Tags:
None
24 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
Frost is one very crooked individual. Check out the story on The Star. It revealed even more. The transcript in the article is very disturbing.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... =News/News
In a phone call to Danton in a California jail in the spring of 2004, taped by the FBI, Frost tells Danton to ``show emotion" so he can get psychiatric counselling instead of facing a jury.

He then instructs him to deny that he owed Frost money ``so it takes away their motive."

Frost advises him to blame his emotional problems on his estranged parents. The conversation ends in an unusual exchange between an agent and his client.

``Hey, Mike. Listen ... do I have to worry about my safety any more?" says Frost, who still denies he was the target of Danton's botched contract killing.

``No, you don't," Danton replies. ``I got to go."

``Okay, do you love me?" Frost asks. When Danton says yes, Frost presses him: ``Say it."

``I love you," Danton says.

``Do you?"

``Yeah," is Danton's reply.
There wasn't too many doubt that Frost was behind a lot of things when the story first broke last year. They just couldn't pin anything solid on him. It seems like Danton has been exploited, however way you want to imagine
[OP]
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
NDman wrote:Frost is one very crooked individual. Check out the story on The Star. It revealed even more. The transcript in the article is very disturbing.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... =News/News

There wasn't too many doubt that Frost was behind a lot of things when the story first broke last year. They just couldn't pin anything solid on him. It seems like Danton has been exploited, however way you want to imagine
Frost is also the agent of a couple other NHL players whom are also estranged from their families.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11506 posts
4721 upvotes
Ottawa
This is just sick man. I know this is very much a *grey* area but abuse in junior hockey has seemed to surface a lot lately.

Thoughts folks ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Frost continued to exert enormous influence over Mike Danton even after the NHL player was charged with conspiring to kill him.

* INDEPTH: The Mike Danton Case

Mike Danton was sentenced to 7 1/2 years in a federal prison. (AP Photo)

Recordings of jailhouse phone conversations obtained by the fifth estate are among the many new disturbing details revealed in the saga of Danton and his longtime agent and former coach Frost.

Rogue Agent, which airs on CBC Television Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET, follows the intertwining story of Frost and Danton from when the latter was an aspiring 10-year-old player named Mike Jefferson, to the present.

Danton was sentenced to 7 1/2 years in prison Nov. 8, 2004, in connection with a murder-for-hire plot that targeted Frost.

The documentary includes recorded communication between Frost and Danton just one week after the St. Louis Blues' forward was indicted on federal charges of engaging in an interstate conspiracy to commit murder.

Despite being the alleged target at the time and telling the FBI just days earlier that Danton owed him money, Frost is heard in the phone conversations advising the imprisoned player to counter the suggestion of a motive by telling the authorities that all monies were paid up.

He also implores the 23-year-old to stress to psychiatrists the toll that was taken witnessing violence and alcohol abuse in his childhood home.

At the end of the conversation, Frost asks, "OK, you love me?" "Yeah," Danton says.

"Say it," Frost demands.

"I love you."

For their part, Steve and Sue Jefferson tell fifth estate host Bob McKeown that Frost cultivated and maintained a Svengali-like grasp on their son from a young age.

"I was suspicious from day one with the actions of Dave and how Michael was changing," Sue Jefferson says.

The Jeffersons reveal for the first time how their then-13-year-old son Tom was allegedly victimized while on a cottage trip with Frost, Danton and other teens.

On that trip, they say their son was photographed duct-taped to a bed naked.

They also allege during the same trip that members of the group forced Tom to eat pancakes that had been spit on and climb a tree while a pellet gun was pointed at him.

The Jeffersons became estranged from their older son Mike and he eventually changed his surname to Danton.

After a difficult tenure in New Jersey, Danton caught on as a role player with the St. Louis Blues. But while things appeared smooth on ice, the relationship between player and agent soured at some point during the 2003-04 season.

The documentary reveals Danton's unsuccessful first attempt at recruiting a hitman. In several recorded cellphone messages, he is heard imploring a St. Louis strip club bouncer named Ron Jones to help him out, detailing exactly when the intended target would be alone at his home.

