Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton

Moving vent!~~~ ;-(

So today we moved. I understand the people in our new house had until 6pm thursday to be out..we were ready to go by noon, (hoping) they would be gone... well its 5:45 & they were still there......Censored so that means we had less time to move the little things in our car...whatever......

the house was FILTHY...i mean i know they had kids but really, vacum up the dog hair, run a broom over the floor.....pick up your dogs crap from the yard.... (Laundry room had big sopping water spill,(on carpet) Fuming now we have to rip it out..not a big deal, gonna do it anyway, (who has carpet in a laundry room???)

the master bed fan & light does NOT work...& there is red tape over the central vac plug....WTF??? should i mention this to my realtor? gonna see if its working first.

oh...& there is only ONE phone jack for a 3 story house....WOW
The heating ducts are FILTHY..full of hair ,dust, kids toys , coins,sticks...etc

I dunno bout people...we still have our old house for a wk & i plan on cleaning it from top to bottom b.c its the DECENT thing to do.

end of rant~~~ ;-)
20 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1319 posts
292 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Did you have the home inspected before you purchased your new home?
Was there a clause/agreement that everything has to be in working condition and cleaned when you buy the house?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4231 posts
1019 upvotes
GTA
Check if your lawyer held any money back for tax adjustments and/or potential issues. You could take pictures of everything and ask if you can charge the cleanup/repair costs to the money held back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
thanks...yes i had it inspected. just emailed my realtor.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7240 posts
2826 upvotes
GTA
sonic wrote: the master bed fan & light does NOT work...& there is red tape over the central vac plug....WTF??? should i mention this to my realtor? gonna see if its working first.

oh...& there is only ONE phone jack for a 3 story house....WOW
The heating ducts are FILTHY..full of hair ,dust, kids toys , coins,sticks...etc
Do contact the realtor-by email so its documented. Ask your realtor for advice, ask if you should contact your lawyer or can the 2 realtors have these issues resolved. Not many home owners would transfer a house in that state of repair...if anything the owner would attempt to hide problems-not put RED tape over a plug.

Guessing the people who moved out were renters-give the home seller 1 chance to fix these issues. Bedroom light could just be a tripped circuit breaker...but why is it tripped? That red tape on an outlet needs explanation-don't just plug in to see if its working.

Ask the seller for reasonable cleaning costs, change your furnace filter this morning.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
im not gonna try seeing if it works. when we had the home inspection we tested the 'DOWNSTAIRS" central air plug & it worked.
I also could have swore we saw the fan in working order. i really HATE moving!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
24724 posts
14288 upvotes
Toronto
These kind of things happen. People are so different. Ranting is probably about all you can do. My last move, the sellers were great. They hired cleaners to give the house a complete cleaning after moving their furniture out. We bumped into the cleaners at the final inspection. All we had to do was move in. The move previous to that, on possession date, we met up with the venders who were still moving out at 5:00pm. Needless to say, we took possession of an extremely dirty house.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1246 posts
235 upvotes
Aurora, ON
sonic wrote: there is red tape over the central vac plug....WTF???
sounds like a CVAC rough-in for me, that was done by originally by the builder. check the garage, you probably don't yet have a central vac :)
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
62 upvotes
Heh. our house was empty for 2 months before we moved into it. The grass was overgrown by then, so we told our realtor. The owns only mowed the front :( It was waist high in the back. And there was lots of crap everywhere. We had to get a dumpster to remove all of the crap left behind. Ahh well.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9051 posts
2348 upvotes
Well at least the single phone jack shouldn't be that big of an issue, unless you really don't want to use cordless phones.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
2270 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
meh... You're not alone

The last house i bought, the people hadn't cleaned up after their dog in the back yard for years. They at least used a broom on the floors, but left the piles of dirt all over the place... In one pile i found an old hot-dog when i was sweeping it up. They took the mirrors out of the bathrooms even though they weren't supposed to, removed outside light fixtures, it was really something.

The best part was they left the wrong keys with the lawyer. They then came to the house to confirm they were the wrong keys and opened up my garage door with the remote they kept. Had to get the lawyers to read them the riot act regarding the garage door openers since they wouldn't give them to me, the key they gave was for a door in the garage (never provided the front door key). They also left about 10 bags of garbage in the garage. Luckily i found out where they moved to and dropped them off for them.
Because you touch yourself at night
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4743 posts
2003 upvotes
WFH
This is not that unusual. It happened to us on our last move as well. The previous owner was only about half way through moving at the 6pm deadline and when I asked him why he wasn't gone he shrugged and said "What to you expect? We've been here for 10 years?". Apparently they were still going well into the night and needless to say the place wasn't particularly clean. They had tried to DIY the move with the help of family, a couple of pickups and a utility trailer and completely under esimated the time and effort required.

I've subsequently discovered that the move wasn't the full extent of their DIY efforts :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
gizmo8 wrote: sonic that end pipe sometimes people vent outside...the owner probably was too lazy to do so....
that pipe has 1 inch FOAM insullating inside....i dunno what will happen if i try turning it on? :(
Dec 18, 2006
116 posts
69 upvotes
Ajax
sonic wrote: that pipe has 1 inch FOAM insullating inside....i dunno what will happen if i try turning it on? :(
It looks to be the exhaust pipe and the insulation acts as a muffler to reduce sound. I have one on mine and it does make it slightly less noisy. It's come off several times and nothing bad happens. It's just louder.
Jul 28, 2008
676 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
Awww it sucks to hear those stories. Some people... We had mostly good luck with our home purchase - the place was completely spotless, everything was in perfect state of repair (the house was less than a year old though), but the sellers left us a crap set of CVAC attachments, instead of the ones that came with the unit and were in the house when we viewed it. There wasn't much we could do, but just that one things alone put a shadow over an otherwise wonderful experience with the sellers. Oh, and they never gave us the mailbox keys. I requested Canada Post to change the locks, they never did. I found the mailbox keys in an envelope in the cupboard above the fridge a week later.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9470 posts
1604 upvotes
Just dirty I can live with it... hopefully nothing really bad is hidden... ie mold in attic... vents covered in attice... all vents are properly open. Wiring is loaded correctly... etc. Dirt is easy to clean... good luck with your move!
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25097 posts
2283 upvotes
Markham, ON
i thought this thread was about how to move the "vent(s)"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5074 posts
4763 upvotes
GTA
thelefteyeguy wrote: i thought this thread was about how to move the "vent(s)"
You didnt read the first post - the vents need to be moved, but they were filthy, full of hair, toys etc....and the post got sidetracked after...wonder if the heating vents need to be moved or plumbing venting vents?
If you go for viewing or open house and you see crap everywhere, see that they keep animals inside etc. what do you expect? Miracle to happen and shine the place top to bottom?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
Just an update....I STILL have not tried the central vac...(i will get around to it) too busy painting & filling in holes. Now we have a MOUSE problem!
Ive noticed there are a few places in the soffit/facia board where they may be getting in. also there are 2 Large trees where they can probably climb to get access to the roof...or can mice climb brick houses?
I plan on trimming those trees, they are way too close to the house.

any suggestions on HOW to get rid of mice, i dont want to use poisen b/c they may climb into a duct & die....(stinky)

;-(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)