• Jun 8th, 2016 10:50 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1951 posts
711 upvotes

MS Surface Replacement

My Surface 3 crapped out last night with a battery that won't charge. The unit is no longer able to turn on.

MS technical support is going to send me a shipping box to exchange the unit under warranty.

My wife said she did our taxes on it and I still have Dropbox box open and a number of other documents with sensitive info on it.

Is it a concern that I'm not able to delete this info before sending the unit back to Microsoft? The unit isn't able to turn on but will MS try to get it working and open up the O/S once they receive it?

They are sending me an exchange device so they won't be returning the same unit
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It really depends on the individual handling it.

I often do repairs and I find lots of sensitive information, but I just wipe the drive. The info is useless to me other than telling me their annual income.

Even if I had access to your Dropbox account, what do you expect me to do with it?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
574 upvotes
No MS tech is risking their job over 1 random persons info. Unless they knew that was bill gates pc and his bank info, its a waste of time.

Employees who run fraud @ work are the ones who deal with many Cx info daily, where you can gain from volume.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
won't turn on even if your have power plugged in?
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
cfanalyst wrote: No MS tech is risking their job over 1 random persons info. Unless they knew that was bill gates pc and his bank info, its a waste of time.

Employees who run fraud @ work are the ones who deal with many Cx info daily, where you can gain from volume.
I'm going to say this is not a good statement.

More than likely MS isn't even going to see this unit, it will be a 3rd party repair facility.

Even still, all it takes is one disgruntled employee.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1951 posts
711 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: won't turn on even if your have power plugged in?
Correct. Battery wouldn't charge and finally just drained itself completely apparently. Was on a call with MS for nearly an hour trying to trouble-shoot

Seems to be a fairly common problem with all Surface models according to the net.

MS Support dodged my question on whether a new or refurb unit will be sent in exchange :(
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1753 posts
2720 upvotes
Pallet Town
bobor wrote: Correct. Battery wouldn't charge and finally just drained itself completely apparently. Was on a call with MS for nearly an hour trying to trouble-shoot

Seems to be a fairly common problem with all Surface models according to the net.

MS Support dodged my question on whether a new or refurb unit will be sent in exchange :(
They almost always send a reburb. I had a SP3 sent in for warranty repair, and they just sent a refurb