While Jones didn't return Danton's calls, 19-year-old acquaintance Katie Wolfmeyer did. Prosecutors alleged that Wolfmeyer put Danton in touch with acquaintance Justin Levi Jones, who was offered the same $10,000 US amount as the bouncer to kill Frost.

Levi Jones, a police dispatcher from Columbia, Ill., pretended to accept Danton's offer, but had revealed the plot to his police chief, who in turn contacted the FBI.

Wolfmeyer was acquitted of two felony counts of conspiring and using a telephone across state lines to organize a murder in September 2004.

After Danton's arrest, Frost asks him in one of their conversations why he was targeted.

"I just wanted ****ing to do things you know and things weren't ****ing good between that person and it was like there was no other way," Danton says after several attempts at trying to explain, though it is not clear who "that person" is.

McKeown catches up with Frost at a minor hockey rink in Pembroke, Ont. Despite being confronted with the existence of the prison recordings, Frost scoffs at the notion that he was the target.

"You'll see, you'll see and it's a much bigger story than you think. It's because the FBI lied. They lied. And when we expose them for what they did," Frost says, adding that Danton cannot expose the U.S. government until he is back on Canadian soil.

Danton, now 25, is in a New Jersey federal prison, awaiting response to an application to be transferred.
Jul 11, 2003
156 posts
36 upvotes
I wonder why the parents weren't more involved while Danton was a young kid.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2004
1800 posts
15 upvotes
when i heard the end of the phone conversation i too was floored... quite a disturbing revelation!
Heatware: 40-0-0
Banned
Apr 25, 2005
3425 posts
4 upvotes
I've known for a long time that David Frost has manipulate Danton from the very beginning. It's not a coincidence that the other players he represents are also estranged from their families. Frost deserves be in jail and Mike Danton should be undergound treatment.
Feb 3, 2005
408 posts
1 upvote
Watched it last night...man, that is disturbing to say the least.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
1635 posts
1 upvote
Yeah that is really ****ed up man, these this not the only kid he ****ed. These two kids that I went to high school are the same things like Danton!!

Just too screwed!!!
Nov 1, 2005
604 posts
3 upvotes
The plot thickens...

Steve Jefferson (Mike's dad) was arrested by the OPP earlier today. Steve's wife and brother were on am 640 during Leafs lunch. They're guessing that Steve may have left some messages on David Frost's voice mail and Frost had him charged with harassment. The cops are taking him to Kingston and he's supposed to be let go around 4pm.
Banned
Apr 25, 2005
3425 posts
4 upvotes
Darn I missed Leafs Lunch. Steve was suppose to be on the show today. The Jeffersons hate Frost with a passion.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2480 posts
14 upvotes
Why put Frost in jail. Being locked up in a cage with a bunch of guys, sounds like heaven to him.

If you want somebody to blame, blame the parents. How could they not do anything before?
For their part, Steve and Sue Jefferson tell fifth estate host Bob McKeown that Frost cultivated and maintained a Svengali-like grasp on their son from a young age.

"I was suspicious from day one with the actions of Dave and how Michael was changing," Sue Jefferson says.

The Jeffersons reveal for the first time how their then-13-year-old son Tom was allegedly victimized while on a cottage trip with Frost, Danton and other teens.

On that trip, they say their son was photographed duct-taped to a bed naked.

They also allege during the same trip that members of the group forced Tom to eat pancakes that had been spit on and climb a tree while a pellet gun was pointed at him.
Nov 1, 2005
604 posts
3 upvotes
Here's and article from 1999 about Frost and his players. I lifted out of a blog so I couldn't provide a url.

[QUOTE]Wednesday, March 3, 1999
FROST AT THE CENTRE OF JUNIOR HOCKEY STORM BY STEVE SIMMONS
-- Toronto Sun

The many descriptions of David Frost offer a contradictory, confusing and controversial profile of the most whispered-about and mistrusted man in
Ontario hockey.

Cult figure. Intelligent. Cunning. Nurturing.

Manipulative. Ambitious. Controlling.

