Expired Hot Deals

[Microsoft Store] My Passport Ultra Metal Edition 1TB Portable Hard Drive (Blue/Black) $70

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2015 5:23 pm
[OP]
Apr 14, 2013
365 posts
190 upvotes
Brampton

[Microsoft Store] My Passport Ultra Metal Edition 1TB Portable Hard Drive (Blue/Black) $70

Ended up getting a 1 TB for my Xbox One. Was going to get a 2TB but it's sold out.
34 replies
Nov 18, 2010
132 posts
125 upvotes
Thanks! Picked 1 up...would've liked the silver but OOS
Jan 25, 2007
339 posts
117 upvotes
Anybody know if it's SATA inside?

I bought the 2GB hoping to use it in PS4, but it's USB right on the drive :(
Jul 28, 2008
197 posts
78 upvotes
GTA
kNZA wrote: Anybody know if it's SATA inside?

I bought the 2GB hoping to use it in PS4, but it's USB right on the drive :(
It's generally assumed that all new WD externals these days are frankendrives, so I would avoid this in your case.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2013
365 posts
190 upvotes
Brampton
domenic72 wrote: Thanks! Picked 1 up...would've liked the silver but OOS
For me it doesn't matter, but I would call them to see if they can switch the colour, I just checked they added some silver ones.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1573 posts
782 upvotes
kevin634 wrote: It's generally assumed that all new WD externals these days are frankendrives, so I would avoid this in your case.
Yeah, not sure about their 3.5" external drives, but *ALL* their 2.5" external drives have the sata interface replaced with a USB one... which should make any semi computer-competent person want to avoid them.
Jul 28, 2008
197 posts
78 upvotes
GTA
Scott86 wrote: Yeah, not sure about their 3.5" external drives, but *ALL* their 2.5" external drives have the sata interface replaced with a USB one... which should make any semi computer-competent person want to avoid them.
Right, I forgot to specify I meant the 2.5" drives. I haven't looked up their 3.5" drives.
Nov 3, 2012
295 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
Scott86 wrote: Yeah, not sure about their 3.5" external drives, but *ALL* their 2.5" external drives have the sata interface replaced with a USB one... which should make any semi computer-competent person want to avoid them.
Do you know which brands haven't done that?
Jun 15, 2010
168 posts
102 upvotes
Richmond
seems OOS online. =(
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1573 posts
782 upvotes
antoniomn wrote: Do you know which brands haven't done that?
Seagate, SOME toshiba and Dells... Some of the other less mainstream brands.

The easiest way to find out is by looking at the length of the enclosure. The main justification(atleast for consumers) for integrating the USB interface, is to shrink the overall size of the drive. Ones that have a SATA-to-USB converter have to add an extra board that adds around 2cm to the overall length. Dont know the exact dimensions, but you can usually tell just by looking at them.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
When they were 9.97$ for the 2TB "normal" passport, I couldn't "avoid" them. 2 years later, running 24/7 as media storage on my server, and the drives are still trucking. No problem with the USB port.

Anyway, if the control board fails, even a SATA port wouldn't help.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2750 posts
821 upvotes
West
Scott86 wrote: Seagate, SOME toshiba and Dells... Some of the other less mainstream brands.

The easiest way to find out is by looking at the length of the enclosure. The main justification(atleast for consumers) for integrating the USB interface, is to shrink the overall size of the drive. Ones that have a SATA-to-USB converter have to add an extra board that adds around 2cm to the overall length. Dont know the exact dimensions, but you can usually tell just by looking at them.
So make sure you all really examine those pictures of it online before ordering so you'll know what's inside...
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1921 posts
215 upvotes
Is this not a normal price for a 1 TB external drive ?
Oct 19, 2013
379 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ahato wrote: Is this not a normal price for a 1 TB external drive ?
Nope. Usually 1TB externals run about $85-$105 depending on make.

I pulled the trigger on the 1TB last evening. It showed in stock when I ordered but it shows as Back-ordered when I log in to my account. FYI.

The WD 2TB is $109 in store at Costco and $119 online at Costco, so $99 from MS Store is a good deal! Out of stock on the MS Store currently for 2TB.