• Aug 11th, 2020 9:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15485 posts
16721 upvotes

Moving Threads Between Expired Deals and Hot Deals

Hello Site Staff,

I'd like to inquire on how best to communicate the movement of threads from Expired Deals to Hot Deals.

Developments in supply chain, JiT, and IT systems are creating a situation among some retailers... Amazon.ca top among them... where stock is intermittent. That is, inventory will flair in and out of stock based on algorithmic decisions and with minimum human involvement.

For example, I can only report my first post once, for a revived deal (i.e. when it's my own thread) after which I cannot re-report.

Case in point: The Amazon.ca Hisense H8Q (Q8G) 55" [2020] TV Thread.

What are your thoughts?

Regards,

RFDGuy
7 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
If you’re the OP, you can move threads back and forth yourself using the expire button. No need to report or contact a moderator.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15485 posts
16721 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: If you’re the OP, you can move threads back and forth yourself using the expire button. No need to report or contact a moderator.
I'm very satisfied with this solution.

Thank you, Tom.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
bylo wrote: Where is this button? I looked in the OP and don't see it.

P.S. Any comment re this related question: What's the official RFD policy on "pre-order" items as Hot Deals?
Were you the OP of the thread you looked for it on? It's a feature only available for the person who shared the deal. On a computer it's a file icon and on mobile it's available in the 3-dot menu.

I'll take a look at the other thread soon.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20711 posts
14544 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TomRFD wrote: Were you the OP of the thread you looked for it on?
Yes.
It's a feature only available for the person who shared the deal. On a computer it's a file icon and on mobile it's available in the 3-dot menu.
My aged eyes. I first looked in the red bar and it said "Already reported." That's not clickable. When I looked at the bottom right the icon is so small it looked like the delete icon.

Now that I see it, when I click it I'm getting "CONFIRM Are you sure you want to expire this thread?" If I click No, nothing happens. If I click Yes, it confirms it's expired, i.e. again nothing happens, This thread was moved by a Mod to Expired so maybe that's the difference.
I'll take a look at the other thread soon.
Thanks.
veni, vidi, Visa
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
bylo wrote: Now that I see it, when I click it I'm getting "CONFIRM Are you sure you want to expire this thread?" If I click No, nothing happens. If I click Yes, it confirms it's expired, i.e. again nothing happens, This thread was moved by a Mod to Expired so maybe that's the difference.
Ignore the text when "unexpiring" as the system was created to only expire threads (it'll give that "Are you sure you want to expire..." message regardless of which way the thread is being moved). It was initially designed to only expire threads, but I realized it could be beneficial to move threads both ways so I made that change.

It should work regardless of what a moderator did previously so if you find it doesn't, please let me know. Feel free to give it a test on any older deal you've posted.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20711 posts
14544 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TomRFD wrote: Ignore the text when "unexpiring" as the system was created to only expire threads (it'll give that "Are you sure you want to expire..." message regardless of which way the thread is being moved). It was initially designed to only expire threads, but I realized it could be beneficial to move threads both ways so I made that change.

It should work regardless of what a moderator did previously so if you find it doesn't, please let me know. Feel free to give it a test on any older deal you've posted.
Thank you. I see that it did work.
veni, vidi, Visa