Exactly who is David Frost, this man behind the scenes? Why are so many people talking about him, and yet why are so few willing to be interviewed
about him?

"I don't care what the outside perception of me
is," Frost said in a meandering two-hour interview at his Brampton home. "I don't care what others think. I don't care who I piss off or who I step on. I don't believe in kissing ass. I didn't come into this business to make friends.

"I've heard the brainwash stuff, that I brainwash players. Maybe I have brainwashed them. You know how crazy that is? If I was that smart, I would brainwash 20 of them and we would go win the Stanley Cup. Brainwashing? When I hear that cult stuff, it makes me crazy."

The close connection between the 32-year-old Frost and four teenaged Ontario Hockey League players is the rage of arena talk inside the secretive world of junior hockey.

Frost is a former coach with a history of both success and trouble. Banned by the OHA and suspended by the MTHL, Frost now works independently in player development, referring clients to well-known agent Mike Gillis.

But it is Frost's relationship with Sheldon Keefe, Mike Jefferson, Ryan Barnes and Shawn Cation -- all players with the Barrie Colts -- that has caused so much consternation in hockey circles. Responsible for the development of these four junior clients, Frost
acts as part-coach, part-agent, part-parent -- roles he plays zealously.

"The guy is a lunatic," said Rob Ciccarelli, owner of the Sarnia Sting, who met Frost when Jefferson played for his team. "What worried me is he had a
cult-like attraction for the player. I have never in my history seen anything like that. The kid totally did everything that Frost said. It was shocking.

"It got to a point where Jefferson would look up
during games and take hand signals from Frost. During games, he was always looking up in the stands. It became a terrible situation. We didn't want to trade him, but we decided the best thing to do was part company."

"Hand signals?" Frost said in response. "I've heard that before. If I can coach from the crowd using hand signals I should be coaching third base for the Blue Jays."

That was only part of the Jefferson story while in Sarnia.

Jefferson was billeted in the home of Bonnie Gardner, a respected Sarnia bank manager. Over time, Gardner became concerned about the controlling nature of Frost's relationship with Jefferson. She informed Sting management of her concerns. The team then passed on the concerns to OHL commissioner David Branch, and an investigation was launched.

"There were concerns the behaviour was not normal," Branch said. "Sarnia had put me on notice of some concerns they had about Frost (not of a sexual
nature). We looked into them. What evolved were
demands for Jefferson to be transferred out of Sarnia. It seemed to be in everyone's best interest."

In the OHL investigation, Jefferson apparently was asked to write a letter to the league about his Sarnia situation. When Bonnie Gardner asked to see
the letter, a league representative told her: "You don't want to see what he wrote. It will upset you."

"Mike's a nice kid, but he changed when Frost was around," Gardner said. "To me, Frost's a scary person. I don't like him. I get a bad feeling about
him. I'm not afraid of him like a lot of people are. I've been doing this for a lot of years and I've never seen a situation like that before."

Frost claims there was no investigation into the Jefferson situation in Sarnia and claims no letter was written to the league.

"Mike Jefferson wanted out of Sarnia," Frost said. "We took the rap as the bad guys because we're his agents. You protect your player and you take the
grief. That's what agents do."

"Dave Frost," said Steve Jefferson, Mike's father, "is the best thing to ever happen to my kid."

CONTROLLING WAYS

A number of hockey people interviewed by The Toronto Sun expressed concern over Frost's controlling ways. Most of them, however, refused to discuss
the matter for attribution. "He has power over these kids," said one NHL scout, who requested anonymity. "Everybody knows about it and everybody is talking about it behind the scenes but nobody seems to want to do anything about it."

Said Frost, who is married with a young child: "I've heard it said I'm controlling these kids. But I won't apologize for it. If having too much influence means my players go to school, they maintain 75-plus averages, they work hard in games, they don't stay out at night, they never break curfew -- if that means too much influence, then I'm guilty.

"I know I'm a rebel and an intimidating person. People don't like that. They say, 'Dave, you can't act like that.' But you know something? With all
that's said about me, I've never had one person say something to my face."

Trouble has followed David Frost almost everywhere he has been in hockey.

