MS Outlook question - pls help me

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2018 12:38 pm
[OP]
Feb 9, 2016
123 posts
2 upvotes

MS Outlook question - pls help me

I have a pre-written paragraph for my customers in Word. If I start a new e-mail and copy & paste the paragraph, it looks exactly the same.
But if I use Reply to my customer's previous e-mail and copy & past the paragraph, the colour and font look different. Anybody has the same experience?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
fbjin01 wrote: I have a pre-written paragraph for my customers in Word. If I start a new e-mail and copy & paste the paragraph, it looks exactly the same.
But if I use Reply to my customer's previous e-mail and copy & past the paragraph, the colour and font look different. Anybody has the same experience?
Select "Text" format for the email to erase all hidden formatting, then switch back to HTML format.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2016
123 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you. Where can I find "Text" option?
[OP]
Feb 9, 2016
123 posts
2 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: Select "Text" format for the email to erase all hidden formatting, then switch back to HTML format.
I tried it but doesn't work. Any other way to solve this issue? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
fbjin01 wrote: Thank you. Where can I find "Text" option?
In the Message menu, Format Text -> As Plain Text

erases all existing formatting from the message.

You can then switch back to "As HTML" to use your own formatting. But if you then paste in text that contains its own formatting, there's no guarantee that it will be rendered the same in Outlook as it was in the original.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33517 posts
7147 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
They usually change the colour to blue when replying. The easiest thing to do is to highlight the text and change the colour back to Black.
Oct 12, 2005
272 posts
75 upvotes
Markham, ON
After copying from Word, go into Outlook. When you paste, instead of just hitting CTRL-V on your keyboard, just right-click your mouse/trackpad, and then click the farthest right Paste Options (as indicated by the arrow). That will remove all text formatting from what you copy from Word and just paste the unformatted text, which should have the same format of the email you are replying to.

You can also change the default behaviour of Paste. In Outlook, create a new message by pressing CTRL-N. Near the top left, click the inverted triangle under Paste, and then click Set Default Paste. You will see the Editor Options window come up, and Advanced selected on the left. On the right hand side, scroll down to the Cut, copy, and paste section. Change the Pasting from other programs option to Keep text only. Click OK.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12007 posts
2616 upvotes
I think some of you guys are missing OP's problem. He wants to retain the font and color that's in Word, but when copying it from Word to Outlook for replies, it changes the font and color and doesn't want to manually adjust it back in Outlook. It would help if you had pictures and what version of Outlook/Word you're using.

It seems to me like the reply is keeping whatever font and color set from whoever sent the email. I remember older versions of Outlook doing this... I'm mean really old like 2003.

One sure fire way to always retain the font and color is to paste as a picture.