• May 12th, 2020 9:23 pm
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
322 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto

MPAC reassessment

Just received a notice of reassessment from MPAC and I am a bit confused

I purchased the house late summer 2019 and received a few weeks later a notice from MPAC showing the 2012 and 2016 assessed values.

This notice I just received seems to be due to renovation the former owner did in 2018 (including a storey addition). I am surprised that it took them over 2 years to actually reassess and have a few questions.

This new notice includes values for 2012 and 2016 that are different from the previous notice received. As the reno only took place in 2018, how can they actually increase value before that date? It does not make any sense to me!

The notice also indicates a change to property assessment for the 2018-2020 tax years - which makes more sense. That said, does that mean I will likely be reasessed by the city for these tax years or this is only going to be applied going forward?
1 reply
Aug 25, 2005
600 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
I used a company called After-Tax to get my assessment reduced. They only work on contingency fee i.e. you pay their fees if they can get your assessment reduced. Look up their website for details.