After the 1993-94 season, the Ontario Hockey Association was prepared to suspend the entire Brampton junior franchise for what president Brent Ladds describes as "incredibly undisciplined and unruly play." The head coach was Frost. The team was spared suspension and put on probation only because it told the league that Frost would not return as coach.

"To this day, David Frost is persona non grata in the OHA," Ladds said. "If he ever wanted to coach in our league again, he would have to present himself before the board."

Frost even admits to having initiated a brawl prior to a Brampton-Milton playoff game. "The game before they had shot pucks in our end during the warmup. I told our guys, if one puck comes in our end, kick the s--t out of them. We did that."

He was smiling as he retold the story.

One season later, in 1995-96, Frost was suspended indefinitely by the Metropolitan Toronto Hockey League, now known as the Greater Toronto Hockey
League. In a letter dated Sept. 26, 1996, Frost was informed of his suspension "for being party to the falsification of documents." He was coaching the Toronto Red Wings at the time. Allegedly, the signature of Red Wings general manager Terry Weir was forged on player-release forms. The league found Frost guilty by association.

"I told my players early on that at the end of the season, I was going to release all of them, that they could go wherever they wanted," Frost said. "We won the bantam all-Ontario championships that year, and I followed through with what I said. I was told I didn't have the authority to (release the players).

"I didn't forge anyone's name on the release. I just wrote my name."

Frost contends he has filed a lawsuit against GTHL president John Gardner for comments made about him in a Toronto Star article last year relating to this situation. Gardner said he is not aware that Frost has filed a lawsuit against him or against his league.[/QUOTE]

continued...
Nov 1, 2005
604 posts
3 upvotes
contiuned from previous post

[QUOTE]Less than seven months after the MTHL suspension, in April 1997, Frost was an assistant coach with the Quinte Hawks of the Metro Junior Hockey League when he was charged with assaulting Darryl Tiveron, one of his own players, during a playoff game. The assault later was denied by the player, but two off-duty police officers say they witnessed the incident. Frost pleaded guilty to assault charges that summer.

"I had two choices," Frost said. "I could have gone to court and won, or I plead guilty and prevent all the kids on my team from having to go to court and testify. My lawyer went into chambers and came out and said, 'You plead guilty to grabbing and pointing at him, you pay $250 and you'll have no criminal record.' I decided to plead guilty, but I refuse to allow anyone to say I punched this kid when I did not."

For the record, Tiveron is playing hockey at an American university and continues to work for Frost at his Elite Hockey School.

QUINTE FOUR

At Quinte, Frost coached Jefferson, Barnes, Keefe
and Cation, the players who eventually would wind up together first on the St. Mike's Majors OHL team to start this season before being traded as a pack in a controversial deal to the Barrie Colts in January. Frost didn't only coach the players in Quinte, they lived in a hotel with him. The players became known as the Quinte Four. They did what Frost said, when he
said it.

"It was eerie," one St. Mike's source said. "It wasn't the kids speaking. It was Dave Frost speaking."

On the Majors television broadcasts on Rogers Cable, Jefferson asked to be an intermission guest one game after previously refusing. He went on between periods and all but swore his allegiance to Frost.

Darren Ferris, the director of Canadian operations for Woolf Associates, the player agency firm led by Bobby Orr, used to coach against Frost in the OHA. When St. Mike's made deals to acquire the Quinte Four, Ferris called the Majors to warn them.

"I told them, 'You just made a deal with the devil. Be very careful,' "Ferris said.

"Not surprised," Frost said in response. "Darren and I don't like each other."

Said someone very close to the Frost family: "Everybody complains about him and nothing is ever done."

There are so many other Frost stories.

One story has him dumping a garbage can over a bantam player's head after a game and telling the player he played like garbage. Frost's version? "I took a garbage can, walked over to the player and put it in front of him. It was Joe Goodenow, Bob's son. I told him, 'That's how you played tonight, like garbage.' I looked over at Bob. He nodded his head and agreed."

Goodenow, the executive director of the NHL Players' Association, is a strong supporter of Frost and a former coaching mentor. Some believe Goodenow's powerful place in the hockey world has prevented others from speaking out about Frost.

