Automotive

Mr.Lube: Do I really need to do these extra things?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2016 10:55 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1246 posts
71 upvotes
Vaughan

Mr.Lube: Do I really need to do these extra things?

First off please don't make fun of me for going to Mr.Lube.
Anyway, just went for an oil change on my 08 TSX after pulling it out for the summer (even though they're calling for snow tomorrow night in the GTA) and I watched them change the oil and the oil was very low and pasty so I defiantly needed to be done.
Aside from the oil change, they told me to flush my engine which I've been declining every time I come here. They've also been telling me to flush my transmission because it's a manual car and it's a low and the gears will grind. As you can probably tell I don't know anything about cars and I go there for the convenience but I've been declining everything for the past couple of years . Should I be getting these done once in a while?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9522 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Engine flush is just a fancy term for saying they'll dump some cleaning agent into the engine cavity when they do the oil change. For the most part, if you've been doing regular oil changes, this shouldn't be needed and assuming it is, a "dump in" engine cleaner is almost never really that effective.

As far as the transmission fluid, consult your owner's manual for the recommended intervals. Without knowing your vehicle's service record it's impossible for us to say whether it's needed or not. The owner's manual is a great resource for people who are not familiar with cars as it names all the general services your vehicle will require and usually at what mileage or time intervals these should be done.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3990 upvotes
Toronto
They call it mr lube because your butt hole will need lots of lube after driving into their garage
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25544 posts
4663 upvotes
No. Oil change places don't make money on oil changes, they make money on the extra services. They will always try to upsell other services and have 100 reasons why you need to get it done. Always decline.

To determine what needs doing, consult your owners manual, then take it to the dealer or a mechanic you trust to get that work done.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1781 posts
460 upvotes
TORONTO
Don't bother with the 'flush your engine' waste of money.
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
407 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
They told me my manual transmission on my old sunfire was leaking. They wanted to service. I made myself very clear they are not to touch it because i knew the gm stick shifts are lifetime units. Took it to my mechanic. He confirmed. Also no leak. Dont go to mr lube. My mechanic does oil changes for $40(napa autopro). And hes an awesome dude. Thats less than mr lube charges and he doesnt lie to me. You just cant drive in whenever. Its worth it to schedule it
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Sparky9087 wrote: They told me my manual transmission on my old sunfire was leaking. They wanted to service. I made myself very clear they are not to touch it because i knew the gm stick shifts are lifetime units. Took it to my mechanic. He confirmed. Also no leak. Dont go to mr lube. My mechanic does oil changes for $40(napa autopro). And hes an awesome dude. Thats less than mr lube charges and he doesnt lie to me. You just cant drive in whenever. Its worth it to schedule it
Second for Napa, I go to our local mechanic for Napa as well and the rates are very reasonable with no up-selling. The added benefit is they warranty all of their parts and service performed on your vehicle, and if you're out of town and you experience an issue that falls under their warranty, you can attend at an Napa that may be near you at that time. I know much of the service itself comes from having a trustworthy mechanic in itself, but the Napa name and what it offers you in addition is a nice touch as well.

They'll also keep records of the service on your vehicle, and as time goes on they will have a "history" and will then be able to recommend any major interval servicing that needs to be done based on the current condition of the vehicle and their work history.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8554 posts
2328 upvotes
Mississauga
marcodt wrote: First off please don't make fun of me for going to Mr.Lube.
Anyway, just went for an oil change on my 08 TSX after pulling it out for the summer (even though they're calling for snow tomorrow night in the GTA) and I watched them change the oil and the oil was very low and pasty so I defiantly needed to be done.
Aside from the oil change, they told me to flush my engine which I've been declining every time I come here. They've also been telling me to flush my transmission because it's a manual car and it's a low and the gears will grind. As you can probably tell I don't know anything about cars and I go there for the convenience but I've been declining everything for the past couple of years . Should I be getting these done once in a while?
Follow your owners manual and you will be fine. Oil change places need to do more than just oil changes to survive. Some are good and only upsell what the customer needs and some upsell items that aren't needed. The trick is finding one that does follow the owners manual.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16886 posts
7179 upvotes
Without knowing anything about your vehicle, I can certainly tell you that many manual transmission fluids have a lifespan and when they slowly degrade you sometimes do not notice the performance decrease. But, when you drain and refill the unit, you immediately notice a big difference. This can be even more noticeable when the person before you used the wrong fluid (lesser quality than OEM, etc.).

I would check your owners manual to see when your manual transmission fluid needs to be changed. The engine flush will not appear in your owners manual, I don't think any recommend that. But changing out your manual transmission fluid should appear.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6230 posts
2511 upvotes
Canuckland
PLEASE read your owner's manual!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1448 posts
540 upvotes
YYC
I use to worked at Mr Lube when I was a teen.. They get a commission every time they sell you any kinda flush lol