Computers & Electronics

Ms office 2016 home and student transferable if HD crashes?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2017 3:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1790 posts
284 upvotes

Ms office 2016 home and student transferable if HD crashes?

So, I want to buy ms office 2016 at thesource.ca , french version

https://www.thesource.ca/fr-ca/ordinate ... /108048001

Before dishing out 170$, I want to know if I change PC, or HD, can I move MS office from one HD to another?

I was looking at amazon and you could buy only key card because I don't have an optical drive and I didn't know if there is a difference between a key card or getting the dvd disk for transfering between PC or HD if it crashes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-Office- ... B0148BYIAO
11 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12517 posts
3227 upvotes
BobTheSnake wrote: So, I want to buy ms office 2016 at thesource.ca , french version

https://www.thesource.ca/fr-ca/ordinate ... /108048001

Before dishing out 170$, I want to know if I change PC, or HD, can I move MS office from one HD to another?

I was looking at amazon and you could buy only key card because I don't have an optical drive and I didn't know if there is a difference between a key card or getting the dvd disk for transfering between PC or HD if it crashes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-Office- ... B0148BYIAO
Starting with Office 2013, Office licenses can move from PC to PC. You shouldn't have a problem. Also there's no difference really between getting a key and DVD. With the key, you just need to go on Microsoft's website and download Office rather than install from a DVD.

Also check out this thread. You might be eligible getting it for dirt cheap: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/microso ... ns-985675/

...or if not, there are less ethical ways of getting it cheap. Also in that thread.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13296 posts
4636 upvotes
Don't buy it at full price.

Buy it on ebay, it's like $4US for 5 devices life time
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3600 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
sexyj wrote: Don't buy it at full price.

Buy it on ebay, it's like $4US for 5 devices life time
If you're going to be using a licence not meant for you, you might as well pay $0 and use one of the cracktivation methods at mydigitallife. It will take a little more time/investment, but then you gain knowledge for free future upgrades ;) .
(Not that I'm recommending piracy, but paying for an improper licence is just stupid.)

BTW, it's HDD (hard disc/disk drive). HD = high definition.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13296 posts
4636 upvotes
why is it stupid?

Not everyone got time to crack software like you do. All I had to do is sign into office 365 and install it... I can spare $5 of my hard earn money for the convenience... Even if the install get terminate, I'm pretty sure I've wasted $5 on more useless things.

I don't know how much you value your time.
rabbit wrote: If you're going to be using a licence not meant for you, you might as well pay $0 and use one of the cracktivation methods at mydigitallife. It will take a little more time/investment, but then you gain knowledge for free future upgrades ;) .
(Not that I'm recommending piracy, but paying for an improper licence is just stupid.)

BTW, it's HDD (hard disc/disk drive). HD = high definition.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8609 posts
5531 upvotes
Mississauga
Office 365 =/ Office 2016
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2737 upvotes
ON
You should be able to associate the key with your microsoft account and freely transfer it from device to device.
The same applies to (retail) windows keys.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3600 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
sexyj wrote: why is it stupid?

I don't know how much you value your time.
Personal opinion. I value my time, but I also value the power of knowledge, as well.

Bottom line is that it is up to the user on what route to take. My post was more to inform people of what they're (most likely) going to get, to best help them decide.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13296 posts
4636 upvotes
LOLOLOLOL

If you are a grown up and still consider pirating as knowledge, then you have much to consider about life choices.
rabbit wrote: Personal opinion. I value my time, but I also value the power of knowledge, as well.

Bottom line is that it is up to the user on what route to take. My post was more to inform people of what they're (most likely) going to get, to best help them decide.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
What would be the benefit of Office 2016 vs O365? At that price you could get O365 on multiple devices, plus cloud storage for almost 2 years.

Another suggestion would be to ask any college students you know, or ask friends to check their corporate pricing. You should be able to get it much cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8609 posts
5531 upvotes
Mississauga
As I understand it Office 365 is subscription based. If you stop paying you lose access to the program.

Personally, I like to own the software I use.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3600 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
sexyj wrote: If you are a grown up and still consider pirating as knowledge, then you have much to consider about life choices.
Regarding the Office cracktivation, if someone had invested the time in learning it, they would be able to apply it to more than just one installation/version of Office = value. FYI, I'm still running Office XP, so I'm not speaking personally.

Let's not forget that I'm not the one who is making suggestions to buy cheap, and most likely not licenced for their use, keys off eBay. I wouldn't have mentioned cracktivation at all, if not for that.

Over and out (since I'm getting no value out this thread :D ).