import into Canada. Not sure if that makes it easier or harder?
Thanks
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Contact US CBP: .. You can ask your question via email ( https://help.cbp.gov/app/ask) or by calling 1-877-CBP-5511

My initial opinion is that you do not need to do anything as the vehicle had already been titled/registered previously in US (was the title clear?).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7135 posts
4042 upvotes
Ottawa
As eldiablo said, call CBP and ask them. If you are only going temporarily (e.g snowbird, student, TN, etc) you might not need to import it although you need to check with your Canadian insurance as well (they might not let you keep the insurance if you aren't in Canada).

If you do end importing, with a US exported car, I believe the re-import process is easier as I don't think you have to show US compliance but you'd want to confirm that with CBP as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
202 upvotes
Should be moving to the US later this summer and will be importing two vehicles, one was originally a US car.

Based on research I did for the state of Florida, there is no emissions testing, no certification required. Seems like all I need to do is get the import forms at the border, and then pay taxes at the DMV when changing the title over.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2014
87 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
Great information, really appreciate all the responses. I will check with the CBP, but sounds pretty straight forward :-)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
179 upvotes
Western Montreal
eldiablo wrote: Contact US CBP: .. You can ask your question via email ( https://help.cbp.gov/app/ask) or by calling 1-877-CBP-5511

My initial opinion is that you do not need to do anything as the vehicle had already been titled/registered previously in US (was the title clear?).
Do NOT use the email option unless you are prepared to wait months for an answer. I asked a relatively straightforward question in the 1st week of December 2014 and got the answer 3 weeks ago.