Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 2, 2007
149 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal

MS Store - Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One 40$

Hey guys, I have been waiting for a deal on this device and I just saw that Microsoft store is selling Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One for 40$.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/ms ... .318057000

Don't forget to use your favorite cashback website.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19854 posts
5928 upvotes
Too bad I doesn't work with cable. The device is moot in my area with 3 channels but other areas may be good. Did they ever update the software so it can be used as a PVR? It says you can pause live TV for up to 30 minutes. Not quite the same as recording shows from the guide. If you want to record from cable Hauppage has other products that will work, just not this one (unfortunately)...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5548 posts
1208 upvotes
calgary
DougO wrote: Too bad I doesn't work with cable. The device is moot in my area with 3 channels but other areas may be good. Did they ever update the software so it can be used as a PVR?
No in fact they canceled that all together
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2975 posts
759 upvotes
Belle River
If anyone was expecting recording/DVR functionality and hasn't kept up on recent news, we're not getting it. That feature has been officially "put on hold" with no indication they plan to bring it later.
"After careful consideration, we've decided to put development of DVR for Over-the-Air TV on hold to focus our attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming experiences across Xbox One and Windows 10.”
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1183 posts
851 upvotes
Whitby
Any idea whether this would work on Nexus player? Live channels have support for USB tuners, not sure whether this would be supported out of the box.
Oct 24, 2004
788 posts
163 upvotes
hystavito wrote: If anyone was expecting recording/DVR functionality and hasn't kept up on recent news, we're not getting it. That feature has been officially "put on hold" with no indication they plan to bring it later.
Ya probably Rogers and Bell are behind it. Too bad or I would have purchased it.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1023 upvotes
abshahul wrote: Any idea whether this would work on Nexus player? Live channels have support for USB tuners, not sure whether this would be supported out of the box.
Don't believe any Android device has the drivers for a USB TV tuner. I have a 950Q lying around and would love it if it worked but alas...
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Apr 1, 2004
725 posts
41 upvotes
drunkgoat wrote: does it work on PC?
also want to know. need one to replace my old pci tuner for mythtv
Nov 24, 2008
909 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary
packet1 wrote: also want to know. need one to replace my old pci tuner for mythtv
Well, the page notes compatibility with Windows, and including a TV. Plus, you can buy the Mohu Leaf 50 for $40 at checkout if you don't already have an antenna.

Edit

Xbox One TV Tuner System Requirements
Xbox One:
Any Xbox One model for the U.S. or Canada
Internet connection
Windows PC:
Microsoft® Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 or Vista or Windows XP with Service Pack 2
WinTV v8 application available as a download

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_xboxtv.html
[OP]
Jul 2, 2007
149 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
I read from a few places that is saying it's a rebrand of Hauppauge 1191 WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner so it might work on PC.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/xbox-one/ ... -available
The Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One costs $59.99 at the Microsoft Store Online, about $10 cheaper than the identical Hauppauge 1191 WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner which has been available since—wait for it—2003.
http://www.techhive.com/article/2925650 ... ction.html
The hardware itself is not fancy. Microsoft has basically slapped its name on an existing WinTV-HVR-955Q tuner from Hauppauge, put it in a green box, and chopped $20 off the sticker price. In fact, if you have the existing tuner, it should work just fine with the Xbox One.
Also a bit more info on Amazon.ca
What's in the Box
Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner - Hi-Speed USB adapter with improved over-the-air TV reception
Portable antenna
USB extension cable
Activation code for the new Hauppauge WinTV v8 application for Windows

Quick installation guide
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1077 posts
379 upvotes
Abbotsford
hystavito wrote: If anyone was expecting recording/DVR functionality and hasn't kept up on recent news, we're not getting it. That feature has been officially "put on hold" with no indication they plan to bring it later.
Crap! This was the whole reason I bought the tuner. I wonder if MS will offer refunds
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4638 upvotes
Montreal
So is there any alternative to get digital TV on a PC without resorting to a digital box? My K-World USB TV tuner is now dead since Videotron has shut down analog cable.
Oct 11, 2004
845 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Microsoft has handled this all pretty badly. Starting from when they released this stick and made the system incompatible with the previous version of the Hauppage stick (950Q I think it was). Now they have been selling these things and have dropped their promise of adding a DVR. Better off to get a more expensive solution from Tivo, or Tablo or one of their competitors. I am fine with using windows media centre and an xbox 360 as an extender which I have been using since the Windows vista days. Would have been nice if they had made the Xbox one an extender also though (and if they still supported media centre)
Apr 22, 2009
643 posts
392 upvotes
Ottawa
D'oh! I missed out on this deal.

If anybody bought this and has buyer's remorse, I would be willing to buy it off you.

I am in Ottawa/Gatineau.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4031 posts
296 upvotes
newdeal wrote: Microsoft has handled this all pretty badly. Starting from when they released this stick and made the system incompatible with the previous version of the Hauppage stick (950Q I think it was). Now they have been selling these things and have dropped their promise of adding a DVR. Better off to get a more expensive solution from Tivo, or Tablo or one of their competitors. I am fine with using windows media centre and an xbox 360 as an extender which I have been using since the Windows vista days. Would have been nice if they had made the Xbox one an extender also though (and if they still supported media centre)
Same here. Been using xbox 360 as a media extender as well. One of the reasons I bought an xbox one was that extra functionality of a ota dir/media centre. Microsoft, why! :(
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3985 posts
725 upvotes
Windsor
Bought this at full price and regret it.... Not only did they cancel the PVR function but when I try and use it split screen with a demanding game (Forza 6 for example), the tv really chugs.... Pointless. Only good part about it is the TV guide.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2482 posts
2278 upvotes
Whitby
I can only speak for myself, but I bought one about 2 months ago on sale for $50 for my pc and I love it. Comes with a small antenna (very small) but it does the job and I am pretty sure it does have a recording feature. Actually brings in more channels along with my clearstream antennae.

Seems like a bit of a resource hog on the pc, but it works for watching local OTA.

Wait until it is on sale again, but worth buying for pc use.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19854 posts
5928 upvotes
I went the other way and got an HD-PVR 2 and a Chinese made splitter so I could record cable, satellite, OTA, etc. Works great but I wish the device could record higher bit rates. Can only do about 13.5 Mbps (computer card version goes up to 20). Additional software I've bought lets me use it as a DVR but I don't bother with that as I have that on my sat receiver. Don't know what Hauppage and others are going to do about recording VR or 4K. The requirements might be just too much or too expensive...