Another story: At a recent OHL game between the Barrie Colts and Oshawa Generals, Frost apparently entered the Civic Centre through the scout's entrance. According to the Generals, Frost allegedly signed in using the name of John Elkin, a part-time scout with the Calgary Flames. Upon learning of this, general manager Wayne Daniels chased down Frost and asked him to leave the building.

Frost denies signing in with someone else's name.

"Did Wayne Daniels tell you this? He and I don't get along.

"You want to know what happened? I walked in through the back door with John (Elkin)," Frost said. "I had tickets waiting for me at the front door. I always have tickets. I entered the arena without paying, that's what I did wrong. Next time I'll walk around to the front door and pick up my tickets."

Said Elkin, a friend of Frost: "I don't want anybody using my name."

This pattern of paranoia seems pertinent in Frost's hockey life.

After being interviewed for this story, Frost
called The Sun more than 15 times, and he put his network to work. His players, previously unavailable,
suddenly were available. Unsolicited calls came in from players' parents, former associates and general managers, as if a political campaign were being waged to bring a positive spin to Frost's reputation.

A few months ago, Frost told people he had interviewed for the vacant coaching job with the Mississauga Ice Dogs, a team owned by Don Cherry. In
the recent Sun interview, Frost again made references to the Mississauga job and said: "Don Cherry hates me." Since the Sun interview, Frost told The Sun he talked only to Dick Cherry, Don's brother.

Don Cherry says he doesn't know David Frost. "Unless he's someone I've shaken hands with, I don't know him," Cherry said. "I know he was telling people I interviewed him. But I don't know the guy at all. I wouldn't know him if I fell over him."

Another problem that had to be straightened out was Frost's relationship with the Detroit Red Wings. Ryan Barnes, one of Frost's players, was drafted by the Wings. When Wings scout Joe McDonnell went to speak to Barnes in an arena one night this season, Frost
intervened. Words were exchanged.

SENSATIONAL SEASON

"When we have to talk about Ryan Barnes now, we deal with Mike Gillis," Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill said. "That's all I would like to say."

The best of the Frost players in Barrie is Sheldon Keefe, who is having a sensational season, having passed the 100-point mark as a rookie. And yet teams already are concerned about him. One NHL general manager said he felt sorry for Keefe because "Frost is going to hurt his draft position."

Keefe plans to have Frost sit beside him at the NHL draft in June, no matter what others may think.

"He has been the biggest influence in my career," Keefe said in a rare interview on Frost. "He taught me how to play the game.

"To be honest, I think there's a lot of jealousy out there. A lot of people don't like that he has had success. I know what he has done for me ...Being labelled as one of his guys, I wouldn't want anything else."

Gillis, for one, can't understand all the fuss that surrounds Frost. While Gillis is quick to say that Frost doesn't work for him, he does support him. Frost said he makes a healthy living from operating his Elite Hockey School and by giving private hockey lessons.

"Take a look at Sheldon Keefe," Gillis said. "He's an 80-plus student OAC, it's his first year, he'll finish with more than 50 goals and 125 points. The kid is an example we should be holding up of what we want in the OHL."

The situation at St. Mike's has calmed considerably since Frost's four players were sent to Barrie. Why were they dealt en masse? General manager Mark Napier said he was concerned about the influence Frost had over the four boys but would not elaborate.

"These kids have invested their hockey futures with Dave Frost," Napier said. "I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'm just saying they've done it. We had some issues (with them), issues I would rather not talk about."

And so on it goes -- concern, silence and disgust from his enemies, and absolute allegiance from his supporters.

"Success breeds jealousy," Frost said. "I kind of like the controversy, as long as I know what I'm doing is best for the player. I don't care who I rub the wrong way. I'm not about to change. Not for anybody."
[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2004
1133 posts
I saw the fifth estate yesterday, the whole episode was quite distrubing... I can't believe that Frost isn't behind bars after all those years of trouble he has been causing.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
Are they going to repeat lastnight's Fifth Estate? I missed it. I was occupied with Lost and the Leaf game.