• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 11:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes

Moving Water Heater

During my basement reno, my electrician has informed me that I will need to move my HWT to pass inspection.

The tank is a rental, what I fail to understand is how the house passed inspection in the first place.

The house is almost 3 years old, can I get the builders to fix this as a defect? If not shouldn't it be the installers responsibility at there expense?

Lastly instead of moving the HWT i am thinking of getting the electrician to move the panel instead since its being replaced anyways, does not sound reasonable?
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11965 posts
7129 upvotes
Paris
JonSnow wrote: During my basement reno, my electrician has informed me that I will need to move my HWT to pass inspection.

The tank is a rental, what I fail to understand is how the house passed inspection in the first place.

The house is almost 3 years old, can I get the builders to fix this as a defect? If not shouldn't it be the installers responsibility at there expense?

Lastly instead of moving the HWT i am thinking of getting the electrician to move the panel instead since its being replaced anyways, does not sound reasonable?
New renos sometimes must adhere to new codes. If your house is 3 years old, the permit could easily be 4-5 years older than that so the code your house follows could be from 2012. Houses being built near me are using 2015 codes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
Without knowing which code the house was built on, i suspect the problem I have isn't do to new code, from what i'm told the tank is to close to the panel. Moving it would be a major pain and completely ruin the layout of the furnace room.

I'm sure it would cost an arm, I had chatted with the rental company for a larger tank and there prices are totally unreasonable.

Wonder if i can use this to get out of the rental contract?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: Face With Tears Of Joy Moving the panel. You don't realize what's involved. Among other things you would need to pay Hydro to disconnect ($1200???). And it's not possible because about half the wires on one side of the panel would be too short. The labor cost would be high.

Regarding your problem. It is always like that when you do reno. What was acceptable (code) then is not anymore.
Panel is getting upgraded anyways and i was told the city would disconnect power. As far as i tell the location i'm thinking, cable length shouldn't be that much of an issue.

My thinking is why move the HWT if i can get the panel moved when it get upgraded, its one less change i have to deal with.