• May 1st, 2021 8:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8295 posts
2916 upvotes
Maple

MS Surface pro vs iPad pro

Which one is better functionalities? My son needs one for university for portable and drawable. He will have his desktop with him. He is coming from usage of Lenovo T480 and Legion Y540. Which is better. Budget $1.5K-2K.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19685 posts
5774 upvotes
Toronto
Really depends on what he is using it for.

For productivity and some university classes, the MS Surface Pro with Windows may suit him better. However, for other type of classes or for general note taking, the iPad Pro might be better. What do you mean by "drawable"?

You might want to ask him what he needs.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8295 posts
2916 upvotes
Maple
EugW wrote: Really depends on what he is using it for.

For productivity and some university classes, the MS Surface Pro with Windows may suit him better. However, for other type of classes or for general note taking, the iPad Pro might be better. What do you mean by "drawable"?

You might want to ask him what he needs.
Thanks for your advice, you hit the spot, he will use it for note taking, sometimes he says he needs to draw that is why T480 doesn’t work well for him. He will be in 3rd year of Life Science.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3660 posts
810 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Thanks for your advice, you hit the spot, he will use it for note taking, sometimes he says he needs to draw that is why T480 doesn’t work well for him. He will be in 3rd year of Life Science.
Seems to me a lot of students are using iPads these days. This guy is a UK med school grad who has a number of videos on how he used an iPad to take notes etc.: https://m.youtube.com/c/aliabdaal/playlists
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33861 posts
7500 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The T480 is relatively new. I would get him an iPad Pro with the keyboard and pencil

He will have the best of both worlds
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8295 posts
2916 upvotes
Maple
Gee wrote: The T480 is relatively new. I would get him an iPad Pro with the keyboard and pencil

He will have the best of both worlds
Good choice!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19685 posts
5774 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, for life sciences, usually an iPad Pro would be good. I don't know his preferences, but I am partial to the 11" size for portability.

However, in that size, you have two options, iPad Air 10.9" and iPad Pro 11", and I'd advise for both getting the Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil (2nd generation). The iPad Air's performance is already fast enough, so the speed boost of the iPad Pro will be unnecessary. IMO, the only real benefit of the iPad Pro here besides storage space is Face ID, which on an iPad is a little more convenient than Touch ID. The iPad Pro also has ProMotion (120 Hz display) but I have that on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" and I don't think it's really that big of a deal (although some people really like it).

Note also that since he's a student, he will get an educational discount on whatever model he chooses. See here:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/goto/educationrouting

Also, if he can wait until summer, he can qualify for the Back-To-School promotion. I don't think the iPad Air would qualify for the summer 2021 promotion, but the iPad Pro likely would. Here are the details for the promotion last year:

https://www.apple.com/ca/promo/pdf/CA-e ... 9_2020.pdf
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33861 posts
7500 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
EugW wrote: Note also that since he's a student, he will get an educational discount on whatever model he chooses. See here:
Their educational discount is pathetic. 10%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8295 posts
2916 upvotes
Maple
EugW wrote: Yeah, for life sciences, usually an iPad Pro would be good. I don't know his preferences, but I am partial to the 11" size for portability.

However, in that size, you have two options, iPad Air 10.9" and iPad Pro 11", and I'd advise for both getting the Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil (2nd generation). The iPad Air's performance is already fast enough, so the speed boost of the iPad Pro will be unnecessary. IMO, the only real benefit of the iPad Pro here besides storage space is Face ID, which on an iPad is a little more convenient than Touch ID. The iPad Pro also has ProMotion (120 Hz display) but I have that on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" and I don't think it's really that big of a deal (although some people really like it).

Note also that since he's a student, he will get an educational discount on whatever model he chooses. See here:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/goto/educationrouting

Also, if he can wait until summer, he can qualify for the Back-To-School promotion. I don't think the iPad Air would qualify for the summer 2021 promotion, but the iPad Pro likely would. Here are the details for the promotion last year:

https://www.apple.com/ca/promo/pdf/CA-e ... 9_2020.pdf
Thanks for your links.

I like iPad, for their quality. I am typing on iPad Air (yes, original iPadAir 1). Most likely we will get iPad, not sure yet Air or Pro, it’s up to my son. iPad will go very well with us, we use 3 iPhone 11, 2 iPadAir 1, iPadAir 2.

Too bad, the promotion for iPadAir is over.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5525 posts
1495 upvotes
Toronto
teoconca wrote: Too bad, the promotion for iPadAir is over.
Wait for two months, and the Back to School will be on again. Free AirPods.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8340 posts
706 upvotes
Scarborough
If you don't game, iPad Air 1 is still fine. My wife still uses it for YouTube and chat. My kids have last gen iPad and iPad Mini 5.
teoconca wrote: I like iPad, for their quality. I am typing on iPad Air (yes, original iPadAir 1). Most likely we will get iPad,
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19685 posts
5774 upvotes
Toronto
teoconca wrote: Thanks for your links.

I like iPad, for their quality. I am typing on iPad Air (yes, original iPadAir 1). Most likely we will get iPad, not sure yet Air or Pro, it’s up to my son. iPad will go very well with us, we use 3 iPhone 11, 2 iPadAir 1, iPadAir 2.
iPad Air 2020 vs. iPad Pro 2021 Buyer's Guide

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ipad-ai ... -pro-2021/

teoconca wrote: Too bad, the promotion for iPadAir is over.
milhaus wrote: Wait for two months, and the Back to School will be on again. Free AirPods.

No. While there was (and still is) edu pricing on the Air, I don't think the Air ever qualified for the free AirPods. If that is also true in 2021, then that would be a pretty good incentive to get the iPad Pro.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15536 posts
7017 upvotes
Ottawa
EugW wrote: No. While there was (and still is) edu pricing on the Air, I don't think the Air ever qualified for the free AirPods. If that is also true in 2021, then that would be a pretty good incentive to get the iPad Pro.
Ipad Air qualified for the free airpods.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/appl ... o-airpods/
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1486 posts
841 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Thanks for your links.

I feel 64GB of the base model of Air is not enough for productivity and if you upgrade it to 256GB, for a whooping $200, it gets real close to the iPad Pro, with the new M1 and 8GB of ram (on the base model), 120Hz screen as well. For the Pro, going from 128GB to 256Gb is only $130.

All promos and education saving aside, the Air 256GB is $979 vs Pro 128GB for $999 or 256GB for $1129, the choice seems much favorable to the iPad Pro.

I just ordered my iPad Pro this morning. Went for 256GB, might as well be future proof. Estimated delivery is early June... No education or back to school promo for me, but for you, if you're going for the Pro route, you might as well wait for the back to school promo that starts every June of each year.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15536 posts
7017 upvotes
Ottawa
Gin Martini wrote: but for you, if you're going for the Pro route, you might as well wait for the back to school promo that starts every June of each year.
yeah, last year it was middle of June for the Edu Promo, earlier than usual IIRC.

In 2019, I think it was the first week of July.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
2805 posts
2474 upvotes
Toronto
Is it a dream to have mac version of surface book with pen?
To the moon