• Feb 8th, 2019 1:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes

Moving to the USA - Hyundai warranty?

I bought a new Hyundai in 2013 (almost 2 years ago exactly) and am moving down to the States for work. I'll be bringing my car with me and importing it/registering it down there. I'm curious as to how warranty repairs would work; could I get repairs done in the USA and have them submit expenses to Hyundai Canada? I'm really hoping my non-out-of-pocket option isn't just to drive to Canada for repairs.

I looked around and most Google results talk about people bringing American cars into Canada as a Canadian citizen and trying to exploit the price difference. Is this the same as my situation even though I bought the car in Canada as a Canadian, used it for a couple of years, and am bringing it down south as part of a personal move?
25 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Since Hyundai voids warranties the other way around (from USA - Canada), I would expect them to void it the other way around.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5889 posts
2135 upvotes
Space
Warranty will be tied to the country you purchased it from. Try calling Hyundai Canada to see if they will accommodate but I doubt they wil do anything.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
Call the Hyundai dealer in the US near where you'll be and ask.

They might be able to help you since the US is a much larger market than Canada.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2417 posts
1064 upvotes
GTA
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Call the Hyundai dealer in the US near where you'll be and ask.

They might be able to help you since the US is a much larger market than Canada.
Most cars are valid on both sides, I remember reading that for my Kia. Basically covered why you are traveling on vacation in the States. What they don't like is when you buy and export right away. I would bet that it is still valid. but as mentioned call Hyundai Canada.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10094 posts
8109 upvotes
Kootenays
wackojacko wrote: Most cars are valid on both sides, I remember reading that for my Kia. Basically covered why you are traveling on vacation in the States. What they don't like is when you buy and export right away. I would bet that it is still valid. but as mentioned call Hyundai Canada.
I've called Hyundai Canada and asked. USA bought Hyundai does not have any warranty in Canada. I don't know about the other way around. And actually, very few warranties are valid on both sides. Honda isn't, Hyundai isn't, Chrysler isn't.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2417 posts
1064 upvotes
GTA
smacd wrote: I've called Hyundai Canada and asked. USA bought Hyundai does not have any warranty in Canada. I don't know about the other way around. And actually, very few warranties are valid on both sides. Honda isn't, Hyundai isn't, Chrysler isn't.
I guess one option is to keep your Canadian plates and put them on when you need warranty work in the states and pretend your on vacation I know that is covered. I was under the impression that the voiding of warranties has to do with the cross border shopping and preventing us from buy cars in the States.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4637 posts
2497 upvotes
I'm curious as to what is stopping you from selling your car and buying a new one in the US?

Anyways, I think for Honda, they USUALLY do not honour warranties cross border (to discourage cross-border car shopping I guess) but if you can provide proof that you have permanently moved since buying your car they do allow warranty cross over.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17268 posts
15057 upvotes
GTA, ON
I doubt they will honour your Canadian warranty in the USA, if anything they'll void it completely.

You can always try threatening by saying you will never buy Hyundai/Kia again and you'll Twitter/Facebook your poor customer service, but that won't likely give you any leverage either.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Mar 27, 2012
79 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
As ilove had stated: Why not just sell your car here, and buy another one in the States?

Cars are MUCH cheaper. And if you're moving down to the States for work, your salary will more than compensate for the difference.

You also won't have to deal with the hassle of a Canadian VIN vs. USA VIN, and the US vs. Canadian auto insurance, etc etc.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes
variance88 wrote: As ilove had stated: Why not just sell your car here, and buy another one in the States?

Cars are MUCH cheaper. And if you're moving down to the States for work, your salary will more than compensate for the difference.

You also won't have to deal with the hassle of a Canadian VIN vs. USA VIN, and the US vs. Canadian auto insurance, etc etc.
The decision has already been made but my reasoning:

1) My car has depreciated 33% already in price
2) The same model new/slightly used in California is significantly more than what I can sell my car for
3) Import headaches are dealt with by a shipper
4) I'll just register in Cali and get insurance there
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes
Just called Hyundai Canada, they said warranty is transferrable by calling Hyundai America. Called Hyundai America, they said they currently have no way of entering the VIN # to register the warranty, and are escalating it higher to see what should be done. Customer service rep offered 2 common options:

1) USA dealer submits paperwork to Hyundai Canada
2) "goodwill", customer pays for USA work and submits to Hyundai Canada
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2770 posts
391 upvotes
Mississauga
My friend who brought his kia [same for Hyundai] moved to new york had to drive back accross the boarder to get his warranty done. If not it had to get it fixed out of his pocket.

I know for you California is a long drive and is not possible to drive back.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10094 posts
8109 upvotes
Kootenays
variance88 wrote: As ilove had stated: Why not just sell your car here, and buy another one in the States?

The 77 cent Canadian $ will make up the difference in price pretty quickly! Looks like Hyundai USA is trying to work with OP, so I'd say let them run with it. Maybe you'll get 10 years like Americans get!
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes
smacd wrote: The 77 cent Canadian $ will make up the difference in price pretty quickly! Looks like Hyundai USA is trying to work with OP, so I'd say let them run with it. Maybe you'll get 10 years like Americans get!
Shouldn't the currency exchange be the other way around in order for the sell then buy to make sense for me? Otherwise I'd be losing even more money if I didn't keep my car.

Anyways yes it seems like HMA is escalating, however I am semi expecting to just be ignored. I'll call in a week or so to follow up.
Mar 27, 2012
79 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
fred2028 wrote: Shouldn't the currency exchange be the other way around in order for the sell then buy to make sense for me? Otherwise I'd be losing even more money if I didn't keep my car.

Anyways yes it seems like HMA is escalating, however I am semi expecting to just be ignored. I'll call in a week or so to follow up.
It's up to you.

Personally - and having experienced living abroad in the United States for 12 years - I would just sell the car here, and fly over to purchase a car.

I looked into transferring my car at the time, and it just wasn't worth it. American and Canadian systems don't talk to each other for 99% of the time.

Also, check with Auto Insurance. I know when I moved down to Georgia, they didn't even take into consideration my previous 7 years of driving history. I Had to re-write the written exam and driver's test within a day to get a Driver's License. Auto Insurance is dirt cheap in the States, so I wasn't worried about that.

Good luck with your move, and let us know what direction you take and how it goes. Your experience would enlighten many of us, and those who are considering to do what you're doing.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2001
2049 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kinda curious how this turned out OP, any updates?
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes
fred2028 wrote: Hi, I'm bringing my car to the local CBP tomorrow and registering it next Wednesday, will update!
Update: Brought my paperwork to the local CBP and was done in about 30-45 minutes, duty free. Car is now imported and just awaiting emissions and DMV. Will follow up on Hyundai warranty when I get a chance.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
586 posts
24 upvotes
Update: Just dropped the car off at a Hyundai dealer in the Bay Area. They called Canada and was able to get the warranty information; they are now keeping the car for a rattling issue I've been having and said would be able to fix it under warranty if covered.

Also passed emissions, so I got that going for me which is nice.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)